Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    johnl said:
    Found a little more info on these from the original announcement:

NAMM 2017 New and exciting things are going down at the Gibson Custom Shop. Specs are being rearranged, necks and tops are changing shapes, and everything is lined up to come out fantastic. You can pre-order these guitars starting right now from The Music Zoo. Here is the low-down about what is coming out of the Historic division of the Gibson Custom Shop for 2017! Stay tuned for pictures as the guitars arrive in the store.

Features of what we knew as 2016 Standard and True Historics are being condensed into one single series where all new 2017 Historic Reissue Les Pauls will feature:
    – The Carmelita top carve profile
    -All ’54, ’56, ’57, and ’58 Historic Reissues have ’59 neck profiles
    – All hide-glue construction and nitrocellulose lacquer finishes with aniline dye
    – True Historic parts including pickguard, pickup rings, switch washer, tip, knobs, pickup covers, and jack plate.
    – Historic accurate serial numbers (no “R” at the beginning of the serial)
    – Rolled Fretboard Binding
    – Solid Indian rosewood fretboard
    – Solid one-piece mahogany neck with Historic long neck tenon
    – Holly Headstock Veneer
    – Custombucker Pickups
    -Finishes include Antique Gold, Dirty Lemon (replacing Lemon Burst), Faded Tobacco, Iced Tea, and Washed Cherry
    -The street price for 1954 through 1958 Historic Reissue Les Pauls in both Gloss and VOS finishes are $4,699.
    -The street price for 1959 through 1960 Historic Reissue Les Pauls in both Gloss and VOS finishes are $6,499.
    Good find @johnl ;

wonder why the 59 & 60s were nearly $2000 more? Also, is there a backlog of this model waiting in the wings?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    My wife gave me the go ahead but GG only have the cherry ones left, which I don't really like.  I know it's shallow but I do prefer certain colours.

I'm also reluctant to spend that much on a guitar without trying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    Finding GG hard to deal with & I’m trying to spend 2.5k! It’s really like guitars aren’t something they’re used to selling & know nothing about what matters to every single buyer in this - weight + photos. Should be a production line to get that detail. They only had 15-20 across 5 stores! Ah well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    This thread is crazy.
    I have an R8
    I love my R8
    I'd never considered buying another R8
    But...........

Stop it. Stop it now!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9 said:
    Finding GG hard to deal with & I’m trying to spend 2.5k! It’s really like guitars aren’t something they’re used to selling & know nothing about what matters to every single buyer in this - weight + photos. Should be a production line to get that detail. They only had 15-20 across 5 stores! Ah well. 
    When you put it like that, and given their likely staff numbers, that's terrible. 

Only have good things to say about my experience this morning.

crunchman said:
    My wife gave me the go ahead but GG only have the cherry ones left, which I don't really like.  I know it's shallow but I do prefer certain colours.

I'm also reluctant to spend that much on a guitar without trying it.
    Coda and Peach later this week for other finishes, maybe?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pretty pissed if i'm honest. Had an Ice tea in the basket and was filling out the finance forms and it disappeared. Then 'out of stock' FFS
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pretty pissed if i'm honest. Had an Ice tea in the basket and was filling out the finance forms and it disappeared. Then 'out of stock' FFS
    There's loads more surfacing every hour. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Similar thing happened to me, worth contacting them. Did you get accepted and did it all go through?

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    mort said:
    johnl said:
    Found a little more info on these from the original announcement:

NAMM 2017 New and exciting things are going down at the Gibson Custom Shop. Specs are being rearranged, necks and tops are changing shapes, and everything is lined up to come out fantastic. You can pre-order these guitars starting right now from The Music Zoo. Here is the low-down about what is coming out of the Historic division of the Gibson Custom Shop for 2017! Stay tuned for pictures as the guitars arrive in the store.

Features of what we knew as 2016 Standard and True Historics are being condensed into one single series where all new 2017 Historic Reissue Les Pauls will feature:
    – The Carmelita top carve profile
    -All ’54, ’56, ’57, and ’58 Historic Reissues have ’59 neck profiles
    – All hide-glue construction and nitrocellulose lacquer finishes with aniline dye
    – True Historic parts including pickguard, pickup rings, switch washer, tip, knobs, pickup covers, and jack plate.
    – Historic accurate serial numbers (no “R” at the beginning of the serial)
    – Rolled Fretboard Binding
    – Solid Indian rosewood fretboard
    – Solid one-piece mahogany neck with Historic long neck tenon
    – Holly Headstock Veneer
    – Custombucker Pickups
    -Finishes include Antique Gold, Dirty Lemon (replacing Lemon Burst), Faded Tobacco, Iced Tea, and Washed Cherry
    -The street price for 1954 through 1958 Historic Reissue Les Pauls in both Gloss and VOS finishes are $4,699.
    -The street price for 1959 through 1960 Historic Reissue Les Pauls in both Gloss and VOS finishes are $6,499.
    Good find @johnl ;

wonder why the 59 & 60s were nearly $2000 more? Also, is there a backlog of this model waiting in the wings?
    Figured tops (although some 58 tops are surprisingly figured too) and allegedly they sort the mahogany bodies so the very lightest ones go to R9 & 0s - but that’s it this time around. 
    Similar thing happened to me, worth contacting them. Did you get accepted and did it all go through?
    No i was nearly finished so not submitted fully when item status changed in the basket

Only washed cherry available now ;(

Coda finance is nowhere near as good either

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7962
    edited August 2018
    Pretty pissed if i'm honest. Had an Ice tea in the basket and was filling out the finance forms and it disappeared. Then 'out of stock' FFS

I'm sure there will be more. Dozens of each have appeared and then sold today. Speak to your nearest branch. 

Yes, the finance offer is incredibly good, although I chose to do 24 rather than 36 so it clears it quicker  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2018
    Unlike Peach who've only enhanced their rep on this thread, Guitar Guitar are seemingly coming across as a bunch of amateurs here. Never bought from them so have no actual experience, however surely putting the guitar in your basket should reserve it until such time as it's paid for, regardless of method of payment?

Edited: this is normal website behaviour regarding purchases so my mistake I'm happy to admit. Still think the lack of details, actual photos and help on some occasions has been a bit poor.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Wait to see what happens later in the week. Give them a shout tomorrow to see if they're expecting more.

They're saying available for order on Iced Tea at GG.

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    Just pulled the GG trigger on a second R8....  :#
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Boromedic said:
    Unlike Peach who've only enhanced their rep on this thread, Guitar Guitar are seemingly coming across as a bunch of amateurs here. Never bought from them so have no actual experience, however surely putting the guitar in your basket should reserve it until such time as it's paid for, regardless of method of payment?
    They've been great with me today. Excellent communication, choice and service. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    hyperben said:
    Now that’s just being greedy...... ;)

Have you got the first one yet?

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Boromedic said:
    Someone in the shop could buy it before you or finance/payment could be refused and someone else could be buying it at the same time online setup its first come first served. Nothing is final until it's final. It's all down to website design I guess.

Peach is the same - I had a guitar in the initial batch disappear from my basket while I was filling in my address details.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    hyperben said:
    Nice one! As if your current one wasn't nice enough eh?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Pretty pissed if i'm honest. Had an Ice tea in the basket and was filling out the finance forms and it disappeared. Then 'out of stock' FFS
    No i was nearly finished so not submitted fully when item status changed in the basket

I started down that route but it was all taking so long I could see the so, so very Dirty Lemons disappearing in real time. So knocked it on the head and spanked my MasterCard :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Boromedic said:
    Stock goes once it's paid, not once it's in the basket. Same for most websites.

Boromedic said:
    They've been great with me today. Excellent communication, choice and service. 
    Yeah it's the variance in experience more than anything, some people got pics and weight, others didn't. I suppose being a bigger chain doesn't help as its more people to manage expectations. It's a shame they haven't been 100 percent helpful to all though.

Twinfan said:
    Boromedic said:
    Someone in the shop could buy it before you or finance/payment could be refused and someone else could be buying it at the same time online setup its first come first served. Nothing is final until it's final. It's all down to website design I guess.

Peach is the same - I had a guitar in the initial batch disappear from my basket while I was filling in my address details.
    I suppose, and interesting that you had the same issue at Peach too. Don't suppose there's any way around it, unless they implement a similar system to ticket retailers where you are notified the item is yours for next 10 minutes. That would be difficult to do for such high value items though, you wouldn't want to miss out on a sale, like you say if the finance failed. Still the lack of pictures and weight is off putting and they've not been helpful to all. Like I said above probably as it's a bigger retailer. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Boromedic said:
    Twinfan said:
    Boromedic said:

I suppose, and interesting that you had the same issue at Peach too. Don't suppose there's any way around it, unless they implement a similar system to ticket retailers where you are notified the item is yours for next 10 minutes. That would be difficult to do for such high value items though, you wouldn't want to miss out on a sale, like you say if the finance failed. Still the lack of pictures and weight is off putting and they've not been helpful to all. Like I said above probably as it's a bigger retailer. 
    This isn't really a normal situation for a guitar retailer... more like a mad rush to get tickets the minute they go on general release
    edited August 2018
    Boromedic said:
    Stock goes once it's paid, not once it's in the basket. Same for most websites.
    Yeah most online T's and C's say the same, an oversight on my part,  just feel bad for the guys it's happened too!

roberty said:
    Boromedic said:
    Twinfan said:
    Boromedic said:

This isn't really a normal situation for a guitar retailer... more like a mad rush to get tickets the minute they go on general release
    Yeah, hence the Ticketmaster reference! Anyway purchase issues aside, their silly, childish FB video video last week, and refusal to help all today has put me off regardless. Especially online purchasing from them, store wise they're probably as good as anyone else.

• roberty said:
    Boromedic said:
    Twinfan said:
    Boromedic said:

100% this.

That said, I'm gutted it didn't work out for you and it's put you off @Boromedic.

It's situational really isn't it like Roberty said, its an unusual set of circumstances for the retailer. Due to the nature of the sale.

Thing is Peach took the time to photograph and weigh each one before listing, GG didn't. Subsequently they helped some folk out but not others which is a bit of an oversight and in comparison looks bad. That being said with any normal purchase I'm sure GGs customer service is A1. So I understand that the situation doesn't help at all, just probably could've been handled better. The purchase outcome was my bad for making assumptions and I will correct my post.

• I actually have a really good relationship with GG Newcastle, and they tried to be helpful on the phone but were noticeably stressed out by it all. While I was talking to him, one of the guitars we were discussing was bought in front of him by a punter stood with his colleague. In the end, as I couldn't get to the shop, he gave me the number for the online team and I did it all with one of them once my finance was approved.