Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited June 2023
    Interesting match. At the moment Team Australia is favoured, but Team Joe Root (and A Few Others) should not be counted out just yet. 

Seriously, how good is that man? Currently ranked the #1 batsman in the world, and standing in as England's #1 strike bowler. What's he going to do next, pull the gloves on and show Johnny Bairstow how to hold a sharp one on the leg side?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    It's wet here in London at the moment.  Wouldn't surprise me if there is a delayed start.

Cloudy and a new ball that's only 2 overs hold hopefully means we can roll the Aussie tail cheaply today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    It's wet here in London at the moment.  Wouldn't surprise me if there is a delayed start.

Cloudy and a new ball that's only 2 overs hold hopefully means we can roll the Aussie tail cheaply today.
    Weather looks okay for the rest of the day and over the weekend 

No wicket for Anderson but he sure is mean over his economy - 15 overs and 29 runs - Stokes went for 21 runs off 3 overs
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    As Paul McCartney sang "I have to admit it's getting better..."

A much better day for England, getting a score will be key, bat on lads.

But not take on the short ball when the fielders are all on the boundary! Use your noddle, Nathan Lyon is off injured so ride the short balls out and wait for the bowlers to tire, then let the good balls come to you. England gifted those wickets to the Aussies. 

Does Bazball mean you you just swing for the rafters and don't bother using your loaf and reading the room?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    3 of them out to the short ball.  Root gloved another one that was a no ball, and Brook has beeb dropped off a pull shot as well.  Utterly brainless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    1st session today could well be crucial to the outcome of this game - 1st innings lead or deficit

Any update on Nathan ?

Looks like cloudy conditions for most/all of today 
    Calf injuries usually take an age to heal. Think months, not weeks. They are noted as an "old man's injury" and often herald the end of a career. 

All of a sudden, the result of the series is in play. Todd Murphy is a very promising young offspinner in the mould of Lyon, but only 22 with just 4 tests under his belt. Those are huge shoes to step into. 

Meanwhile for the remainder of this test, Travis Head is a more than handy bowler and will likely be the first called if Cummins wants some spin. Remember also that Steve Smith actually broke into test cricket as a leg spinner who could bat a bit - in his first test he came in at number 8 and made 1 with the bat. He wasn't used as a bowler in the first innings but sent down 21 overs in the second with 5 maidens, and took 3 for 51. The venue? Lords.

tFB Trader
    Tannin said:
    Calf injuries usually take an age to heal. Think months, not weeks. They are noted as an "old man's injury" and often herald the end of a career. 

All of a sudden, the result of the series is in play. Todd Murphy is a very promising young offspinner in the mould of Lyon, but only 22 with just 4 tests under his belt. Those are huge shoes to step into. 

Meanwhile for the remainder of this test, Travis Head is a more than handy bowler and will likely be the first called if Cummins wants some spin. Remember also that Steve Smith actually broke into test cricket as a leg spinner who could bat a bit - in his first test he came in at number 8 and made 1 with the bat. He wasn't used as a bowler in the first innings but sent down 21 overs in the second with 5 maidens, and took 3 for 51. The venue? Lords.

Yes I forgot Smith could bowl a bit - We obviously see more of Joe turning his arm

Seen the pic of him turning up today on crutches and a light wrapping around his calf - Apparently the Aussies are making a statement shortly
    Not sure Bazball works if you can't cope with the short ball against fast bowling.  Although batting in general doesn't work if you can't cope with the short ball.

Our batsmen are going to get peppered with short balls after this, so they had better learn to deal with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Bazbollocks.

This is the Ashes, play properly. 
    We are going to lose 5-0 if we carry on playing this brainlessly.  For all that they say they want to entertain, people are not going to be entertained by losing - except the Aussies.

Entertainment isn't necessarily about fast scoring either.   The 4th test in 2005 was a classic, with Giles and Hoggard seeing England home.  They crawled towards the target, but you couldn't take your eyes off of the screen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    No issue with playing aggressive cricket. They got themselves to 188/1 at 5 an over by playing aggressively and at that stage, they're in control.
    Aggressive cricket though isn't about trying to hit bouncers that aren't there. That's dumb cricket, especially with Lyon off. All they had to do (and they briefly did it at Edgbaston) was understand the situation, leave the bouncers alone, the Aussies get bored bowling them and they could have gone back to thumping them.
    I could understand Pope taking it on. When he gets out, Duckett has to not take it on. When Duckett also gets out, no way should Root & Brook be taking the short ball on. Absolutely brainless.
    Even if they win from here by bowling the Aussies out cheaply and chasing, I still think thats one of the dumbest spells I've ever seen watching English cricket since 1990.
    tFB Trader
    maybe last summer and the winter tours have given us a false sense of how good bazball is - And I'm more in favour of it than not - But at times you need to read the moment and yesterday that one hour of madness was one such example - ride out the storm of bouncers - ignore them - The Aussies will soon get tired or board then go back to Bazball - That session may well have have cost us this match
    maybe last summer and the winter tours have given us a false sense of how good bazball is - And I'm more in favour of it than not - But at times you need to read the moment and yesterday that one hour of madness was one such example - ride out the storm of bouncers - ignore them - The Aussies will soon get tired or board then go back to Bazball - That session may well have have cost us this match

There is a risk / reward balance.  If the field is up and you have slips in, then taking on the short ball is relatively low risk.   When there are 3 fielders back for it, it's very high risk.

Going for lofted shots when the field is up is high reward for relatively low risk.  You are likely to get a boundary, and even if you mistime it a bit, you should clear the infield.  When the fielders are out, the reward isn't the same for the level of risk.  Most of the time you are only going to get one instead of a boundary, and there is a much higher risk of holing out.

By all means play positively and manipulate the field, but this stupidity is difficult to believe.
    edited June 2023
    Says it all:

Pity he's not still on TMS.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    crunchman said:
    Says it all:

Pity he's not still on TMS.
    Oh God, can you imagine him with Aggers encouraging him to share his thoughts? It would be hilarious!

There should be a new global emoji, The Geoffrey Boycott Facepalm

if England do go down 0-5, and if they continue like this, they may well do, it will be interesting to see if the approach, bravado rhetoric and language coming from Stokes and the players changes.

I still prefer TMS to the TV coverage but I certainly miss the likes of Fiery in the commentary box, Blowers and going back further CMJ. Ali Mitchell is excellent, some of the newer ones less so. I always think Michael Vaughan is a poor man’s Boycs.
    I miss Drew Morphett and Peter Roebuck: two of the greats. Agree about Ali Mitchell.

tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    I still prefer TMS to the TV coverage but I certainly miss the likes of Fiery in the commentary box, Blowers and going back further CMJ. Ali Mitchell is excellent, some of the newer ones less so. I always think Michael Vaughan is a poor man’s Boycs.
    TMS is summer - I suppose winter now as well when the tours are on - I dare say like many, I don't have time to watch on Sky a whole days play - But TMS is on from 10.30 'till the end 
    tFB Trader
    Is it safe to assume 2-0 down with 3 to play - I'm at Headingley on Thursday - I'll enjoy the day but somehow even now it feels a touch deflated 

Have the Aussies ever won all test matches on an English tour  - I know they won 4 out of 6 in 1989 - 2 drawn - so close to a white wash
    edited July 2023
    Oh dear. 257 needed, 6 wickets in hand. That's a low ODI score and easily do-able in a day but against this Aussie bowling lineup? Hmmm…could be a last few overs thriller…?

tFB Trader
    Hard to agree with that Starc catch - By the sounds of things, to the letter of the law, it was the correct decision - I thought Smith's catch to Root in the 1st innings was a touch dubious  
    I cringed watching the replay of the Starc decision.
    Yes it’s touched the ground but with the ball in hand and under control. Shocker for me
    edited July 2023
    Bairstow stumping - unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of the game. He marked his crease to confirm he was in.

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Bairstow stumping - unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of the game. He marked his crease to confirm he was in.
    Aye, I actually expected the Aussies to remove their appeal. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Stupid by Bairstow though. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    munckee said:
    Yep. 

For me it was karma for yesterday's controversial decision. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    munckee said:
    Yep. 

For me it was karma for yesterday's controversial decision. 
    I thought yesterday was the right call as was todays. Stokes playing a blinder but too big a hill I think. 
    Well that reply by Stokes and the Lords crowd was exceptional, echoes of Headingley 2019. I dare not dream we can get across the line, and the lunch break will possibly dissipate the momentum Stokes has, but, win or lose that brief period has fulfilled me and this has been another thrilling and redeeming test match.