Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot
1163164165166167169»

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1844
    edited March 2022
    Prices are only going in one direction for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    I sold my last one a couple of weeks ago for £2950. £450 profit. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    roberty said:

I think inflation will start to bite soon and send prices shooting up again. I'd say a high end Gibson is safer than cash right now. Having said that I'm no economist, more a pessimist 
    I have considered parking some cash savings into a higher end Gibson as a hedge against inflation but I'm not sure discretionary luxuries like guitars are the best asset to be holding if things go really tits up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    This thread seems to be nudging toward a move to the Economics section - anyone enjoying playing theirs? ;-) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    TimmyO said:
    This thread seems to be nudging toward a move to the Economics section - anyone enjoying playing theirs? ;-) 
    My favourite guitar to play is my Revstar now which has no speculative value ;-) I bought it on a whim with crypto profits (highly speculative)

It feels irresponsible to splurge on high value guitars but if you'd done it a few years ago it would have been financially shrewd. It's not just a lie we tell ourselves. I passed on a '56 Junior for £4k in 2017
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    Prices aren’t really going up, the cost of the 2017 is just aligning to what other year R8’s are worth. 

If you tried to sell your Peach Deal R8 in 2018 on here for £2,600 you would have got a lot of LOL’s. Now a few years down the line people are actually open to paying above what they sold at retail for as firstly it’s clear it was a one off and secondly they still offer good value vs other year R8. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Prices are higher in general now than they were in 2018.  I know the range has changed a bit with all the Murphy labs stuff, but a regular R0 is listed at £5.7k on Andertons.  The R9s were listed at around £5.2k in 2018 before the big blowout.
    I don't really follow custom shop prices but USA range prices are creeping up.  Peach have USA standards listed for £2.4k 
  • Barnezy said:
    Prices aren’t really going up, the cost of the 2017 is just aligning to what other year R8’s are worth. 

If you tried to sell your Peach Deal R8 in 2018 on here for £2,600 you would have got a lot of LOL’s. Now a few years down the line people are actually open to paying above what they sold at retail for as firstly it’s clear it was a one off and secondly they still offer good value vs other year R8. 

100% agree.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Can anyone take a pic of their guitar with the perspective of looking at the height of the strings away from the pickups, a profile angle, I guess.

Three reasons,
    1. my pickups are slightly sunken into the pickup rings and I want to see the height of yours.
    2. I want to see the height of your bridge.
    3. I want to see how far your strings are from the pickups.
    Are there any official guidelines about pickup height and string height on Gibson Custom Les Paul's, or any other Les Paul, I guess?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited May 2022
    Not an R8 but still a CS Gibson.  Away from home so only have these to hand.

Found a phone photo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    edited May 2022
    Looks pretty typical.
    Bridge height, allows for a second thumb wheel to be used to lock to height- see J Page for example.
    Tail piece, screwed down to the body, strings not fouling back of ABR, check.
    Pickups, initially set flush to top of rings, polepieces flush with cover. Bridge pickup should be around 3 mm below strings when fretted at last fret - depends on hotness of pickup, but based on a fairly average 8k resistance, neck pickup set to balance will be just below pickup ring, polepiece height will perhaps vary to taste.
    These are rough guidelines which will vary on individual guitars, depending on action, and neck angle, but pics show a fairly standard-standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @RaymondLin and @andy_k thank you so much! :-)

• Not got a picture handy of my '18 R9, but it's not miles out from @RaymondLin 's. The pickup rings are taller on the historics than regular production if I remember correctly, so it's not unusual to have pickups sat a bit below the top of the ring.

I'd not worry too much about pickup and pole piece height comparative to another guitar. It's one of those where if it sounds good it is good and going to be individual taste as to tone shaping, string balance and pickup balance

crunchman said: Prices are higher in general now than they were in 2018.  I know the range has changed a bit with all the Murphy labs stuff, but a regular R0 is listed at £5.7k on Andertons.  The R9s were listed at around £5.2k in 2018 before the big blowout.
     Agree. £5.2k sounds very familiar as the original RRP sticker price on my R9, although things did feel a bit more fluid even prior to the blowout. The range change is maybe why things haven't quite gone further still when compared to say Fender Custom Shop prices (not got exact numbers, but feels like a new CS Strat has gone from a bit over £2.5k to north of £3.5k), since ML represents a way to upsell into what I'd assume has a higher margin still.
  • This thread simply cannot fade away! I was a Peach blowout buyer and followed this thread although never previously contributed. I still have my R8 (completely stock) and absolutely love it. The notion that these were rushed out of the door in a panic, and therefore represent a ‘bad year’ is a tough sell. These are 2017 models, many of which were probably made in the back end of ‘16. Gibson only filed for Chapter 11 in May of 2018, when these were already sitting a a warehouse in Europe (hence the ease in which they could be monetised). Far from being a ‘runt litter’, these guitars actually represent the last of the Wilson/Gember era. I only played a couple, but they were amazing instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    ValveTone said:
    This thread simply cannot fade away! I was a Peach blowout buyer and followed this thread although never previously contributed. I still have my R8 (completely stock) and absolutely love it. The notion that these were rushed out of the door in a panic, and therefore represent a ‘bad year’ is a tough sell. These are 2017 models, many of which were probably made in the back end of ‘16. Gibson only filed for Chapter 11 in May of 2018, when these were already sitting a a warehouse in Europe (hence the ease in which they could be monetised). Far from being a ‘runt litter’, these guitars actually represent the last of the Wilson/Gember era. I only played a couple, but they were amazing instruments.
    That’s just chancers trying to get a cheap deal. I know for a fact there was nothing “wrong” with these, it was just to liquidate some money. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    It would be impressive for even Gibson to make every guitar in a year badly.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mine was nice but not very resonant. They do feel more luxurious than the USA range, nicer colours and materials, better attention to detail. Mine didn’t really sing but I kind of miss it all the same. The standard range Heritage H-150 I bought recently is a better guitar, and may well be my end-game Les Paul
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    I had loads of these pass through my hands in trades, or ones I bought and eventually sold on. They were all fairly mediocre, but none as good as the 2019 68 custom I now have. Is it possible they’re all average? I doubt it, but I found more stand out examples from later years, and many outstanding Murphy Lab models that really resonate surprisingly well for such a solid lump.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    I sold mine to @Jonathanthomas83 and would buy it back in a heartbeat. Fantastic guitars for the money. 
  • Barnezy said:
    I sold mine to @Jonathanthomas83 and would buy it back in a heartbeat. Fantastic guitars for the money. 
    I’ll forever be grateful for that. I adore the thing and it’s being well looked after in the interim. 

I really don’t understand the whole “they’re bang average” thing. They’re easily as consistent as any R8’s I’ve played in shops since. I’ve never played one in store and thought “that’s easily better than mine, I should “upgrade””. 

Great guitars and I will always, always regret having to sell my first one. And forever in debt to @Barnezy for allowing me a second chance on his.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    My R8 was great, sold it to fund other purchases but would probably buy it back one day if it surfaced. Great guitars, mine was very well built, resonant and sounded as I'd expect a genuine one to sound.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• I've recently been looking out for one of these having missed out at the time, and last year when I blinked and missed one that passed through the classifieds.

There's a few available used right now, but all appear to be on the heavier side of what I'd prefer.

From my perspective, spooky timing then that this thread would rear its head once again.
    I've recently been looking out for one of these having missed out at the time, and last year when I blinked and missed one that passed through the classifieds.

There's a few available used right now, but all appear to be on the heavier side of what I'd prefer.

From my perspective, spooky timing then that this thread would rear its head once again.
    I don't wish to alarm you but some of us have been reading your thoughts
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • “In the future, everyone will own a Peach R8 for 15 minutes“

Andy Warhol
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter