Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited July 2023
    UnclePsychosis said:
    For me it was karma for yesterday's controversial decision. 
    I recall from decades ago if there was a catch like Starc's, the player would turn their hand to ensure the ball did not touch the ground. The slide along the ground certainly helped Starc stabilise his motion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Not cricket at all that Bairstow dismissal. Australia are better than that. 
    Takes something to get booed in the Long Room!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    Hattigol said:
    All of the long room old boys clapped in England just a handful for the Aussies and a bit of argie bargie with one old chap towards the end of their walk.

The members are not amused

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Bairstow stumping - unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of the game. He marked his crease to confirm he was in.
    I would have agreed if it hadn't been for that disgusting "non-catch" given yesterday.  After wearing that disgrace of a decision, you take what you can get.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    If the Aussies had any shred of sportsmanship they’d withdraw the appeal.
    @Tannin yesterday was down to the umpires. That disgrace is solely down to your keeper and captain.
    The fact they were so scared of Stokes before lunch that the Aussie skipper feels the need to timewaste, oh sorry, sort his socks out, shows how Stokes has got in their heads.
    Its too many runs to win, but it’ll be a shallow Aussie victory after that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    In Long Room atmosphere terms, that's the equivalent of launching your nuclear strike arsenal....

I am sure I heard someone go as far as "bloody bad show!"

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Nightmare here, I have the 2 lads in the house wanting to watch the F1 live and I want to watch the cricket and then the F1.

I might have to cause a family rift here…oh well, I'm daddy bear and it's my house, my telly…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Can't do this......can we?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Probably not but it shows why the Aussies had to send a guy out on one leg to eek out 15 runs 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Gassage said:
    In Long Room atmosphere terms, that's the equivalent of launching your nuclear strike arsenal....

I am sure I heard someone go as far as "bloody bad show!"
    And there was me thinking that cricket was all about doing anything and everything you could to gain an advantage... and WIN...

Lots always said about the spirit of the game in these cases and yet cricket is very far removed from that ideal...

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    If we had any decent openers we’d be 2-0 up by now.  
    Broad is hilarious with his over the top “I'm in my crease” dramatics

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Broad is hilarious with his over the top “I'm in my crease” dramatics
    Loving it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Stokes has the Aussies in ODI death bowling mode in a Test Match. Despite my earlier misgivings at the reckless throwing away of wickets, to see one man in control of the whole field like this is truly exceptional, he really will go down as one of crickets absolute greats, a stunning 150 is up.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Bugger.

Apparently Jimmy has never scored the winning runs in a test match. Now's as good a time as any. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Hattigol said:
    Didn't Ollie Pope do something to de Grandhomme last year? 

He played a defensive shot then walked out of his crease, then Pope ran him out.  Not exactly the same scenario but was there a similarity? 
    Similar but different. 
    Stokes deserves man of the match but do they ever give it to someone on the losing team?

Brilliant tactics from the Aussies to dry up Ben Stokes by bowling wide to the offside

https://www.ecb.co.uk/video/2639763/de-grandhomme-run-out-first-ball

Just so you can understand how it’s not even close. 
    De Grandhomme basically set off to run, stopped and was slow back.
    chris78 said:
    https://www.ecb.co.uk/video/2639763/de-grandhomme-run-out-first-ball

Just so you can understand how it’s not even close. 
    De Grandhomme basically set off to run, stopped and was slow back.
    Yes. You are spot on. 

I don't think there is much similarity between both. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Cricket needs to get past this whole "oh it's in the rules but unsporting to claim it" bullshit.

Every single team does this, and every single team whinges and moans like little babies when it happens to them. Get over it. 

If you don't want it as part of the game, change the rule. Until then, play to the rules. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Oh cack.

0-2, and it'll take something extraordinary to win the series from here. 
    Cricket needs to get past this whole "oh it's in the rules but unsporting to claim it" bullshit.

Every single team does this, and every single team whinges and moans like little babies when it happens to them. Get over it. 

If you don't want it as part of the game, change the rule. Until then, play to the rules. 

That says more about you than it does about cricket.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bizarre test match. At times some truly awful moments of cricket, with some great moments of quality, in particular Stokes. 
    edited July 2023
    scrumhalf said:
    Oh cack.

Yep, Stokes heroics will count for nothing of the Urn goes back to Oz. Maybe, just maybe, a little more patience and thought in the situations of the first innings next time

Hattigol said:

That says more about you than it does about cricket.
    Lol, cry some more  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    scrumhalf said:
    Oh cack.

Yep, Stokes heroics will count for nothing of the Urn goes back to Oz. Maybe, just maybe, a little more patience and thought in the situations of the first innings next time

There won't be a next time.  We aren't winning from 2-0 down.  This series is gone already.   I can't see any way Stokes's knee lasts until the next Ashes series.

Winning at all costs certainly isn’t what I teach my kids.
    I hope cricket doesn’t turn into football where cheating is part of the game with players being taught how to con the referee at a young age.
    chris78 said:

I hope cricket doesn’t turn into football where cheating is part of the game with players being taught how to con the referee at a young age.
    Agreed. But I think all that matters to some is winning.

And of course, trolling  =)
    edited July 2023
    chris78 said:

If the spirit of cricket is so important why even bother with umpires?

Its almost as if theres a huge gulf between professional sportsmen playing elite sport and children playing a game for fun. 

Honestly the whining from England today is unreal. Broad pretending like 2013 didn't happen. McCullum pretending that his Murali/Sangakarra runout didn't happen. Bunch of whining little children.