Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• pedalopedalo Frets: 177
    I was there on day 4 in 2019 and am going today!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Not sure how quickly it dries out but there was a hell of a storm up here last night. Like the end of days.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Normally I'm very nervous about England, but this time I'm just thinking get out there and bloody win it. Show up and do it. No stupid errors, just all bring your A game and SHOW US what this new team dynamic can do when they need to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    If they can’t win this, they ought to think about getting proper jobs.. B)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    The doges had a good walk - Next one for him will be 1pm granted a shorter walk and a quick stroll at 3.40 (assuming the game is still on) - So I know what I'm doing today 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    pedalo said:
    I was there on day 4 in 2019 and am going today!
    enjoy - I was there Thurs and in fact was there first day in 2019
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited July 2023
    crunchman said:
    The target is small enough that England can play in one day mode, which suits their batsmen, as most of them don't have the technique to stay in all day. 
    Indeed, why win in a day and a session losing just say 3 or 4 wickets when you can flash the bat in T20 mode lofted shots and take it to the wire with 9 down and 20 runs still remaining?  

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    crunchman said:
    The target is small enough that England can play in one day mode, which suits their batsmen, as most of them don't have the technique to stay in all day. 
    Indeed, why win in a day and a session losing just say 3 or 4 wickets when you can flash the bat in T20 mode lofted shots and take it to the wire with 9 down and 20 runs still remaining?  
     :o Nooooooo! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Going to be a nail biting day!

in homage to airplane “I chose the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.”
    edited July 2023
    I hope they just keep on with the tip and run singles and leave the ball more, that total will fall all in good time, hopefully the sun will bring an afternoons solid steady batting rather than a succession of wafts. Just wait for the good balls to hit

edited July 2023
    Root gone. Unbelievable, why why why lazily waft when it's wide down the leg side? just leave it FFS

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Root. You prick. 

Where's his cricket brain - 10 minutes to lunch? Utter stupidity.

All on Stokes. Again. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    More annoyed at Zak.
    Looked utterly untroubled until he decided to drive a ball not there for about the 70th time in his England career and his 200th if you’re including Kent (where he averages similar and plays the same)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Fuck. Stokes gone. 161-5.

Time for Bairstow to redeem himself. 
    edited July 2023
    Should I' get a packing box and print off a shipping label for the urn? 

An utterly winnable position seemingly pissed away

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Should I' get a packing box and print off a shipping label for the urn? 

An utterly winnable position seemingly pissed away
    Yup 
    Bairstow gone and Woakes is trying to whack the cover off the ball. Unbelievable.

2019 - The Pissed It Away Because We Batted Like Arseholes Ashes l. 
    Brilliant…more casual, aimless, brainless wide of leg wafting…really reading the situation here these batsmen

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    If England win I don't think they'll change the team, but if they dont surely that's the end of Bairstow's series.

crunchman said:
    Looks like you called it, @RandallFlagg  ; :s
    God, I LOVE test cricket. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Never in doubt. Don’t know what you lot were worried about.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thank God for that…well it was in doubt for way too long. This tension is aging me! And relax…until Manchester

scrumhalf said:
    God, I LOVE test cricket. 
    Yep, thrilling stress, from joy to misery and back again

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Ya beauty!!!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Woody MOTM, and thoroughly deserved.

tFB Trader
    Well Headingley sure knows how to stage a thriller - maybe not as dramatic as Stokes/2019 as a big difference coming to the finishing line with 1 wicket available v 3

Keeps the Ashes alive - Have we ever won 3 on the bounce v the Aussies

Was hoping Brook would bring it on home in front of his fans on home turf

Point 1- Why do we get so many dismissals wafting the bat about down the leg side - 2/3 this innings alone

Point 2 - That recent report about various inequalites in cricket - racism, sexism etc - well now we have northern-ism - Next Ashes tour in 2027 and no test match at Headingley or Old Trafford - So no test match for the northerners 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^ Back in 2031, though, so that's all right...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    No squad changes to the England line up for the forthcoming OT match - So Jonny retain the gloves 

Assume Pope out for the rest of the series - So who will bat at 3 - My initial reaction to Ali coming in at #3 in the second innings was for a quick ODI style blast - But that was not the case - If Ben can't bowl and becomes less effective as a bowler then for the balance of the side I think he needs to consider the #3 slot aka J Kallis - Bat first and bowl occasionally as required

Assume Jimmy will come back in for Robinson - Looks like Tongue will be unfortunate to miss out as hard to change Woakes, Wood, Broad - Plus they will have had a few days to rest up 
    Got to be Root at 3. Nobody else equipped to do the job