Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    120 lead
    get to 160
    then declare and give the bowlers 30 minutes before lunch
    we aren’t going to win with the bowlers in the pavilion 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited July 2023
    I think they’ll go for 250 lead if they can and hope not to have to bat the 2nd innings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    munckee said:
    I think they’ll go for 250 lead if they can and hope not to have to bat the 2nd innings. 
    my thinking as well. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Latest weather forecast on TMS suggests no play tomorrow and not much on Sunday.

Uncovered pitch, Deadly Underwood, job done! 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    munckee said:
    my thinking as well. 
    They need 10 wickets regardless 
    wether we have to bat again or not is a  tad irrelevant - granted we can apply pressure with attacking field positions with runs on the board 
    but 10 wickets is the only way to victory 
    tFB Trader
    Aussies limiting scoring options 
    thought it would be more T20 mode

tFB Trader
    Jimmy not in whites so obviously no bowling option in the next 15 mins or so
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a negative Aussie side
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    165 run lead already.  Declare at lunch to avoid taking 10 minutes out of the game.
    tFB Trader
    Jimmy not in whites so obviously no bowling option in the next 15 mins or so
    Jimmy still in white 
    20 mins to lunch 
    so obviously no declaration before lunch
    imo this is now valuable bowling time 
    new ball moving a touch 
    tFB Trader
    Encouraging that a few deliveries are doing something with the new ball - touch of swing as well 
    yesterday it all looked flat - apart from about 2 deliveries that kept low
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Aussies only 24 overs in the session.  There should be penalty runs when it's that slow.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited July 2023
    crunchman said:
    Aussies only 24 overs in the session.  There should be penalty runs when it's that slow.
    Despite the gentlemanly hand shakes with Crawley yesterday, remember these are the Aussies, they will be actively trying to back England up against the weather for the draw so the Urn can be packed into their suitcase.

When back in bat, if things start to go south for them, see how many new bats and gloves they suddenly need.

tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    As an overview then I agree - It has probably been less of an issue within 'Bazball' as most games have finished with a +ve result, so the lack of 90 overs in a day has become less of an issue

The issue will be factors like checking an appeal via 3rd official, physio on for ball hitting helmet etc - Even no balls - All that never happened on this morning session - But the 3rd official would need to way up such factors - Even 3/4/5 wickets in a session as that would account for lack of deliveries - Even the batting team trying to slow it down if it suits them  - So a 3rd official would have to be given a guide line to work with regarding various factors that you can't blame the bowling team for

However, then you need to decide what the punishment would be - I don't think it can be 'lack of overs' then to be bowled after 6.30 as often conditions/weather/light might not allow for it - It has to be runs added to the score board for lack of deliveries - To be accounted for after each of the 3 sessions - 1 run for lack of each over not bowled is not enough - 6 runs for each over not bowled is probably a good starting point
    tFB Trader
    The more we bat the less time we have to bowl - Tomorrow is a no no and Sunday not good - Jimmy and co in the pavilion is not proactive 
    The more we bat the less time we have to bowl - Tomorrow is a no no and Sunday not good - Jimmy and co in the pavilion is not proactive 
    Won't be a problem when we bowl them out before the end of today for less than 200 :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    This feels like I'm watching 20 20!

tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Won't be a problem when WE bowl them out before the end of today for less than 200 :) 
    If is a bigger word than we
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I think Stokes thinks there won’t be time for a 4th innings so wants to have a winning total in first innings 
    Let Bairstow get his century, then they'll declare I think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Two more and that's got to be it.

Also worth noting, the Aussies look absolutely knackered.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    One thing is clear. Working from home was invented with the ashes is mind. 
    tFB Trader
    Carey can’t run him out when it matters 
    Bairstow's facial expressions are brilliant at the moment.
    edited July 2023
    Oh no......that is so unfair!  Anderson owes his a beer now!
    munckee said:
    One thing is clear. Working from home was invented with the ashes is mind. 
    And the golf!
    S56035 said:
    Oh no......that is so unfair!  Anderson owes his a beer now!
    Ha! gutted for him but what a knock. 

Isn't Test match cricket boring. 
    tFB Trader
    Now is the time for Jimmy to get is first test 5 for at OT
    Now is the time for Jimmy to get is first test 5 for at OT
    What a way to go out if he somehow does