Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1111
    Peach just called to confirm in person they are happy to hold my guitar until I get back from travelling - which I thought was a very nice touch.

I bought when I heard they close to True Historic spec. My 2016 TH R7 is the best Les Paul I have played, and cost more than twice this price, so it was an unmissable offer for me.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    ellwood said:
    Peach just called to confirm in person they are happy to hold my guitar until I get back from travelling - which I thought was a very nice touch.

I bought when I heard they close to True Historic spec. My 2016 TH R7 is the best Les Paul I have played, and cost more than twice this price, so it was an unmissable offer for me.
    For me it was the TH specs, the weight, the R9 neck and that fine cherry plaintop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • For me, it was the chance to own a dream guitar that is usually a crazy price. So yes, part of it was about missing out on a good offer, but mostly because I always wanted a Gibson Custom reissue.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Price piqued my interested.

Spec confirmed they were/are a bargain.

I have and have had lots of 'burst guitars, so Lemon Drop was the colour I quite fancied, but I chose Two Face the 8lb superlight primarily as I've never seen a CS LP that light.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    Question - what does a True Historic have Spec wise over these? 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Lol Took my daughter swimming and came back to 100 thread updates!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    edited August 2018
    Adamski said:
    I believe it's just the way the lacquer has been finished. TH's are wet sanded by hand.

Otherwise that's it.

All wood, parts and plastics are identical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I wish you lot would stop talking about this. Every time I see an update I have to give myself another little talking to about how I can't justify a £2.5k guitar, whilst also constantly hitting refresh on Coda's site in case they get stock in ...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2018
    Adamski said:
    The name is the only difference, as far as I can see?

True Historics don't exist any more, 2018s are just called Custom Historics in R8/R9/R0 format.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Ossyrocks said:
    Adamski said:
    I believe it's just the way the lacquer has been finished. TH's are wet sanded by hand.

Otherwise that's it.

All wood, parts and plastics are identical.
    And the “double carve” on the top and neck, whatever that means...
    A bit of digging around on the 'net seems to confirm what Ossy and Whitecat are saying.

- they have the True Historic plastics and hardware;
    - they use hide glue on the top, neck and fretboard fit;
    - the top carve has improved (much more noticeable dish) and is based on a particular 'burst (Carmelita).  True Historics from 2015 and 2016 had flatter tops with less dishing;
    - the cutaway depth has improved (deeper now apparently);
    - not a hand sanded finish but they do have a thin nitro finish and the rolled fretboard binding;
    - they are also using a new aniline dye back color that has more brown like the originals (less red than the True Historics).

So the top carve could be seen to be arguably "better" on a 2017 vs a True Historic if you like the big dish.  The only other difference is the finish technique, although both are thin nitro.

So basically they're True Historics at £2499.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3825
    Isn't this just proof, if proof be need be, that true historic type Les Pauls are only worth £2.5k? :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Isn't this just proof, if proof be need be, that true historic type Les Pauls are only worth £2.5k? :)
    Yes, but the True True Really Really Truer than True Historics are worth more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Bridgehouse this thread has to have set a couple of TFB records in the last few days, surely? Be cool to see stats on some of these things one day. Sorry, Im a bit geeky like that.

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I bought one because the spec seemed very good for the price. I wouldn't give Gibson £4.5k for a slightly nicer Les Paul but I would give them £2.5k. Also because all the cool kids were doing it......
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    @Bridgehouse this thread has to have set a couple of TFB records in the last few days, surely? Be cool to see stats on some of these things one day. Sorry, Im a bit geeky like that.
    Very possibly - @digitalscream is the man for that...!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    @Bridgehouse this thread has to have set a couple of TFB records in the last few days, surely? Be cool to see stats on some of these things one day. Sorry, Im a bit geeky like that.
    +1
  • @Bridgehouse this thread has to have set a couple of TFB records in the last few days, surely? Be cool to see stats on some of these things one day. Sorry, Im a bit geeky like that.
    Very possibly - @digitalscream is the man for that...!
    Cool, thank you!

no - that they're worth at least £2.5k.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3825
    pmbomb said:
    You have your gas hat on - you mean at most, surely?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    GG have all 3 colours for sale again...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2018
    pmbomb said:
    Isn't this just proof, if proof be need be, that true historic type Les Pauls are only worth £2.5k?
    You have your gas hat on - you mean at most, surely?
    no, if a product is selling out briskly at price A the market would probably bear a price of A + X.

as for what X is the only way to know would be to test it, a reverse auction would do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oops... 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    mli3 said:
    GG have all 3 colours for sale again...

They've used their picture of mine for the Teaburst listing, how flattering ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I must be losing my mind as I’m considering buying another one, but in Iced Tea, and taking advantage of GG’s 0% interest deal.........
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This will roll on for a while. Still have a Coda and Peach restock this week!

lol @Legionreturns - is that for your kids' birthday party business?

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Oops... 

99% sure that photo is of mine, might want to see if they can show you yours

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    Twinfan said:
    A bit of digging around on the 'net seems to confirm what Ossy and Whitecat are saying.

- they have the True Historic plastics and hardware;
    - they use hide glue on the top, neck and fretboard fit;
    - the top carve has improved (much more noticeable dish) and is based on a particular 'burst (Carmelita).  True Historics from 2015 and 2016 had flatter tops with less dishing;
    - the cutaway depth has improved (deeper now apparently);
    - not a hand sanded finish but they do have a thin nitro finish and the rolled fretboard binding;
    - they are also using a new aniline dye back color that has more brown like the originals (less red than the True Historics).

So the top carve could be seen to be arguably "better" on a 2017 vs a True Historic if you like the big dish.  The only other difference is the finish technique, although both are thin nitro.

So basically they're True Historics at £2499.
    Well, that warms my cockles.

I have played Carmelita ! For about an hour, through an original pinstripe 18w Marshall. It's a particularly attractive Les Paul.

Rob.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    dbphoto said:
    I must be losing my mind as I’m considering buying another one, but in Iced Tea, and taking advantage of GG’s 0% interest deal.........
    Collect the set!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer