Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    I refuse to have anything to do with the Hundred.

I don't watch it.  I don't click on any links about it on Cricinfo or the BBC website.  The more clicks on links to stories about it, the more popular they think it is.

The sooner it is killed off the better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited August 2023
    crunchman said:
    I think Broad is bowling better than he ever has.  To get that swing in that last spell with an old ball was seriously impressive.  He was getting it through at 86mph as well.
    was and had…sadly

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    crunchman said:

I don't watch it.  I don't click on any links about it on Cricinfo or the BBC website.  The more clicks on links to stories about it, the more popular they think it is.

Couldn't agree more. Much prefer the pure game - test cricket. 

This has been one of the best Ashes series ever IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

I would agree - I'm a Yorkshire lad and we have no team as such so who do I support - Root plays with a Robin Hood team - Bairstow's gone Welsh

However - It has got my daughter into cricket - Initially via the women's game but quickly on to the men's game - She now follows test match cricket with me and would have gone to Headingley with me this summer if she had not have been working in the USA  - So from that point of view it has done what it intended to do 

But as an overview it ain't for me - It appears to be a 1/2 hearted attempt at the IPL and the Big Bash - We certainly don't need a T20 and Hundred tournament and it certainly should be the big summer event over the Ashes 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The problem now is that there is no sport to watch.  There is no proper cricket (not even a stream of a County Championship match).  The NFL doesn't start again until September, and I don't really want to watch footballers falling over as soon as someone breathes on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Amazing set of test matches, so much excitement! It's just a shame that we were denied the series win by the weather. I really didn't think we would win that last one, incredible stuff.

Loving this current England set-up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    And once again we as a group of white middle aged men think we know what’s rights.

the Hundred is Sold Out.  Which County match in August would have been anywhere near that?  It is sold out with a very mixed demographic of ages and gender.  It brings the women to an equal pedestal as the men at the same time.  The stupidly higher paid men should do their bit to raise the women’s lower paid game by turning up and playing alongside them 
    What on Earth is anyone’s beef that it is not 20 overs or that there are 5 balls an over rather than 6, or that they don’t use the word Over - I mean what on earth does an Over mean in the first place and I’ve been playing cricket for 40 years, what does it mean to a youngster?

I think the Hundred is fab .  I don’t understand why there can’t be Tests running consecutively.  I think doing so would suit both
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    The problem now is that there is no sport to watch.  There is no proper cricket (not even a stream of a County Championship match).  The NFL doesn't start again until September, and I don't really want to watch footballers falling over as soon as someone breathes on them.
    So wrong that the test match series has finished before we even get to Aug - The 2019 match with Ben Stokes at Headingley was late Aug - Ever since I can remember, back in the 70's, I always thought the end of the last test match was like the end of summer - Certainly the end of school holidays - And now no decent cricket for the rest of summer
    edited August 2023
    I'm going to try again with The Hundred tonight, see how long I last. It's a bit like going out on a date with a girl you don't really want to be with...

"It's not you it's me"  =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • meh
    sev112 said:
    What on Earth is anyone’s beef that it is not 20 overs or that there are 5 balls an over rather than 6, or that they don’t use the word Over
    Well yes but to me 20-20 is bad enough, can't see the point in having two of the bastard offspring

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

However - It has got my daughter into cricket - Initially via the women's game but quickly on to the men's game - She now follows test match cricket with me and would have gone to Headingley with me this summer if she had not have been working in the USA  - So from that point of view it has done what it intended to do 

My daughter got into cricket through a test match.  A friend had Lords tickets against S Africa that they couldn't use last year.  I went with my daughter and she really enjoyed it.

As for sev112's comment about the Hundred being sold out, there are still tickets available for tonight's match when I look online, and that will be after have given away a lot of freebies to try to fill the ground.

T20 cricket sells tickets as well, and at 18 different counties.  The big problem is that most people don't identify with the franchises.  I'm from Devon originally.  I've got no-one to support.  The nearest Hundred ground to where I live now is the Oval, but that's Surrey, and there is no way I'm supporting them.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

My daughter got into cricket through a test match.  A friend had Lords tickets against S Africa that they couldn't use last year.  I went with my daughter and she really enjoyed it.

As for sev112's comment about the Hundred being sold out, there are still tickets available for tonight's match when I look online, and that will be after have given away a lot of freebies to try to fill the ground.

T20 cricket sells tickets as well, and at 18 different counties.  The big problem is that most people don't identify with the franchises.  I'm from Devon originally.  I've got no-one to support.  The nearest Hundred ground to where I live now is the Oval, but that's Surrey, and there is no way I'm supporting them.
    Yes, I'm getting many messages from Yorkshire ref tickets for the Northern Supercharges at Headingly - So certainly not sold out - And as you say, there are many 'promotional freebies' to encourage a better attendance - Maybe some of that is good as it is via various clubs so hopefully some new kids with dad's and/or mum, will attend 

My biggest issue is as you say, not able to identify with a franchised team - And it is certainly a big level below the IPL and BB - To be fair the IPL is now the 2nd most valuable sporting league behind the NFL

It would not be to big an issue if we ran the Hundred or the T20 - But not both in our summer, especially when it pushes test matches into such a small window - Plus no ODI this summer with the Aussies and that would be a big draw, be it TV or a venue - Plus it would allow none test match venues, like Hampshire, Durham etc from this summer, now able to stage a match  
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    sev112 said:
    And once again we as a group of white middle aged men think we know what’s rights.

the Hundred is Sold Out.  Which County match in August would have been anywhere near that?  It is sold out with a very mixed demographic of ages and gender.  It brings the women to an equal pedestal as the men at the same time.  The stupidly higher paid men should do their bit to raise the women’s lower paid game by turning up and playing alongside them 
    What on Earth is anyone’s beef that it is not 20 overs or that there are 5 balls an over rather than 6, or that they don’t use the word Over - I mean what on earth does an Over mean in the first place and I’ve been playing cricket for 40 years, what does it mean to a youngster?

I think the Hundred is fab .  I don’t understand why there can’t be Tests running consecutively.  I think doing so would suit both
    Try getting tickets for most t20 blast games or finals day.
    Id be well up for the ladies playing before blast games in the way the hundred works.
    Otherwise the hundred can get in the bin
    edited August 2023
    Tried watching the first men's Hundred match tonight, lasted 20 minutes, can't watch it, tip and run, crude, slash and burn nonsense.

Binned her off after the first drink

UPDATE:

I tuned in again for the last 20 minutes and as seems to be typical with these sort of matches they are often decided in the last couple of overs, so they are all you need to watch really. The crowd looked decidedly uninterested at times, despite some DJ dancing in his box when there was no music playing, and a woman running up and down pointing a microphone shouting at a bemused looking group of spectators.

It's like the Tui all inclusive resort entertainers at a Turkish beach holiday trying to whip up some enthusiasm for the daily water aerobics, party, party, party.

Dog shit, can't watch it. 

tFB Trader
    Stokes going to be available to help defend the ODI World Cup in India - But first a few ODI and T20 matches v New Zealand - Will be good to have some cricket worth watching again, before the summer is over
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    Kill me now, but - for what it’s worth - I’ve been enjoying the Hundred. Might not be ‘real’ cricket but it fair passes an evening. 
    tFB Trader
    camf said:
    Kill me now, but - for what it’s worth - I’ve been enjoying the Hundred. Might not be ‘real’ cricket but it fair passes an evening. 
    My daughter got into cricket via the Hundred, so it does bring new comers into the game - Until a couple of days ago she was in the USA - Now she's back she might watch the odd game so I'll do likewise - Something to bond with and talk about - But normally I would pass on it 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    Last night’s game was great. Proper drama at the end. Worth watching on the highlights if you can. I say this as someone who generally prefers the longer format.  :)
    tFB Trader
    Harry Brook - On fire at the moment - And can't get in the 50 over ODi team for the forthcoming WC 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Harry Brook - On fire at the moment - And can't get in the 50 over ODi team for the forthcoming WC 

They have to find room for him, he's extraordinary.

Selectors keep doing stupid things.  Like leaving Foakes out of the Ashes.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Selectors keep doing stupid things.  Like leaving Foakes out of the Ashes.
    Looks like he is now on a provisional list - Certainly v NZ and then Ireland in the forth coming 50 over ODi matches - With 6 seamers in the ODi WC squad then surely they can drop one, in India, for HB - Yet are all those 6 seamers 'healthy' 

With Ali and Rashid almost certainly guaranteed a place in the starting line up - With a strong option of Livingstone in there as well, that is 30 overs available between them - Possibly 2-5 overs for Root - Curran as an all rounder, they only need two more pace bowlers in each match - Unsure if Stokes will bowl at all and maybe that is the issue 

Bairstow, Roy, Root, Brook, Malan, Stokes, Butler, Curran, Ali, Rashid, Pace, Pace - That's 12 and still no Livingstone - So maybe Brook for Malan  - Maybe it's not as easy as I think as I still want to get 2 dedicated pace bowlers in there - Stokes is the issue yet he should be able to play on his batting and fielding alone - I'm sure you can't not play him - Would be better/easier if he could bowl say 5/6 overs and split him with Root as required
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Honoured to announce I have been asked to serve on MCC Cricket Committee for four years.

Truly over the moon.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Honoured to announce I have been asked to serve on MCC Cricket Committee for four years.

Truly over the moon.
    Any particular role, game plan, within such an organisation - ie a particular area you'll be working on 
    Congrats.

Have they set out a schdule to transform you from strat-toting gunslinger to gin-slinging old dodderer (as Ian Botham memorably described them).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:
    Congrats.

Have they set out a schdule to transform you from strat-toting gunslinger to gin-slinging old dodderer (as Ian Botham memorably described them).

I'm a Les Paul man these days. Sad but true.

Gassage said:

Truly over the moon.
    Any particular role, game plan, within such an organisation - ie a particular area you'll be working on 
    Comms, unsurprisingly

Well, that was a good start, wasn't it?

All eleven English batsmen scored double figures, none of the Kiwis did. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Australia just got stuffed by South Africa. 
    They one by 134 runs .
    The cheats Warner and Smith didn’t last long  Loved the look on there faces as they walked back to the pavilion  =)
    tFB Trader
    Yes, the Aussies are enjoying a good autumn in two world cups aren't they !!