Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited August 2018
    andyoz said:
    andyoz said:
    Is the same CS price dumping happening in the US?
    Don't think so - Peach said it was the European warehouse of 300 LP's they were emptying to raise some cash...
    I wonder if they chose Europe because the prices are already more inflated here compared to the US (I think they are?)
    VAT is the killer mainly. US prices have no taxes in them - they are only added at retail point of purchase depending on the state, and they are usually less than half of VAT. But there is often an inflated base price too “just because.”

I think perhaps these guitars were in Europe already... and they suddenly realised they needed to move them...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?

Not as well finished as an Epiphone and it has lots of haunting mids :-p
    :) :) 

For some reason I'm looking at guitars... I must STOP!!

Actually I was thinking of a Suhr Modern but I love the standards. The 22 frets feels nicer (like I'm not stretching so much) and I realise I can do the Sweet Child O Mine cream tone on bridge bucker with tone rolled down... Sorry for thread hi-jack there!
    Goes to show - this thread even made me look twice and I must be one of the people on here who buy the least amount of stuff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Whitecat said:
    andyoz said:
    andyoz said:
    Is the same CS price dumping happening in the US?
    Don't think so - Peach said it was the European warehouse of 300 LP's they were emptying to raise some cash...
    I wonder if they chose Europe because the prices are already more inflated here compared to the US (I think they are?)
    VAT is the killer mainly. US prices have no taxes in them - they are only added at retail point of purchase depending on the state. But there is often an inflated base price too “just because.”

I think perhaps these guitars were in Europe already... and they suddenly realised they needed to move them...
    They were definitely in Europe already - a sort of EU Les Paul Mountain.. 

Gibson Europe said to Gibson USA "we have a bunch of guitars here - shall we shift them quick style on the cheap to raise cash?" 

Gibson US probably said "what guitars?!" 

Gibson Europe then probably said "Sigh. We'll just get rid of them..."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?
    Wonderful timbre.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    JerkMoans said:
    So what's the verdict for those who've bought one?
    Wonderful timbre.
    Finally! See? We can change the world one R8 at a time :)
  • Love it :)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Aw balls, I was doing so well.... Up early to head off for a work trip and GG had 6 washed cherries in stock.

Make that 5 in stock.... :#
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited August 2018
    Are we all sharing a NGD thread today?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I'll be watching with interest! Would be cool to see some demo's too maybe?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• @TTony any stats on the number of TFB members who bought guitars in this deal from the various retailers? Not sure how well your thread worked out?

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    I caved..
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    Would someone with the photoshop skills please knock up an artists impression of what the next Fretboard jam might look like please ? 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Congrats to everyone who has a new R8 in-bound today.

If anyone here grabbed 8 71465 (iced tea) from Peach then I'd love to hear from you (PM if you wish). That particular guitar ticked all my LP boxes (weight, colour, top, back grain) but, unfortunately, I'm waiting on a guitar to sell and so couldn't partake on this occasion.

I'd be very interested to hear how it feels in hand, and to receive a tone report.

Enjoy those R8's . . . could be quiet around these parts today :)
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @Bridgehouse said:It's a £4k guitar that cost £2.5k and should have cost £2.5k in the first place so it's worth it, which has caused a gold rush as they are usually not worth it, especially at £4k

Yeah there it is. I'm very tempted at £2.5k, if they come back at Peach with photos (I'm not up for GG pot luck).

But if I was up for spending > £4k on a non-vintage guitar, it would be going to Feline or similar, not Gibson. At that price those guys can build something special.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    edited August 2018
    DrBob said:
    Would someone with the photoshop skills please knock up an artists impression of what the next Fretboard jam might look like please ? 
    You’ll all have to get busy with the dymo labelling machine, just so you don’t go home with the wrong R8. Just don’t stick it over serial number  :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10333
    I'm really surprised at the response from some people on here.
    Buying online is pot luck whatever. Yes weight and pictures are very nice but surely the thing to do is go and play one of them first? It's 2.5k, that's worth a 2+ hour drive surely?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    I live in Lancashire so it’s not really feasible to try before I buy at the speed these are selling.  The guitar can always be returned if not suitable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Buying online is pot luck whatever. Yes weight and pictures are very nice but surely the thing to do is go and play one of them first? It's 2.5k, that's worth a 2+ hour drive surely?
    I find I need more time than a store tryout to know if a guitar is for me.

And buying online comes with right of return.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    It’s more that they aren’t staying in stock long enough to do that. I’d rather take an educated punt on the top/weight that I like rather than drive there and either have nothing to try or maybe one that I was less interested in that I would probably just buy anyway due to the deal. 
  • I'm really surprised at the response from some people on here.
    Yeah, good luck with that. By the time you reach the first services for a piss, the guitar will be long gone.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Me to Peach is a 4.5 hour drive each way, plus traffic delays.  I'll take a chance on mail order based on weight thanks  :)

With distance selling regs I can return it in the unlikely event I don't like it, so I'm only courier costs out of pocket.  Petrol would cost me a bomb in my motor to do that trip!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
     True. I think the thing that has surprised me is the number of purchases and speed in this fairly small community - it's made me realise I'm relatively even more stingey than I already knew I was!

It's not that I couldn't afford one, just that it would be over £1k more than Ive ever spent on an any single instrument in over 30 years of playing, so there's no way I'd do that on impulse.

That's not a criticism of anybody who has - more of an observation of how mentally 'restricted' I must be comparatively.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    I've watched this thread with some interest as an innocent bystander.

I can see why people are going for these as they actually seem to represent great value in the current vastly overpriced market.

What does amaze me however is the feeding frenzy.. I would never have believed that guitars that cost £2.5k would move that quickly. Let's face it, it ain't pocket money..

Anyways - great news for those that purchased and hope you get a lot of joy out if the guitars.

Si
    Finance was/is available which has helped some folk obtain one, and everyone's financial circumstances are different i.e. some people have more disposable cash than others.

Porsche doesn't build enough 911 GT3s at £130k for the UK (we got around 600 last time) and people fight over them to get an allocation.  £2500 is therefore nothing to that kind of person!
    I get that and of course am more than aware of differing financial circumstances.

I appreciate it's all relative but suggest that the average income of a potential GT3 purchaser is probably significantly higher that the peops who purchased these R8's. I could be wrong of course.
  • mortmort Frets: 709

It was quite a big leap for me - the most I've ever spent on a guitar is £1150

I wanted a Dirty Lemon and I'm a 6 hour drive from Peach!

I'm sure it'll be have been worth it!

Si
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    I'm stunned by this.

For all the "Gibson quality is crap" threads on here and now this...

A 'feeding frenzy' is a good description and I understand the bargain chaser mentality - I genuinely wonder how many would have bought these guitars if the launch price had been £2.5k in the first place and how many have taken a punt thinking they can flog theirs on for more than £2.5k in six months time when the frenzy has died down (if they don't particularly like the instrument).

I get that there was finance available - but its not chicken feed and debt isn't a nice thing. I don't do debt any more - been there, nearly been drowned by it... its not clever.

Good luck to all those who splurged - and well done to the retaillers, who have genuinely had a windfall during a historically quiet time of the year.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Peach do a full setup before it goes out the door too so unless you have strange requirements it’s gonna show up close to as well as it can play. Easy to make a judgment fairly quickly - the only downside is you can’t compare, but as has been said, that’s the strangeness of this whole event with these selling faster than people can enter payment details...
    I get that and of course am more than aware of differing financial circumstances.

I appreciate it's all relative but suggest that the average income of a potential GT3 purchaser is probably significantly higher that the peops who purchased these R8's. I could be wrong of course.
    So do GT3 owners not play guitar and frequent forums?

impmann said:
    A 'feeding frenzy' is a good description and I understand the bargain chaser mentality - I genuinely wonder how many would have bought these guitars if the launch price had been £2.5k in the first place and how many have taken a punt thinking they can flog theirs on for more than £2.5k in six months time when the frenzy has died down (if they don't particularly like the instrument).

I get that there was finance available - but its not chicken feed and debt isn't a nice thing. I don't do debt any more - been there, nearly been drowned by it... its not clever.
    I would probably already own one if they'd be £2499 at launch.  I've had my eye open for a good Les Paul for a while but wasn't prepared to pay over £4.5k for one.

As per my other comments, £2.5k might not be chicken feed for you but for other people it's not something that puts them into debt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter