Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Hattigol said:
    chris78 said:
    Cricket needs to get past this whole "oh it's in the rules but unsporting to claim it" bullshit.

Every single team does this, and every single team whinges and moans like little babies when it happens to them. Get over it. 

If you don't want it as part of the game, change the rule. Until then, play to the rules. 

Winning at all costs certainly isn’t what I teach my kids.
    I hope cricket doesn’t turn into football where cheating is part of the game with players being taught how to con the referee at a young age.
    Agreed. But I think all that matters to some is winning.

And of course, trolling  =)
    Hate to tell you, but just because your team got pumped (again) it doesn't mean I'm trolling ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:
    Cricket needs to get past this whole "oh it's in the rules but unsporting to claim it" bullshit.

Every single team does this, and every single team whinges and moans like little babies when it happens to them. Get over it. 

If you don't want it as part of the game, change the rule. Until then, play to the rules. 

I hope cricket doesn’t turn into football where cheating is part of the game with players being taught how to con the referee at a young age.
    Just out of interest, yesterday when you described the Starc catch as a "shocking" decision - should the English batsman have walked?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    chris78 said:

Just out of interest, yesterday when you described the Starc catch as a "shocking" decision - should the English batsman have walked?
    He did!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    S56035 said:
    chris78 said:

He did!
    He started walking, but didn't leave the field and returned to the crease after a "shocking" (cf Chris78) decision from the umpires.

I'm interested in how this completely arbitrary application of "the spirit of cricket" is meant to work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    I am sure one of those three Lions on England's cap is called 'Ben'.

No doubt about it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Hattigol said:
    chris78 said:

Hate to tell you, but just because your team got pumped (again) it doesn't mean I'm trolling ;-)
    Which part of Scotland are you from?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    chris78 said:

The part where not being English or Australian means I get to watch the Ashes as a neutral and not through a myopic lens. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    edited July 2023
    chris78 said:

He did walk
    He was called back by the umpires. 
    Try again.

Understand you trying to score some cheap points though. Scotland are awful at everything so I guess taking pleasure in others losing is the best you’re going to get?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    If the  better side wins then they deserve to walk with the heads held high - But when their morals come from the gutter, then they should walk with their heads in shame, looking at the gutter

Notice Bairstow never said a word to any Aussie when they all shock hands after the match - Personally I would not have shook hands - A hand shake and a message of 'well done' at the end of the match, to the opposition, is something you should mean - It you don't mean it then don't do it

Technically Bairstow was out and I don't think anyone has an issue with that - But the reason to throw the ball at the stumps was out of context with the situation - No one was trying to gain any advantage - Going for a stumping when the player has charged down the wicket and missed the ball - ie Root to Lyon in the first match, is part of the game - How many players and indeed umpires, at all levels, kind of walk, at the end of the over, when the ball goes 'dead' to the keeper - At least assumed dead - How many square leg umpires have already started their stroll back to the wicket in such a situation where the ball is 'dead' - I know legally it is obviously not dead - But the Aussies stepped over the line as far as morals go - Yes in part as a response to the Scarc's issue yesterday - But that was an umpires call - Today was sleazy and from the gutter

McCallum said they'd be no beers with the Aussies today - I'm at Headingley on Thursday and I dare say the Western Terrace will already be warming up 

Will be interesting to see if any of our bowlers/close fielders, do that 'attempt to throw at the stumps' at the end of a delivery, when the batsman just plays the ball dead and maybe 1/2 a foot out of their crease  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:

He did walk
    He was called back by the umpires. 
    Try again.

Understand you trying to score some cheap points though. Scotland are awful at everything so I guess taking pleasure in others losing is the best you’re going to get?
    Imagine being so upset at losing a cricket game that you result to taking cheap personal shots at a stranger on the internet. 

I do hope you aren't teaching your children this lesson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 games of cricket regardless of result. 

It’s not cheap to point out Scotland aren’t very good- they aren’t. Six nations- nope never. Football World Cup- think you qualified once maybe? Cricket- to be fair, you beat the windes yesterday. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:

It’s not cheap to point out Scotland aren’t very good- they aren’t. Six nations- nope never. Football World Cup- think you qualified once maybe? Cricket- to be fair, you beat the windes yesterday. 
    Its really not healthy to tie this much of your self worth into the success of sports teams, Chris. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    chris78 said:

Qualified once lol 
    do some reading before you spout shite

8 times
    granted we never got past first round but we still qualified 8 times. 
    edited July 2023
    chris78 said:

Qualified once lol 
    do some reading before you spout shite

8 times
    granted we never got past first round but we still qualified 8 times. 
    Don't rise to it. 

He's just having a tantrum because some men did throwing, catching and hitting better than some other men did throwing, catching and hitting. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    munckee said:
    If we had any decent openers we’d be 2-0 up by now.  
    Errr Duckett got something like 180 runs this test ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    chris78 said:

The part where not being English or Australian means I get to watch the Ashes as a neutral and not through a myopic lens. 

I don't think there is a Scotsman alive who is neutral about anything regarding England.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    chris78 said:

I don't think there is a Scotsman alive who is neutral about anything regarding England.
    Then you clearly know very little about Scotsmen. 

Lots of Scottish cricket fans actually support England at Test Cricket. 

Hopefully one day the ICC decides to do away with the corrupt nature of international cricket (where the game is run for the benefit of two or three countries and no one else) so that the game actually expands a bit. 

Sadly, the likes of India, Australia and England are all too self interested to do anything that threatens their hegemony. 

Can't believe that Cummins had this to say after the game.

"We've been accused of all sorts, but those things aren't remembered - it's winning the series that will be remembered," he said.

"We do have a win-at-all-costs mentality. I think we're quite an unpleasant team to play against at the moment.

"Teams won't play against us and enjoy the experience. That's what we want." 

Oh, wait. That's because it was Stuart Broad who said that! What a turn up for the books!  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    sev112 said:
    munckee said:
    If we had any decent openers we’d be 2-0 up by now.  
    Errr Duckett got something like 180 runs this test ?
    True I meant none of the three openers have a century in two tests but Duckett did score well this test. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    crunchman said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    chris78 said:

Then you clearly know very little about Scotsmen. 

Lots of Scottish cricket fans actually support England at Test Cricket. 

Hopefully one day the ICC decides to do away with the corrupt nature of international cricket (where the game is run for the benefit of two or three countries and no one else) so that the game actually expands a bit. 

Sadly, the likes of India, Australia and England are all too self interested to do anything that threatens their hegemony. 

Your neutrality shines through like a ray of sunshine. Good for you  :)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Cummins less happy when the controversial dismissal happens to his team:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/mankad-dismissal-a-bad-look-says-cummins/b1b36957-327e-4e28-9b64-aa98e6060e86

"I wouldn't want to win a game like that," Australian quick Cummins said in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday.

"It didn't really sit well with me ... it was a pretty bad look.

"If a batsman is trying to steal a run you can kind of understand but I didn't think Jos was doing anything untoward."
    Stuckfast said:
    Cummins less happy when the controversial dismissal happens to his team:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/mankad-dismissal-a-bad-look-says-cummins/b1b36957-327e-4e28-9b64-aa98e6060e86

"I wouldn't want to win a game like that," Australian quick Cummins said in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday.

"It didn't really sit well with me ... it was a pretty bad look.

"If a batsman is trying to steal a run you can kind of understand but I didn't think Jos was doing anything untoward."
    They *all* whine like babies when it happens to them but are happy to do it themselves. Its pathetic. 

This is why I want cricket to accept that elite professional sport is not the kind of place where you can have a completely arbitrary and open-to-interpretation code of when it is and isn't ok to apply the rules. Its impossible.

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    The guy who threw the ball decided to do so, and indeed the ball had already left his hand, before the bloke holding the wooden stick had started to move away from the line. I thought it was brilliantly predicted and executed.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    Ashes: This is a perfect storm.

Aus pissed re Starc
    YJB trying to strut.
    He takes piss by not at least checking with AC
    AC takes piss back by running him out.
    Tough titty.

Eng need to use this to energise their emotions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited July 2023
    Bairstow tried to get Marnus Labuschagne out the same way just two days ago, and now he is now sooking about it.

His coach McCallum twice got players out that way in tests, and now he's having a big sook.

England keeper Ben Foakes did it to Andy Balbirnie.

And any side with Chris Broad in it has no right to ever feel hard done by or crap on about "the spirit of the game".

Load of bloody wankers. Can't play good enough cricket so they make up excuses. 

No respect. Bring back India.

Tannin said:
    Bairstow tried to get Marnus Labuschagne out the same way just two days ago, and now he is now sooking about it.

His coach McCallum twice got players out that way in tests, and now he's having a big sook.

England keeper Ben Foakes did it to Andy Balbirnie.

And any side with Chris Broad in it has no right to ever feel hard done by or crap on about "the spirit of the game".

Load of bloody wankers. Can't play good enough cricket so they make up excuses. 

No respect. Bring back India.

You clearly didn't see Stokes' innings.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    A bit of controversy in The Ashes, it's all part of makes this such a fantastic spectacle and adds to the pantomime drama.

It's done, England are 0-2 down, those cheap wickets in the first innings contributed to that regardless of the drama of that final innings. Stokes innings was incredible, the gutsy 6s and the way he was controlling the whole field and deciding when to put Broad on strike and getting the Aussies to bowl like T20 or ODI will be my enduring memory.

On to Leeds with a mountain to climb, history and stats are against England, but if any team can rip up the stats it is this one.

Honestly, I hope but don't expect England to win 3-2 but I do look forward the remaining Tests and hope for more exciting moments like yesterday.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    We are far more likely to lose 5-0 than win 3-2.

Crawley has a loose technique so he goes on the attack because he can't defend.  That's not the way to build a big innings - the daddy hundreds that Gooch used to talk about.

Brook looks to have been found out against the short ball.  Then he's paranoid about the short ball and doesn't get foward when he should - hence the second innings dismissal.  If he's forward there, then even it he doesn't hit the ball, his pad will be outside the line of off.

Bairstow is an accident waiting to happen behind the stumps.  He didn't drop any in this last match, but he gave away several poor byes.  He'll miss more chances at some point in the series.  If Pope is out because of his shoulder, they should bring in Foakes, but they will probably go with Lawrence.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    It's a long and hazardous road back to 2-2 with 1 to play, that's for sure.