Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I'd be half-tempted to try Woakes at 3. I see the arguments for moving Root up the order but if he's happy making runs at 4 then keep him there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    chris78 said:
    Got to be Root at 3. Nobody else equipped to do the job

Stokes is.  He might have the best technique of anyone in the team.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I’ve got a feeling stokes has batted at 3 at least in odis without success
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    chris78 said:
    Got to be Root at 3. Nobody else equipped to do the job

Stokes is.  He might have the best technique of anyone in the team.
    I think for the balance of the team he needs to be at 3 - He is no longer a #6 all rounder - Can barely bowl on a regular basis - To hit 'n' miss - J Kallis was fine at 3 and still bowled on a good day - Can sort out later if/when Pope comes back 

#3 Stokes - #4 Root - #5 Brook - #6 Bairstow - That leaves 5 bowlers with Ali + Woakes as 'weak' all rounders - I say weak as not in the Botham/Flintoff mode - Basically bowlers who can get runs on a good day  - Option of Curran, as/when back in as well at #6 - But Stokes is no longer a #6
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    What about if we don’t have a 3 and have a 12 instead, then Root can bat at 4 and everyone is happy 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Batting at 3, bowling, plus captaining the team is too much to ask of any player, he’s fucked himself enough as it is
    Root dropped from 3 because it was too much with being captain, he should move back up imo. He’s not exactly been setting the world alight at 4 in any case
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    Root dropped from 3 because it was too much with being captain, he should move back up imo. He’s not exactly been setting the world alight at 4 in any case
    118 not out + 46 in the 1st test not good enough ?

153 not out in the winter tour 

Not by his standards, some of those dazzle dazzle shots he’s been trying are well off the mark. I’d like to see him sent in at 3 with instructions to get himself set for the long haul 
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    Not by his standards, some of those dazzle dazzle shots he’s been trying are well off the mark. I’d like to see him sent in at 3 with instructions to get himself set for the long haul 
    Agree that this 'wafting' your bat at a ball going down leg side is annoying - To many are getting out this way - Think 2/3 in the last innings alone at Headingley - Looking at Joe's stats his strike rate in 2023 is by a large margin higher than at any other time during his career - Agree he should be the glue that others can/should bat around him 

He is not a mug as a one day player - Think 34 years ago he was the only world wide batsman in the top 10 rankings for T20, ODI and Test - But in this team I want to see him build his and the team's innings - There will, of course, be times when you need to up the tempo - Setting a declaration target, chasing a winning total with time against you etc
    Root has 3 half centuries, a century and 150 in his last 6 games.
    I reckon he's doing OK
    He’s also slipped to 6th place from 2nd in the rankings this time last year
    elstoof said:
    He’s also slipped to 6th place from 2nd in the rankings this time last year
    He was ranked 1 a week or two ago.
    Rankings are bollcoks.
    Williamson moved top without playing
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Good win from England Women today at Bristol, to level the series on points:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/65032791

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    edited July 2023
    Anyone watching the WI-India Test? India 79 ahead on the first innings without losing a wicket. 21 year old opener Jaiswal has made a ton on debut.

Edit: Rohit just dismissed after also making a ton.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited July 2023
    Whether looking patchy for Manchester next week, it may bring the draw into play more than the previous matches which obviously will not be in Englands favour for the series. Mind you, with Bazball, they may only need a day and half to bat both their innings.  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Anyone got any spare OT tickets? 
    Just on the off chance  :)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Well done Somerset

That was a lot more interesting than the usual flat pitches.
    It was the worst finals day I’ve been to in 10 years.
    Crowd was flat, weather didn’t help and the batting was awful. 
    I was actually getting quite hysterical about how playing the slog down the ground didn’t work and yet they kept on. We had a joke with the people in front about how when anyone got to 20, dickhead disease would set in, they’d slog one and get out.

Ive seen amazing finishes over the years and top moments (last year was unreal with a 1run win) that wasn’t it.
    I’ve got my tickets for 2024 and hoping for a better pitch.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited July 2023
    Who were you supporting Chris as from my Somerset armchair fan perspective it seemed like there were loads of ciderboys there making lots of noise . I’m biased of course but I also loved the fact the pitch was doing a bit and TKC’s catch to end the Essex innings so close to them winning it was brilliant I thought 
    @DrCornelius ;
    Im a Kent fan so I would have been happy as long as Essex or Surrey didn’t win.
    I was enjoying giving it back to a few Essex boys in corporate who were getting excited. Definitely some good support for Somerset and well deserved- they’ve been comfortably the best side this season. 
    The hollies was pretty quiet though and the ground almost silent for a lot of the matches. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    edited July 2023
    England women doing well again, won the toss and chose to bowl - Aussies 4 down already...

chris78 said:
    It was the worst finals day I’ve been to in 10 years.
    Crowd was flat, weather didn’t help and the batting was awful. 
    I was actually getting quite hysterical about how playing the slog down the ground didn’t work and yet they kept on. We had a joke with the people in front about how when anyone got to 20, dickhead disease would set in, they’d slog one and get out.

Ive seen amazing finishes over the years and top moments (last year was unreal with a 1run win) that wasn’t it.
    I’ve got my tickets for 2024 and hoping for a better pitch.

The problem is they don't know how to bat on a pitch that's doing a bit.  They are used to roads.
    Which is fine in a test, but t20 is all about smashing it to all parts.
    Somerset only managed 6 6s yesterday. That’s not what it’s about.
    chris78 said:
    I actually prefer it when you have to work for a boundary and take a risk as a batsman . Otherwise it turns into the cricket equivalent of baseball’s home run derby  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:
    @DrCornelius ;
    Im a Kent fan so I would have been happy as long as Essex or Surrey didn’t win.
    I was enjoying giving it back to a few Essex boys in corporate who were getting excited. Definitely some good support for Somerset and well deserved- they’ve been comfortably the best side this season. 
    The hollies was pretty quiet though and the ground almost silent for a lot of the matches. 
    Cool , I guessed you were a Kent fan bearing in mind where you are . When I lived that way I was a Surrey fan as my Dad grew up near the oval and used to take me there. Now we are down here it’s hard to not support Somerset tbh
    chris78 said:
    I actually prefer it when you have to work for a boundary and take a risk as a batsman . Otherwise it turns into the cricket equivalent of baseball’s home run derby  

Would have been better still if they hadn't had the boundary so far in.  Mishits and top edges won't go for six so often, and it would make them place the ball and run twos.  Far more skill involved.
    tFB Trader
    4th Test at OT

Jimmy in - Ollie out - expected change

M Ali to bat at 3 

Otherwise as was - Weather could be the enemy this match which will please the Aussies
    tFB Trader
    Time for a change of luck

We've not won an Ashes match at OT since 1981 - Apparently Jimmy has not won an Ashes match for 8 years - And Jimmy has never taken a test match five for in one innings at OT