Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    edited August 2018
    What a weird turn this discussion has taken. Of course these would not have been so popular if the price was £2.5k in the first place, the whole point was that it was not and many suspect it won't be again - particularly for this spec (True Historic plastics; hide glue, top carve etc.).

Whatever happens with prices in future; these were well-specced R8s for the price of a new Les Paul Standard. I very much doubt that anyone who has bought one on here had to decide between buying an R8 and putting food on the table. 

Buying online gives you (at least) two weeks to try a guitar in the comfort of your own home with your own amp etc so there's very little risk from that perspective either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    mli3 said:
    I caved..
    Congrats - what did you get?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    johnl said:
    What a weird turn this discussion has taken. Of course these would not have been so popular if the price was £2.5k in the first place, the whole point was that it was not and many suspect it won't be again - particular for this spec (True Historic plastics; hide glue, top carve etc.).

Whatever happens with prices in future; these were well-specced R8s for the price of a new Les Paul Standard. I very much doubt that anyone who has bought one on here had to decide between buying an R8 and putting food on the table.
    My point exactly.  Some may have stretched themselves given the circumstances, but certainly not most buyers I suspect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    JerkMoans said:
    So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?
    Wonderful timbre.
    Finally! See? We can change the world one R8 at a time :)
    Honestly, it's something else.  No regrets whatsoever

Today is going to be interesting with all the bank holiday Peach orders arriving

Can't believe there are still more being sold to forum members now!
  • It is, I suspect, the deal of a lifetime. For me, I've wanted an R8 for quite some time and have come close to dropping around the same price for a used one. The opportunity to get a well specced, brand new one, with interest free finance, was just too good to miss. It's certainly not a buy to sell purchase. This should be a lifer. 

I also don't get that some people seem to have only come to this thread to have a pop at people jumping on the deal. Maybe I'm reading the inflection wrong, maybe I'm right. Live and let live! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    impmann said:
    I'm stunned by this.

For all the "Gibson quality is crap" threads on here and now this...

A 'feeding frenzy' is a good description and I understand the bargain chaser mentality - I genuinely wonder how many would have bought these guitars if the launch price had been £2.5k in the first place and how many have taken a punt thinking they can flog theirs on for more than £2.5k in six months time when the frenzy has died down (if they don't particularly like the instrument).
    It seems Peach did a thorough job on weeding out the QC rejects Gibson let slip through - 8 out of 50 - but then they also took time to weigh and photograph. I do wonder if we'll be hearing of any issues from GG customers. It sounds as if their stock simply got distributed across their stores, and some of those may not have got around to opening the box before it sold!

Knowing you're buying a new guitar at close to secondhand prices is certainly a safety net, and the idea of grabbing a never-to-be-repeated bargain is quite irresistible! (Though we may well see repeats due to Gibson's state/current practice of clearing stock).

Perhaps what puzzles me more is that these seem to come up used at slightly lower prices - and as CS guitars, no doubt they're usually in pretty good nick. That suggests anyone who really, really wanted one could've afforded a used one. Surely the feeding frenzy can't be all down to available credit? I think the bargain chasing must've played a big part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1257
    when are peach getting the next batch in ??
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2018
    Indeed. This is a guitar that sells at nearly 4 grand, that is an aspirational instrument for guitarists, and by a quirk of Gibson's financial position is bring got rid of at a bargain price.

It really doesn't surprise me that people want in.

Just because the reduced price is still a lot of money, doesn't change the fact that it is a bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bigsby said:

It seems Peach did a thorough job on weeding out the QC rejects Gibson let slip through - 8 out of 50 - but then they also took time to weigh and photograph. I do wonder if we'll be hearing of any issues from GG customers. It sounds as if their stock simply got distributed across their stores, and some of those may not have got around to opening the box before it sold!
    There was a nick on mine behind the nut (GG).  Posted it a few pages back.  I sent them a photo and they offered a part refund off the bat.  Couldn't bear the thought of such a nice guitar being decapitated and pulped
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    Twinfan said:
    I get that and of course am more than aware of differing financial circumstances.

I appreciate it's all relative but suggest that the average income of a potential GT3 purchaser is probably significantly higher that the peops who purchased these R8's. I could be wrong of course.
    So do GT3 owners not play guitar and frequent forums?

I do yes... :)

Si
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Good man - in which case you should understand my point!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It is, I suspect, the deal of a lifetime. For me, I've wanted an R8 for quite some time and have come close to dropping around the same price for a used one. The opportunity to get a well specced, brand new one, with interest free finance, was just too good to miss. It's certainly not a buy to sell purchase. This should be a lifer. 

I also don't get that some people seem to have only come to this thread to have a pop at people jumping on the deal. Maybe I'm reading the inflection wrong, maybe I'm right. Live and let live! 
    Honestly I'm not having a pop at anybody - far from it. I actually think it's a great deal and I truly believe all of the buyers will be over the moon.

I just never imagined that there would be that much demand.

Si
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Despite thinking I don't need one, I'm ready to pounce if I see the right one.

I'm not keen on the Cherry unfortunately, despite loving some of the tops.

I don't have kids or any debt, at all, and it took me years of being skint and training to get where I am, so if I do get one, cheaper and a better investment than a modern car!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Please no more talk of debt.cost etc. I'm sorry I raised it.. :)

Go and enjoy - there are no pockets on shrouds remember..

Si
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    johnl said:
    mli3 said:
    I caved..
    found a dirty lemon at G G :-)
    mli3 said:
    johnl said:
    mli3 said:
    I caved..
    found a dirty lemon at G G :-)
    Excellent work
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Bigsby said:
    Perhaps what puzzles me more is that these seem to come up used at slightly lower prices - and as CS guitars, no doubt they're usually in pretty good nick. That suggests anyone who really, really wanted one could've afforded a used one. Surely the feeding frenzy can't be all down to available credit? I think the bargain chasing must've played a big part.
    There's the attraction of ordering from a reputable dealer, with the benefits of quick delivery and the ability to return if unhappy.  Plus the choice of several similar guitars - assuming they last long enough for you to choose!  As compared with scouring dealers/eBay/Reverb etc for the occasional used model which may not be the colour, weight etc you really wanted - and could turn out to be not as described. 

But of course this is a feeding frenzy, guitars available at a price which seems almost too good to be true and the sense that everyone else may be getting an unbelievable bargain while you're missing out.  I keep looking at this thread just to marvel at the number of posts... I don't really have any wish to buy an R8 but several times over the last few days I've found myself on the Peach site "just to see what they've got".  Everyone likes a bargain.  And I do find myself thinking I should buy one just because it is such a bargain.

I don't think I'm going to cave in, but if some other Gibson CS models are dropped into the market at similarly reduced prices in the coming weeks it may be a different story....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    I can’t believe there aren’t r9s & other models similarly stocked waiting to be dropped.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    Having started this thread with no intention of buying another '58 and simply wanting to flag a good deal to fellow members I now feel like Dr Frankenstein. This bastard thread keeps looking at me, tears in it's eyes whispering: "Kill me please.....". Oh and Peach deffo need to offer me a bargain on a ES345 or a something equally drool worthy. Although I think @peachguitarsdotcom is probably sipping a nice cool martini somewhere after this feeding frenzy!
    Fifty9 said:
    I can’t believe there aren’t r9s & other models similarly stocked waiting to be dropped.
    Let's see what happens.. :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited August 2018
    For the ninetieth time, R9s (and R0s) are 'similarly stocked' and have the same discount % applied. They are £3499. GG has loads.

Nobody's talking about them because for an extra £1k you're getting almost nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Fifty9 said:
    GuitarGuitar already have loads of 59’s and 60’s discounted down to £3499 from £5899
    There we go - a thousand comments
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    dbphoto said:
    Fifty9 said:
    GuitarGuitar already have loads of 59’s and 60’s discounted down to £3499 from £5899
    yeah that's the same "40% then rounded down a tad" discount.

flip me, some people pay nearly 6 grand for these things? ???   :o
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    terada said:
    There we go - a thousand comments
    I don’t look at any other forums, what’s the chat been like elsewhere regarding this deal?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    So I succumbed and bought one blind from GG. I`ve since checked out the vids on the Peach YT channel, and am slightly worried that R8s only seem to be capable of playing middle of the road blues - is that why they were cheap???????

Can someone who`s had delivery please confirm that you are able to play other musical styles on them. Thanks.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    It is, I suspect, the deal of a lifetime. For me, I've wanted an R8 for quite some time and have come close to dropping around the same price for a used one. The opportunity to get a well specced, brand new one, with interest free finance, was just too good to miss. It's certainly not a buy to sell purchase. This should be a lifer. 

So many comments to wiz so if I missed you I'm sorry. @Legionreturns has hit the nail square on the head here so if you said similar have an imaginary wisdom! It's not a regular R8 and with Gibson in the state it's in who's to say they'll ever do a true historic style line again. It's bit of a one off, that and the price they're selling it clearly means sales. 

Look forward to more frenzy through the day!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    I have gassed but not on an R8.

I didn't like the colours, and I figured I'd always want the flametop so I went for the 59 that GG had at £3499.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    newi123 said:
    So I succumbed and bought one blind from GG. I`ve since checked out the vids on the Peach YT channel, and am slightly worried that R8s only seem to be capable of playing middle of the road blues - is that why they were cheap???????

Can someone who`s had delivery please confirm that you are able to play other musical styles on them. Thanks.
    I’m playing ‘One Step Beyond’ on mine.

It’s madness, I’m telling you!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    I have gassed but not on an R8.

I didn't like the colours, and I figured I'd always want the flametop so I went for the 59 that GG had at £3499.
    Nice!