Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    TTony said:

Not everyone who found £2499 for an impulse buy guitar managed to find £20 for our annual fund raiser to keep the forum going though.

Which makes you think ...
    I must have missed this....... sorry! How do we donate?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    TTony said:

Not everyone who found £2499 for an impulse buy guitar managed to find £20 for our annual fund raiser to keep the forum going though.

Which makes you think ...
    It does indeed Tony - you obviously need to have a flash sale with 40% off for a limited time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    newi123 said:

I must have missed this....... sorry! How do we donate?
    me too..  is there a fundraiser thread ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @tomajoha did you think you'd collectively drain the FB members of 100 grand when starting this thread?! If there was a custodial sentence for causing GAS, you'd be a lifer. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Whitecat said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Couple more 59s have showed up at GG at £3.5k.

Could be tempted....... what do these go for ordinarily?
    I think they were £5499.

If it's the figuring you like and you're a gambling man I'd hold out to see what Peach and Coda get next... because some of the R8s have remarkably figured tops. That is literally the only difference this year between these guitars - the necks are identical.
    ....also how come they still have a bunch of seemingly identical 59s on at £5.3k?  

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Fishboy7 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Couple more 59s have showed up at GG at £3.5k.

Could be tempted....... what do these go for ordinarily?
    I think they were £5499.

If it's the figuring you like and you're a gambling man I'd hold out to see what Peach and Coda get next... because some of the R8s have remarkably figured tops. That is literally the only difference this year between these guitars - the necks are identical.
    ....also how come they still have a bunch of seemingly identical 59s on at £5.3k?  

Different model year I think. The deal is very specifically limited to the 2017 editions.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    I like to think I single-handedly kept the UK economy ticking over (peach and GG's cash-flow too) And didn't you read the small print @Panama_Jack666 ? Anyone benefiting from this deal must donate £5 to my own Gibson R8 benevolent fund - karma innit?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    tomajoha said:
    I like to think I single-handedly kept the UK economy ticking over (peach and GG's cash-flow too) And didn't you read the small print @Panama_Jack666 ? Anyone benefiting from this deal must donate £5 to my own Gibson R8 benevolent fund - karma innit?

We’re now relying on you to give us the heads up on the next blowout.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajoha said:

Isn't it almost the opposite - I'm sure the recession happened because loads of people took out finance on stuff they couldn't afford?! Ha!

Anyway! Good show, cheers for the heads up! 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    Ok chaps. First impressions, superb!

Probably the best historics I have ever bought.

Finish is great and feels thin, but I will be buffing off the VOS at some point as I always do. 
    The necks are very '59, just right, shoulders perfect, feels great in the hand. Setup, intonation, neck relief, action, all spot on. Pickup heights and polepieces have been adjusted well too, so they balance well between the pickups straight away. 
    The bridge sits at the perfect height, which is something which varies, but these are almost identical, and almost identical to the Terry Morgan replica I have here at the moment. Tailpeice is screwed down to the deck, but there's no catching on the back of the ABR-1. So they really have nailed the neck angle on these. The fingerboard on the washed cherry is slightly darker and very straight grained, almost striped parallel to the neck. The iced tea board is slightly lighter and has more movement in the grain, but still very good. The iced tea shows a fair amount of figure and flame in the right light, the cherry not so much but it has character all the same.
    The washed cherry is 8lb 12oz, and the iced tea is 8lb 6oz. Both guitars are lively, but acoustically they are quite different, the lighter guitar is louder acoustically, whilst the heavier guitar is a little more subdued and tighter. Plugged in, the washed cherry is tighter in the bottom end, whilst the iced tea is hollower in the mid. They really do both have their own character! But I do really like them both. Both guitars drive my amps very well and may well have more output than the TM with Wizz PAFs in it, they are slightly hotter sounding and a bit more aggressive, which I like!

Only one downer. Broken switch tip on the washed cherry, apparent as soon as I opened the case, as there were bits of switch tip floating around. I have emailed Peach about it, and I hope they send me a replacement.

This was a great journey with a great outcome. 

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    That Iced Tea is bloody lovely!  Did you know it was going to be that flamey from Peach's pics?
    edited August 2018
    Twinfan said:
    That Iced Tea is bloody lovely!  Did you know it was going to be that flamey from Peach's pics?
    I did have a suspicion, yes. It was one of the second batch, but as the one I originally bought was damaged and was never shipped, I got the pick of all the iced teas before they went on the site.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    The washed cherry looks much nicer than stock photos too.  Great purchases @Ossyrocks ;
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    @Ossyrocks Those look amazing. Happy NGD!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Ossyrocks said:
    Twinfan said:
    I did have a suspicion, yes. It was one of the second batch, but as the one I originally bought was damaged and was never shipped, I got the pick of all the iced teas before they went on the site.
    Effing gorgeous!  Congrats mate!
    Nice one - good weight too.  Bet you're well chuffed!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    @Ossyrocks ;sounds like the heavier ones may be more suited to high gain and the lighter ones suited to vintage/clean
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 291
    Lovely, the pair of them. I've not got an R8 from Peach indoors, but I've something else waiting for me ;)
    One for the pickup nerds.

Washed Cherry: 7.9k Neck, 8.0k Bridge

Iced Tea: 8.0k Neck, 8.0k Bridge

Allbeit measured off the jack. So could be slightly hotter.

Rob
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2018
    @Ossyrocks ;Absolutely stunning! My Cherry is due tomorrow or Friday, hope it turns out as nice as both of them!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Crappy iphone photo, moments after unwrapping here in the Slave Pits...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Congrats @Ossyrocks , bloody lovely! Shame about the switch tip, bit of an oversight there. Sure they will sort you though.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    Cool - I was wondering what the pickup specs would be.  I'll post mine up in a bit once the guitar arrives.

I think I'll be swapping mine out for some really low output humbuckers to make it something different to my other guitars.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    Twinfan said:
    Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    I think I'll be swapping mine out for some really low output humbuckers to make it something different to my other guitars.
    Not tempted to stick some EMGs in it?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Twinfan said:
    Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    Cool - I was wondering what the pickup specs would be.  I'll post mine up in a bit once the guitar arrives.

Interesting, I'm tempted to stick a p90 in the neck of mine when it arrives
    StefB said:

Not tempted to stick some EMGs in it?
    I don't want it THAT different!!!   ;)