Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited July 2023
    It's a good batting pitch, Aussies will go well and eat into that total steadily as they have time on their side unless England can excel with the ball and field work, need 3 or 4 down today and keep the pressure on them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    Why wouldn't you give the ball back to Wood straight after the Tea interval? He had just removed Khawaja and then they don't give him the ball again for another 13 or 14 overs. He'd bowled one successful over ... it's not like it was a long stint. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    HerrMetal said:
    Why wouldn't you give the ball back to Wood straight after the Tea interval? He had just removed Khawaja and then they don't give him the ball again for another 13 or 14 overs. He'd bowled one successful over ... it's not like it was a long stint. 
    I asked the same question 

will be interesting to see if Jimmy plays at the Oval or they bring back Tongue - Jimmy not getting that ball to talk
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    HerrMetal said:
    I asked the same question 

will be interesting to see if Jimmy plays at the Oval or they bring back Tongue - Jimmy not getting that ball to talk

Jimmy was still getting reasonable pace.  The speed gun on Sky was showing 83mph at one point.

He wasn't getting much movement with the new ball though.  Not sure what is wrong.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Probably got an eye on the next 2 days and the Oval, he’s prone to injury so best not to push your luck
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    We got this
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited July 2023
    usedtobe said:
    We got this
    You reckon? 6 wickets are hard to get when the covers are on.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Is there a more depressingly fkg English thing than losing a cricket series due to rain in Manchester?

Horrible shame if it happens but it looks like it might. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    usedtobe said:
    We got this
    You reckon? 6 wickets are hard to get when the covers are on.

looks like a day for the archive library and the voice of Richie
    edited July 2023
    Hattigol said:
    Is there a more depressingly fkg English thing than losing a cricket series due to rain in Manchester?

Agreed, it will be even more galling as England are so dominant in this game, with fair weather it looks like it would be a comfortable win to level the series. England's fist innings total is amazing. 

You never know, maybe there will be some overs, maybe tomorrow, and something magic will happen? The Barmy Army usually sing "It's gonna rain in a minute" now we need them to sing for the sun.

Hattigol said:

It's not just that though.  We threw away the first two tests - or dropped the first test in Bairstow's case.
    Is anyone else having problems with cricinfo.com?
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Is anyone else having problems with cricinfo.com?
    No - never heard of it
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader

Interesting stat from the BBC TMS

Some stats around rain, venues and washed out days compared to Australia.

Perth has never had a complete day washed out. One in Hobart, two in Adelaide, eight in Brisbane, nine at the MCG and 24 washed out days in Manchester.

But top of the leaderboard is Sydney with 25.

Pretty sure Sydney has had more rain than Manchester this last year or two.

I lived in and around Manchester for 10 years - I was starting to develop webs between my toes when I left.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited July 2023
    Nelson strikes again! Labuschagne gone on 111

C'mon Rooty let's have a fifer.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Get through these two quick and we’ll be in very good shape. 
    It must be frustrating for England when the umpire who is wearing shades says it's too dark for pace bowling

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It must be frustrating for England when the umpire who is wearing shades says it's too dark for pace bowling

Root has looked a lot more dangerous than the quick bowlers.  The quick bowlers will be fresh for the new ball.  It's worked out quite well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    crunchman said:
    Aussies only 24 overs in the session.  There should be penalty runs when it's that slow.
    As an overview then I agree - It has probably been less of an issue within 'Bazball' as most games have finished with a +ve result, so the lack of 90 overs in a day has become less of an issue

The issue will be factors like checking an appeal via 3rd official, physio on for ball hitting helmet etc - Even no balls - All that never happened on this morning session - But the 3rd official would need to way up such factors - Even 3/4/5 wickets in a session as that would account for lack of deliveries - Even the batting team trying to slow it down if it suits them  - So a 3rd official would have to be given a guide line to work with regarding various factors that you can't blame the bowling team for

However, then you need to decide what the punishment would be - I don't think it can be 'lack of overs' then to be bowled after 6.30 as often conditions/weather/light might not allow for it - It has to be runs added to the score board for lack of deliveries - To be accounted for after each of the 3 sessions - 1 run for lack of each over not bowled is not enough - 6 runs for each over not bowled is probably a good starting point
    I read on the OBO yesterday (not sure if it was the BBC or the Grauniad), in response to England fans complaining about the Aussies' slow over rate, that it was better than England's in the first innings.
    if we get any play tomorrow, things could get tense as the Aussie batsmen casually wander around the crease inbetween balls and the covers are on and off.

I put it at no more than 20% chance of England getting the remaining wickets down looking at the forecast

• chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I’ve got a feeling we might regret the drop off Marsh. Tough chance but need to take those if you want to win in short time
    edited July 2023
    chris78 said:
    I’ve got a feeling we might regret the drop off Marsh. Tough chance but need to take those if you want to win in short time
    Bigger regret will be the sloppy moments of play in the first 2 matches, if we'd won one of those this risk of weather is academic and we'd be going into The Oval 2-1 up if no result at Old Trafford

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BBC weather forecast looks grim for today at Old Trafford

Pat Cummins has asked for a seat to reserved for the Urn on the Quantas flight home.  :/

• WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 62
    edited July 2023
    Cricket rained off. Golf boring due to massive lead. It's up to Hamilton to save the day!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    pigface said:
    crunchman said:
    Aussies only 24 overs in the session.  There should be penalty runs when it's that slow.
    As an overview then I agree - It has probably been less of an issue within 'Bazball' as most games have finished with a +ve result, so the lack of 90 overs in a day has become less of an issue

The issue will be factors like checking an appeal via 3rd official, physio on for ball hitting helmet etc - Even no balls - All that never happened on this morning session - But the 3rd official would need to way up such factors - Even 3/4/5 wickets in a session as that would account for lack of deliveries - Even the batting team trying to slow it down if it suits them  - So a 3rd official would have to be given a guide line to work with regarding various factors that you can't blame the bowling team for

However, then you need to decide what the punishment would be - I don't think it can be 'lack of overs' then to be bowled after 6.30 as often conditions/weather/light might not allow for it - It has to be runs added to the score board for lack of deliveries - To be accounted for after each of the 3 sessions - 1 run for lack of each over not bowled is not enough - 6 runs for each over not bowled is probably a good starting point
    I read on the OBO yesterday (not sure if it was the BBC or the Grauniad), in response to England fans complaining about the Aussies' slow over rate, that it was better than England's in the first innings.
    More teams need to be properly punished for slow over rates. Seem to remember the first test of this series was plagued by it too. It's rubbish for the spectators. 
    Cricket rained off. Golf boring due to massive lead. It's up to Hamilton to save the day!
    Yep, we're consoling ourselves with making a big pot of Chinese style chicken and king prawn curry, washing it down with a few  Staropramens and watching F1 and cheering on LH

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    The infuriating thing is, we could easily be 3-0 up, have won the Ashes already, and we'd just be bemoaning the fact that the weather was spoiling the chance of a 5-0 whitewash.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

The infuriating thing is, we could easily be 3-0 up, have won the Ashes already, and we'd just be bemoaning the fact that the weather was spoiling the chance of a 5-0 whitewash.
    Also, if my aunty had balls and they were on fire, we'd actually be glad of this rain to put them out.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Hattigol said:
    Also, if my aunty had balls and they were on fire, we'd actually be glad of this rain to put them out.
    It's true, though.  Were it not for a strange declaration on Day 1 when Root was carving it all over the ground, and a dumb half hour at Lord's chasing the short ball, England could easily have won the first two.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb