Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Sunak say's it is just not cricket - Waiting for a response from the Labour Party
    They’ll agree with him..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    usedtobe said:
    Sunak say's it is just not cricket - Waiting for a response from the Labour Party
    They’ll agree with him..
    Well, sometimes it is possible to simply agree about things.
    Being nominally in opposition doesn't apply to every aspect of life  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    My piece now up in the good old Thunderer, known to all at The Times

As a member and cricketer this incident pained me to watch and it's far from the #spiritofcricket as you can get.

MCC members let themselves and cricket down with their fury (thetimes.co.uk)

#ashes2023 #ashes #longroom #JonnyBairstow #mcc

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Stuckfast said:
    The frustrating thing for me was that England reached a point where they needed less than 80 to win, with four wickets in hand, and no close fielders for Stokes. When they started hiding the ball outside off stump, he was at no risk of getting out unless he tried to hit sixes. Could he not have done it in ones and twos from there?
    I assume with his knees he wants to run as little as possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Gassage said:

As a member and cricketer this incident pained me to watch and it's far from the #spiritofcricket as you can get.

Isn't it all just part of the #bants that cricket is so famous for?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Gassage said:
    So The Times asked me to write a piece on this. 

So I have.

In 2014, I was asked by the MCC Players & Fixtures Chairman to draft a note outlining the behaviour of Playing Members- those that are gifted enough as cricketers alone to be fast tracked into membership due to their contribution to the sport on the field of play.

Byline: James While is Snr Rugby Correspondent for Planet Rugby and a regular contributor to The Cricketer. As an MCC Playing Member, he has represented the Club almost 200 times in eight different countries of the world.

Easy on that modesty.... ;)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Jesus - No Pope for the rest of the series  

No Foakes to be brought in - There was an option there to move Bairstow up the order and bring in Foakes - Looks like option a) is to bring in Lawrence - An other option is to move Stokes up to 3 (Jacques Kallis style) then bring in Woakes or Ali as an additional bowler who can bat a bit at #7 as well
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited July 2023

No Foakes to be brought in - There was an option there to move Bairstow up the order and bring in Foakes - Looks like option a) is to bring in Lawrence - An other option is to move Stokes up to 3 (Jacques Kallis style) then bring in Woakes or Ali as an additional bowler who can bat a bit at #7 as well
    I don't really know Lawrence that well but doesn't seem a better option than bringing Ali back if his finger has recovered to me or Foakes.  Pope not exactly smashing the runs so far to be fair.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Who could take over the gloves if YJB gets crocked? 
    tFB Trader
    IMG_9081jpegThe ballad of John and oh no !!!!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Stuckfast said:
    The frustrating thing for me was that England reached a point where they needed less than 80 to win, with four wickets in hand, and no close fielders for Stokes. When they started hiding the ball outside off stump, he was at no risk of getting out unless he tried to hit sixes. Could he not have done it in ones and twos from there?
    I assume with his knees he wants to run as little as possible.
    Cricket's a strange game at times. In what other sport would you play someone who was injured to the extent that tactics have to change to accomodate them? Assuming Stokes was more injured in this match than the chronic injury that prevents him from bowling, should he not be dropped for the next game?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Assume you want to win the game. How many batsmen can you think of in either team who you would pick ahead of an injured Stokes? Root and Smith, sure. Labuschagne, Head, Khawaja, maybe. Even if you picked all of those just mentioned, your best-of-two-teams side still has injured-as-is Stokes in it, and not the last man picked either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492

I've read they're going to move Brook to 3 with Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes as our order.

Root should be 3 for me.
    Gassage said:

Isn't it all just part of the #bants that cricket is so famous for?
    Banter by proxy ain't a good look.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    chris78 said:

I've read they're going to move Brook to 3 with Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes as our order.

Root should be 3 for me.
    That's a long tail.  3-0 here we come.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Going 0-2 down in the Ashes and *still* winning is a big ask. 

Australia play hard cricket and I have to say England were the architects of their own downfall in parts of the second Test with poor batting/bowling and dropped catches. 

As a neutral I just want
     to see good cricket with each player their best. If it's Oz or England on top doesn't matter a jot to me. It's the game I love 

crunchman said:
    chris78 said:

Root should be 3 for me.

I am sorry, I simply cannot see that.

There's 3 blokes with test hundreds batting 7, 8 and 11. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    chris78 said:

Root should be 3 for me.

I am sorry, I simply cannot see that.

There's 3 blokes with test hundreds batting 7, 8 and 11. 

They just have to bowl short at Moeen and Broad these days.  They have been worked out.

Woakes is ok, but he's not as good as Pope.
    True re Woakes and Pope.

Moeen is as likely to get 150 as 15. Dangerous.

tFB Trader
    Looks like it is now confirmed with Brook at 3 - A bit of a gamble as he doesn't even play there for Yorks

Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Harry Brook, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson.

Anderson rested and probably a good move as it has happened so far for him - Bit unlucky for Tongue as did a good job at Lords

I'm there tomorrow - 1st day - looking forward to it
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    usedtobe said:
    They’ll agree with him..
    Well, sometimes it is possible to simply agree about things.
    Being nominally in opposition doesn't apply to every aspect of life  ;)
    I was implying that Starmers a Tory, and basically agrees with everything they do.. but you probably knew that..;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    Mark Wood showing what true pace can do. Outstanding bowling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Frustrating afternoon for Scotland who really should be kicking themselves for not seeing off the Netherlands in the WC qualifiers. Some woeful captaincy in my view. A bit of a strange one, the team have overachieved this tournament but equally we effectively had the Netherlands 0/4 chasing 170 in a T20 and blew it. Frustrating. 

The closed shop that is international cricket continues to frustrate. Its mental that beating West Indies and Zimbabwe doesn't bring qualification. Pretty fed up of the ICC's insistence on not letting any of the smaller nations have a chance to threaten the bigger boys so thankfully the next WC is bigger. 

Anything interesting happen in the wee game today? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    It started great then not so great then great again now not so great again. 
    munckee said:
    It started great then not so great then great again now not so great again. 
    Par for the course then. 

From the first two tests I got the impression that if either team had any consistency, they'd run away with the series. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Frustrating afternoon for Scotland who really should be kicking themselves for not seeing off the Netherlands in the WC qualifiers. Some woeful captaincy in my view. A bit of a strange one, the team have overachieved this tournament but equally we effectively had the Netherlands 0/4 chasing 170 in a T20 and blew it. Frustrating. 

The closed shop that is international cricket continues to frustrate. Its mental that beating West Indies and Zimbabwe doesn't bring qualification. Pretty fed up of the ICC's insistence on not letting any of the smaller nations have a chance to threaten the bigger boys so thankfully the next WC is bigger. 

I really thought Scotland had done enough with 279.  Hard luck, that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nitefly said:

I really thought Scotland had done enough with 279.  Hard luck, that.
    Not sure there was much luck involved. 

Could (should) have scored more runs, and some of the bowling was woeful. A "learning experience" I think. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    UnclePsychosis said:

100%.

The WC qualifiers have been a delight to watch.  Some great, close and exciting games.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Mark Wood showing what true pace can do. Outstanding bowling.
    Just watching the highlights. He is seriously rapid. And he always comes across in interviews as a thoroughly decent bloke. Pleased for him. 
    tFB Trader
    Just got home - Enjoyed the day - Great atmosphere - Hard to fault the whole experience - back to TMS tomorrow
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter