Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    I think the Bazball has got a puncture, it's sitting in the corner looking like a deflated old football

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Whilst we have comeback from a large first innings deficit ar Headingley a couple of times there's no need for it to be the modus operandum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    England are in one man army mode again to try and save their blushes at the first innings total, what is going on?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    But is it any kind of surprise?

Just felt inevitable. Abysmal opening from the two Yorkshire lads. You kind of knew it would come down to how Stokes did. Again.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Australia are doing exactly the same outcome, just one player managed to score in each 1st innings 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Against the old adversary you have to be on it. Easy wickets then expecting Stokes to bat England back into it... Well, it's playing with fire imo. 

:) 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Meanwhile, Robinson is not on the pitch, and our bowlers haven't had much rest.  If they Australians can get through the next hour or so without too much damage, they could bat for 2 days and still have plenty of time to bowl us out.
    But yet in the evening session there is still hope as Aussie top order falls. Is this cricket for the short attention span iPhone generation?

We are playing to save the hopes of The Ashes and I feel queasy

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I've never understood cricket.  I've seen people get very VERY into it and talk about what an amazing match it was etc, but from a completely ignorant position it's hardly a great spectator sport is it?  Someone chucks a ball at someone else, they smack it with a bit of wood and run back and fore hoping nobody catches it or gets the ball quickly and knocks down some other little bits of wood.

It seems a bit like baseball but with less movement.

Never got it.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I wouldn’t fancy us chasing more than 200, 220 at a push.
    Stokes doesn’t even have one leg, Robinson isn’t fit, Brook isn’t a 3. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've never understood cricket.  I've seen people get very VERY into it and talk about what an amazing match it was etc, but from a completely ignorant position it's hardly a great spectator sport is it?  Someone chucks a ball at someone else, they smack it with a bit of wood and run back and fore hoping nobody catches it or gets the ball quickly and knocks down some other little bits of wood.

Never got it.
    Great insight. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it needs to be expressed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Emp_Fab said:

Never got it.
    Very few sports come out well when  described in such a manner, Emp!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Emp_Fab said:

Never got it.
    I'd never trust a man that doesn't imbibe or a man that doesn't like cricket.
    I'm teetotal but love cricket, where does that put me in your scale of trustworthiness?

I think Bairstow's days with the gloves must be numbered, and unless he gets a decent score with the bst in the second innings his plave in the team mudt surely be in question. 
    scrumhalf said:

I think Bairstow's days with the gloves must be numbered, and unless he gets a decent score with the bst in the second innings his plave in the team mudt surely be in question. 
    Agreed. Absolutely abysmal recently as wicketkeeper and it's not like he's justifying his place with the bat.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    A rain affected day will favour the Aussies more than us - They only need a draw - Yet the stage of the game will probably ensure that it will only need 4 days of playing for a result

Probably the plus factor of 'bazball' is that you generally get a result within 5 days - As such the issue of not bowling 90 overs in a day is less of an issue - You get more runs in day
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Hattigol said:
    scrumhalf said:

Agreed. Absolutely abysmal recently as wicketkeeper and it's not like he's justifying his place with the bat.
    Trouble is, the selectors will need to admit they got it wrong
    A rain affected day will favour the Aussies more than us - They only need a draw - Yet the stage of the game will probably ensure that it will only need 4 days of playing for a result

Probably the plus factor of 'bazball' is that you generally get a result within 5 days - As such the issue of not bowling 90 overs in a day is less of an issue - You get more runs in day
    Looking at the forecast though, I'm not sure we'll get 4 days. It's just more of the same on the way.

A draw due to weather would be a real shame.
    edited July 2023
    Hattigol said:

Looking at the forecast though, I'm not sure we'll get 4 days. It's just more of the same on the way.

A draw due to weather would be a real shame.

Hopefully they get on under cloudy skies, Woakes gets it swinging, and we get the rest of the Aussies for another 40 runs, and we have time to win it.

More realistically, Bairstow and the slips will spill more chances, the Aussies will take advantage of that, and we will lose again unless we are saved by the rain.
    scrumhalf said:
    I'm teetotal but love cricket, where does that put me in your scale of trustworthiness?
    Well, speaking as a borderline alcoholic who doesn't understand cricket, are we in the same boat?
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    S56035 said:
    Great insight. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it needs to be expressed.
    Are you new here?

:lol: 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Hmm....
    Lucky start to the chase.  Duckett edged short of the slips twice, and over them once.
    edited July 2023
    OK so how do England take this really good position and risk losing it?  =)

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    If England dont win from here then the Aussies fully deserve the Ashes tbh.

Doesn't even require any bazball. Just some sensible cricket. I reckon they'll have it done comfortably by tea - barring any rain. 
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    If England dont win from here then the Aussies fully deserve the Ashes tbh.

Doesn't even require any bazball. Just some sensible cricket. I reckon they'll have it done comfortably by tea - barring any rain. 
    Quite so. 2 days to get the runs, weather permitting. Just knock it about.
    Well here we go. On paper those 224 runs should be comfortably achievable with 2 days and 10 wickets in hand but the Australia bowing attack and Cummins captaincy will make this more of a challenge as they look to stifle the run rate waiting for the batting mistakes and wickets.

I don't think is is going to be a walk in the park for either team.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited July 2023
    Looking at the innings so far from both iid say Australia are favourites. 
    Hard to call who is favourite.
    Australia or Stokes.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The target is small enough that England can play in one day mode, which suits their batsmen, as most of them don't have the technique to stay in all day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter