Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot
1168169170171172174»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Have to say I'm a tad confused by this "net run rate" malarkey - the live-text on the BBC seemed to be complaining that Aus were looking after their NRR rather than trying to chase the score?

I've read up on the calculation, but that hasn't made it any clearer...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Have to say I'm a tad confused by this "net run rate" malarkey - the live-text on the BBC seemed to be complaining that Aus were looking after their NRR rather than trying to chase the score?

I've read up on the calculation, but that hasn't made it any clearer...

It is only required in the case of 2 teams having the same amount of points- Therefore a calculation regarding NRR comes into play 

I don’t know the finer detail but in essence it equates as goal difference and goals scored as in football 

I found out today that say you scored only 100 runs and are bowled out in 20 overs you would not have a run rate of 5 - they still divide it by the 50 allocated overs so your run rate would actually now be 2 - As such today it was better for the Aussies to drag out a looming defeat and try and get some runs on the board - Equally SA would have wanted to bowl them out asap to improve their stats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter