Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Friday humour - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Friday humour

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sorry AK99, I was being flippant. 

Serious question, much of comedy/ humour is dependent on misunderstanding or on difference of perception, so how in the 21st century should that be conveyed without giving offence? Clearly it is now unacceptable to imply that those of one ethnicity/ race/ nationality or religion, gender or of certain physical characteristics are inherently less intelligent or more prone to misunderstanding or errors of perception than another so where do we go?

An Englishman, an Englishman and another Englishman walk into a bar...?

I'm genuinely interested. Maybe it needs to be in another thread...?
    I think maybe it does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    edited October 2023
    Is it not up to the paddy to determine if it's racist?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    DesVegas said:
    Without wanting to pull at some very loose threads that hang from that quite absurd post.... No it is not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    Nope, age doesn’t have to correlate with being racist, it’s a mindset. I’m (hopefully) not racist, and I’m 68. I met a couple of 30 something family members earlier today, you couldn’t  meet a bigger pair of bigots. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    sinbaadi said:
    DesVegas said:
    Without wanting to pull at some very loose threads that hang from that quite absurd post.... No it is not.
    Being one of those sort who are in a position to be justifiably offended by that joke, I have to admit two things:

1.  I didn’t notice the Paddy reference until it was pointed out.
    2.  This may be because I quickly identified the joke as being unfunny and skimmed past it.

I’ve  heard (and told) a vast quantity of Irishmen jokes, and I don’t mind them.  As long as they’re actually funny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    59 here, and I agree with you.  I've temporarily stopped following the thread until it (hopefully) gets back to normal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I used to like this thread, but following a string of unfunny and frankly misogynistic limericks, followed by a Paddy joke, I think I'll give it a miss for a while. There are obviously a few on here whose attitudes need some updating. Probably a reflection of the age profile of members, I suppose. 

I'm 57 by the way.
    When I joined this forum I got the impression that the bulk of members are old(er), white men, and I expected to see a fair amount of casual - even if only unconscious - racism, sexism etc. But for the most part there's very little bigotry here, and when it does occur members are quick to call it out.

Maybe that says something about my own prejudices. Unfortunately my perception has been skewed a bit by the sort of men I encounter through work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    I posted a ukulele/ Black Sabbath joke . Was that ok?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Is the "tree fellers" joke OK?
    Asking for a friend...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    The "Paddy" joke is funny not because it is making fun of Irishmen, it is because it is making fun of the stereotype that the Irish as stupid, and the people that believe that. 

Clearly Irish people don't have a monopoly on being stupid. We all have a damn good go at that from time to time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited October 2023
    Adey said:
    The "Paddy" joke is funny not because it is making fun of Irishmen, it is because it is making fun of the stereotype that the Irish as stupid, and the people that believe that. 

Is it?

How can you possibly know the original intent of the joke.

Both Stewart Lee and Jim Davidson could tell the same joke.Only one of them would be making fun of the stereotype and the people who believe it and it wouldn't be Jim Davidson. 
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    edited October 2023
    AK99 said:
    Poboy said:
    Shrews said:
    Bluddy stoopid micks.
    Hard to tell whether that's a p1ss poor attempt at irony, or something of a different nature altogether.
    Hard to tell if this a piss poor attempt at understanding irony or self aggrandizing attention seeking. Not sure which horse to back there to be honest.

Of course it's irony and is a reference to the xenophobic 'joke' itself and a similar comment on another recent thread (involving the guitar player from Motley Crue). There has been a spate of these racist/xenophobic/misogynistic type posts here in the last few weeks. Seems some people still have rather archaic and unpleasant attitudes.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Kilgore said:
    Adey said:

Is it?

How can you possibly know the original intent of the joke.

Both Stewart Lee and Jim Davidson could tell the same joke.Only one of them would be making fun of the stereotype and the people who believe it and it wouldn't be Jim Davidson. 
    Agreed. Unfunny 1970’s BS. The world has moved on from that a long time ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    FFS,

The joke is about a play on words.  Ringsting, Ring Sting. Geddit?

It could have used the word 'husband' and it would be just as funny 

Husband tells his wife "My bumhole is really burning, I've no idea what it is?"
    "Ringsting" his wife says
    Husband replies "How the fuck will he know"

To me that's the bit that's funny. I suppose it `could be` seen by some that the name Paddy links to the the thick Irish stereotype, but that's not what made me laugh. Actually it doesn't even imply the guy is thick, just that he got his words muddled.

- Nothing derogatory about race
    - No implication the bloke is even 'thick'

FFS the world is miserable enough as it is without this bullshit. One reason for that is people have lost the confidence to talk to each other in fear they might say something where somebody takes offence. Nobody will tell jokes in the future unless they are sanitised and approved by some sour, boring, snowflake unit probably full of small men with small cocks suffering from little man syndrome. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Please can we stop this debate and start posting funnies again.

Here's one:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    ^ Mrs Tannin needs some bricks!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Individual duvets for the win.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    edited October 2023
    crunchman said:
    Please can we stop this debate and start posting funnies again.

Here's one:

That's disgracefully racist, the white woman is clearly subjugating the dark skinned man by attempting to monopolise the duvet.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Sporky said:
    Individual duvets for the win.
    No - that's a vile European habit.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited October 2023
    Although it's clearly based on a racist trope, I like to think that Patrick himself was making a funny joke within the joke, hence his intelligence is demonstrated. Also, assuming that Patrick actually has Sting's phone number is funny. 

Don't you just love Postmodernism?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Oh FFS. Jokes please. No other shit.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    Poboy said:
    AK99 said:
    Poboy said:
    Shrews said:
    Bluddy stoopid micks.
    Hard to tell whether that's a p1ss poor attempt at irony, or something of a different nature altogether.
    Hard to tell if this a piss poor attempt at understanding irony or self aggrandizing attention seeking. Not sure which horse to back there to be honest.

Of course it's irony and is a reference to the xenophobic 'joke' itself and a similar comment on another recent thread (involving the guitar player from Motley Crue). There has been a spate of these racist/xenophobic/misogynistic type posts here in the last few weeks. Seems some people still have rather archaic and unpleasant attitudes.
    Thanks Poboy. I'm guilty of misinterpreting your response more than anything else. Apologies for that.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199

A married couple have just finished celebrating their twentieth wedding anniversary and are heading up to bed for some twentieth anniversary maritals.

On the way up the stairs the woman glances at the pictures of their children and thinks about how much she loves her life. Once they get to the bedroom the man turns off the light and they get down to business.

Mid-coitus the woman realizes that in the twenty years she's been married (and the four they dated) she has never seen her husband fully naked. Perplexed by her realization, she uses a lull in the ploughing to turn the lamp on.

Click!

The man is wearing a strap-on dildo. The two freeze, sharing a strangely intimate moment of shock and confusion. Finally the man clears his throat.

"I'll explain the toy if you explain our kids."

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Shrews said:
    FFS,

The joke is about a play on words.  Ringsting, Ring Sting. Geddit?

Yes Shrews, we got it.  I’m afraid it just wasn’t a funny joke. 
    It could have used the word 'husband' and it would be just as funny 

That’s completely true.  You could substitute any word you like in place of Paddy, and it’s still a shit joke.  Sorry Shrews, they can’t all be zingers.

Anyway, here’s a joke especially for guitarists.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Yep… the Earth needs to be at the centre.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    With their ailing mother needing constant medical supervision, a family decided to bring her to a very expensive and caring nursing home for a day to try it out. The next morning, the nurses bathed her, fed her a tasty breakfast, and set her in a chair at a window overlooking a lovely flower garden. She seemed okay but after a while she slowly started to lean over sideways in her chair. Two attentive nurses immediately rushed up to catch her and straighten her out. Again, she seemed okay but after a while she started to tilt to the other side. The nurses rushed back and once more brought her back upright. This went on all morning, with the dedicated nurses making sure the old woman didn't fall. Later, the family arrived to see how she was adjusting to her new home. "So Ma, how is it here? Are they treating you all right?" they asked. "It’s very nice," she replied. "Except they won’t let you fart."

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    I've just quit my new job as a postman.
    They gave me my first letter to deliver, I looked at the address and thought......
    'this isn't for me'
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter