Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

One idea was a 'time clock' as per tennis - Either between overs - If bowlers, or indeed batsman aren't ready, then runs added/subtracted would be the penalty - Or 4 mins allowed from the first ball in the over to the umpires saying 'over' after the 6th ball - Any default on this and runs added accordingly - But a 3rd Umpire would have to make allowance for 'official' delays, be it a wicket, hit on the head, appeal referrals etc - Probably easier to apply a time clock between overs and this will cut back on 'board room discussions' between captains and bowlers (often 2/3 bowlers as well) 

I really like the idea of adding some kind of clock. And proper punishments. 

They have done it in baseball.  They made their games half an hour shorter.
    I think it would be initially the easiest option to bring into the game - Just then what is the punishment for 'not ready to bowl' - Has to be runs in the form of extras 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    crunchman said:

One idea was a 'time clock' as per tennis - Either between overs - If bowlers, or indeed batsman aren't ready, then runs added/subtracted would be the penalty - Or 4 mins allowed from the first ball in the over to the umpires saying 'over' after the 6th ball - Any default on this and runs added accordingly - But a 3rd Umpire would have to make allowance for 'official' delays, be it a wicket, hit on the head, appeal referrals etc - Probably easier to apply a time clock between overs and this will cut back on 'board room discussions' between captains and bowlers (often 2/3 bowlers as well) 

I think it would be initially the easiest option to bring into the game - Just then what is the punishment for 'not ready to bowl' - Has to be runs in the form of extras 

If you don't want to add runs, the other option is that a bowler who isn't ready to bowl within the time limit has to be taken off at the end of the over, and can't bowl again for half an hour.  For a second offence, he can't bowl again for an hour.  Increase it for every offence.

You need something to stop batsmen gaming the system as well.  Cameron Green was walking off towards square leg between every ball in the last over before tea the other day.  Moeen was standing at the end of his run up waiting for him and he wasn't even at the batting crease, let alone taking his guard.  In baseball, the batter gets a strike against him if he's not ready for the pitch 8 seconds before the pitch clock runs out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

If you don't want to add runs, the other option is that a bowler who isn't ready to bowl within the time limit has to be taken off at the end of the over, and can't bowl again for half an hour.  For a second offence, he can't bowl again for an hour.  Increase it for every offence.

You need something to stop batsmen gaming the system as well.  Cameron Green was walking off towards square leg between every ball in the last over before tea the other day.  Moeen was standing at the end of his run up waiting for him and he wasn't even at the batting crease, let alone taking his guard.  In baseball, the batter gets a strike against him if he's not ready for the pitch 8 seconds before the pitch clock runs out.
    Like your idea of the bowler to be penalized - Or remove a fielder for 30 mins 

But the time limit on the clock is for the batsman as well - Not sure how you do that without taking off runs

But if we come up with simple suggestions then why can't the appropriate test boards improve blatant time wasting 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Surely the umpire should be the source of on-field discipline and hurry the bowlers and batsmen along. 

But the time limit on the clock is for the batsman as well - Not sure how you do that without taking off runs

Give them a warning if they aren't ready and taking their guard by the time the bowler is at the end of their run up.  3 warnings and they are retired out.  Give them a couple of mini-timeouts per session if they need to tie up their shoelaces or change bat/gloves.
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Surely the umpire should be the source of on-field discipline and hurry the bowlers and batsmen along. 
    But their hands are tied in that no option currently available as to what 'punishment' they can offer - All teams are guilty of a slow over rate as/when required - Stokes as well as Cummins in this case 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

But if we come up with simple suggestions then why can't the appropriate test boards improve blatant time wasting 
    Because they dont actually want to change it. 

Teams aren't actually upset by slow over rates - every team plays slowly when it suits. They just pretend to be outraged on the occasions when someone does it to them. 

Any change on this will be driven by the media and by spectators because teams don't actually want to play faster. 

tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

Because they dont actually want to change it. 

Teams aren't actually upset by slow over rates - every team plays slowly when it suits. They just pretend to be outraged on the occasions when someone does it to them. 

Any change on this will be driven by the media and by spectators because teams don't actually want to play faster. 

Agree - See my earlier post - That is why the pundits on R5 TMS said changes need to be made with discussion between the authorities and current captains/coaches as to why they won't/don't want to bowl 90 overs in a day - The general sense of opinion was a) to slow the game down as required, when it suits (as you say) but also to ensure key bowlers are not over worked - But the rules need to be made by the authorities not the players

As I said earlier imagine players deciding we are not going to play for 90 mins in a football match - We'll only play for 80 mins - It is not for the players to decide - I know there is time wasting but a) the ref can issue a yellow card and b) add injury time - In cricket there is currently no policy in place to administer any punishment - It can't be funds related either 
    tFB Trader
    So same team
    all still to play for 
    the Aussies haven’t won the ashes in England for over 20 years so let’s keep that on track 
    don’t know what the oval weather forecast is like 
    So same team
    all still to play for 
    the Aussies haven’t won the ashes in England for over 20 years so let’s keep that on track 
    don’t know what the oval weather forecast is like 

Showers on and off for the first 4 days.  At the moment Monday looks properly wet.  Obviously 5 days out that could change.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I’m going today. Not sure how much I’ll see with the forecast
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    I’m going today. Not sure how much I’ll see with the forecast
    enjoy - I watched the 1st day at Headingley - Great to be there in person and be part of the crowd - Loved it 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited July 2023
    The Ashes 2023 Stats, TEST, Most Runs (cricketworld.com)

According the stats linked above, in this Ashes series England players have:
    • Most runs
    • Highest individual score
    • Highest strike rate
    • Most 6s
    • Most wickets
    • Best economy rate
    • Best batting average
    • Most maidens
    • England scored more runs that Aus
    • England taken more wickets that Aus
    But no Urn. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    What a catch my Root - Man U would be chuffed to bits to have a keeper who could pull that off
    What a catch my Root - Man U would be chuffed to bits to have a keeper who could pull that off

If England had a decent keeper,  Root wouldn't have needed to make that catch.  That should have been Bairstow's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I feel old.  I can remember the sub fielder's Grandad playing cricket.
    crunchman said:
    Alan Ealham was a superb fielder and not half bad as a captain.

We could have done with him today after our latest batting collapse. 
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:
    Alan Ealham was a superb fielder and not half bad as a captain.

We could have done with him today after our latest batting collapse. 
    Almost became the new Gary Pratt
    I remember his Dad. Very underrated all rounder because he was a bit tubby, but dropped with a bowling average under 30 whilst averaging over 20 with the bat. Madness
    Looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow afternoon and Monday, England need to go beserk for 40 minutes and get the Aussies in chasing 300 to 320.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Looking great but an impending inevitability that the weather is going to shaft England again. 

A 2 1 win to the Aussies really won't seem like a fair result but that's what the history books will show.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Broady retiring.
    Let's hope the weather lets England finish in style...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    I bet David Warner is relieved =) ,although it's possible neither would have made it to the next Ashes anyway I guess.

i have only really followed cricket with serious interest since around 2009 and that was the first Ashes series I really followed, so Stuart Broad has been a mainstay in the England team all the time I've followed them. It feels quite a changing of the guard and a sad moment with Broady leaving the game. I wonder if he will do some stints on commentary? 

How long before Jimmy goes?, he's had a quiet series.

I’m quite emotional abroad Broady calling it a day. I’m sure he’ll have a commentary box career, but he’s the type of competitive cricketer I love. Totally the end of an era not having Broad and Jimmy in the same team. We’ve been privileged to see the very best seamers who have ever played for England. There have been faster, but there haven’t been two more skilful bowlers in the history of the game who kept working hard to get better.
    Im pleased Broady has gone out at the absolute top, but he’s irreplaceable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    I bet the Aussies will give him a guard of honour today when they walk out this morning

But come on Stuart - One last time, before we celebrate - Inc the wicket of Warner for nostalgia - 
    Lovely six from Broad. 
    tFB Trader
    Broad now the 5th best six hitter for England

KP the only ‘batsman’ on that list - I dare say you can guess the other 3
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Lovely six from Broad. 
    And the last time he scored a run for England 
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    I’m quite emotional abroad Broady calling it a day. I’m sure he’ll have a commentary box career, but he’s the type of competitive cricketer I love. Totally the end of an era not having Broad and Jimmy in the same team. We’ve been privileged to see the very best seamers who have ever played for England. There have been faster, but there haven’t been two more skilful bowlers in the history of the game who kept working hard to get better.
    Im pleased Broady has gone out at the absolute top, but he’s irreplaceable.
    Agree - Central contracts and regular rest from county cricket has certainly allowed for a longer career - Their own fitness plan/desire has also helped- Never the regular/long term injury that plights so many bowlers 

Compare Broad v Truman - Broad played over 100 more test matches but in his full career Fred bowled nearly twice as many deliveries around 50k v 99k - Fred took over twice as many career wickets 
    Why hasn't Wood had a bowl yet?