Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 477
    Whitecat said:
    Yeah, would have to be memphis custom then I will fold faster that something that folds fast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Whitecat said:
    (The R9s are not nearly as great a deal IMO - it’s just the top and potentially lighter mahogany - but still way cheaper than when fresh!)
    If they've got an R9 lighter than Two Face I'll be impressed!

The £1000 premium for flames is the same in the sales it's true, but it seems worse somehow now that the neck profiles are the same. Previously if you couldn't handle the larger '58 neck you had no option which you took or left. Now you have a choice to save a grand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader

Ha..  This thread is nuts...  Talk about a crowd mentality..  Absolutely nuts..  I had 270 unread posts when I logged in and like 15 more while I was catching up...

Hmmm...

So if  I told you all that I was having a sale of my guitars with £1000 off each one would it start a RabsWood buying frenzy?  :P

Actually.. Don't answer that  :)

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    Peach had ‘64 Reissue ES-345’s on offer last year and I picked one of those up at £2399. 

i wouldn’t be surprised (but I have no info) if Gibson were to do the same thing with a lot of their old stock in the coming months. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Twinfan said:
    Whitecat said:
    (The R9s are not nearly as great a deal IMO - it’s just the top and potentially lighter mahogany - but still way cheaper than when fresh!)
    If they've got an R9 lighter than Two Face I'll be impressed!

The £1000 premium for flames is the same in the sales it's true, but it seems worse somehow now that the neck profiles are the same. Previously if you couldn't handle the larger '58 neck you had no option which you took or left. Now you have a choice to save a grand.
    Yeah, just as some R8s get surprisingly figured tops some must also get ultra-lightweight backs. Once they are cut and sanded I guess you can get lucky!

The neck carve on this one is what pushed me over the edge. I like bigger necks but the R8 in the past has been too fat whereas the R9 is generally right on. To get a lovely figured top as I did plus that carve = no brainer for me!

wesker123 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Yeah, would have to be memphis custom then I will fold faster that something that folds fast.
    Aren’t they one and the same?

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/32343-custom-shop-es-335/
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 477
    Whitecat said:

wesker123 said:
    Whitecat said:
    Aren’t they one and the same?

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/32343-custom-shop-es-335/
    Oh ok thanks. Trust Gibson to be crystal clear huh  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    terada said:
    mli3 said:
    I wonder if there is a warehouse full of R9s earmarked for the same treatment - probably at a slightly higher price point than these R8s......

According to G G there’s a lot more on the way. First they are doing Gibson custom, then USA, then Memphis/Nashville etc. 

A huge clearout by gibson. Either a once in a generation chance to get huge savings, or a complete re-pricing of Gibson as a brand....

If they start blowing out J45's after I just bought one I'll be more than a little frustrated

@terada they are doing J45s at 1699 now, for sunburst ones. 

CS SGs have gone down to 2999 I think, so only 1500 overpriced now :)
    Hoping that is as low as they go! Bought at around that price.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3773
    The only thing stopping me buying one is I’d be too scared to gig it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    John_A said:
    The only thing stopping me buying one is I’d be too scared to gig it
    That's why you should get two!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You set of bastards have a lot of explaining to do to my wife!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    You set of bastards have a lot of explaining to do to my wife!
    It’s a service we gladly provide :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    sweepy said:
    We could do it like a singing telegram, barbershop style
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    sweepy said:
    I was going to say "I'd pay to see that" but apparently I'm broke now! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2018
    roberty said:
    sweepy said:
    It’s a service we gladly provide
    I was going to say "I'd pay to see that" but apparently I'm broke now! 
    £2.5k is the usual fee, or £3.5k if we wear these:

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Is the same CS price dumping happening in the US?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    edited August 2018
    andyoz said:
    Don't think so - Peach said it was the European warehouse of 300 LP's they were emptying to raise some cash...
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Don't think so - Peach said it was the European warehouse of 300 LP's they were emptying to raise some cash...
    Wow that’s a lot of LPs
    mli3 said:
    Wow that’s a lot of LPs
    Let's hope there's not 150 2015 LPs in greenburst in there..
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    andyoz said:
    That’s just shy of £750,000 in total at the current price!
    mort said:
    andyoz said:
    That’s just shy of £750,000 in total at the current price!
    Makes you wonder how many guitars Gibson Europe have stockpiled. 

I wonder if they have a nice SG style bass they could offload for a few pennies? Hmmm...
    Remember it was GG that forced Peach to drop to £2499. Peach originally listed them at £2799 - and only matched GG a few days later. For which I shall be eternally grateful of course... but as John said, the VAT man made the most money off these next to Gibson...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2018
    £750,000 isn't mega money in the business world really.

I guess they realised they would be sold so fast it would limit damage to the their perceived pricing structure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?
  • Gawd, why am I asking...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    andyoz said:
    £750,000 isn't mega money in the business world really
    In Gibson’s current quagmire it’s chump change. But at least Dave Grohl might finally have his $124 account settled. 
    edited August 2018
    So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?
    It's a £4k guitar that cost £2.5k and should have cost £2.5k in the first place so it's worth it, which has caused a gold rush as they are usually not worth it, especially at £4k

Oh, and we got a tiny view of what the US was like in 1849
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    andyoz said:
    I wonder if they chose Europe because the prices are already more inflated here compared to the US (I think they are?)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10333
    So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?

Not as well finished as an Epiphone and it has lots of haunting mids :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    andyoz said:
    andyoz said:
    I wonder if they chose Europe because the prices are already more inflated here compared to the US (I think they are?)
    I suspect it's part of their "stockpiling" policy - they do it worldwide for different markets. Dunno why. Frankly I think they are mad. Actually - we know they are mad! :)