Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    hyperben said:
    pmg said:
    So we’re all in agreement that despite Gibson’s dubious online QC reputation/variability the custom shop is consistently good (as it should be?).  Happy days.
    It’s their pricing that sucks - partly through exchange rate and tax but mostly because their prices suck. 

At this price, it’s a good guitar for the right money
    And perhaps their pricing is the reason there are/were 300 unsold 2017 R8s in a warehouse in Europe...
    Or they made too many. 

I suspect from now on they'll make less, not sell cheaper .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Indeed, initial stickiness wears off pretty quickly. Anyone else had a little colour bleed into the binding?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    edited August 2018
    If only these were R7’s at a similar discount I’d have probably joined the feeding frenzy. 

Enjoy your new guitars gents!
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Lemon Pledge?  Seriously @peachguitarsdotcom ;

Will give it some proper playing time over the next few days and see what happens.

No matter what though, Peach are officially now my favourite retailer ;-)
  • dbphoto said:

Will give it some proper playing time over the next few days and see what happens.

Yup, that’s what John Suhr told me to use 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2018
    dbphoto said:
    Lemon Pledge?  Seriously @peachguitarsdotcom ;;

What would he know :-)
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    edited August 2018
    johnl said:
    Indeed, initial stickiness wears off pretty quickly. Anyone else had a little colour bleed into the binding?
    That’s the aniline dye.  It’s normal and (I think) desirable?? There’s a lot of it on my SG.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    dbphoto said:
    Lemon Pledge?  Seriously @peachguitarsdotcom ;;

Is that just for the lemon top one?

Lipton's on the ice tea model and cherry Bakewell for the cherry burst? 
    ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    dbphoto said:

It's vulgar to name drop, Elton John told me that at the queen's birthday bash
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1113
    edited August 2018
    ^^ correct on the aniline dye

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Doesn't Pledge contain silicone?  I'm sure I've read that it was a bad idea to use it on guitars, especially nitro, although I confess I don't remember the details...
  • roberty said:
    dbphoto said:

What would he know
    I thought he was talking bol%^*s as well but try it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    Doesn't Pledge contain silicone?  I'm sure I've read that it was a bad idea to use it on guitars, especially nitro, although I confess I don't remember the details...
    Not sure but it’s one spray on a duster and then a quick wipe down. We were talking about my own nitro finished Suhr 
    ^^ correct on the aniline dye

Cheers @andrewaward ;
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    LuttiS said:
    I don't like Les Pauls. 

But after 41 pages of this.. those lemon ones... I feel.. all dirty.. 
    ..and used?

Fuck, I LOVE that feeling :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m getting back to my gin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphoto said:
    terada said:
    dbphoto said:
    This is my R8.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This looks so good. How does it sound? And what was the weight?
    Sounds bloody lovely and it’s one of the heavier ones at 9lb 5oz according to Peach.

But, and this is potentially a big but, I’m not sure I can live with the finish on the back of the neck.

I’m used to a gloss finish (although prefer satin or even better, unfinished), but this at the moment is feeling sticky as hell.
    Get some sandpaper on it. That'll sort it right out. Wiz me later.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Anyone mention sustain yet?

Bloody hell.  Even unplugged it just keeps singing.

And I’m so used to Elixir Nanowebs that whatever strings are on it feel weird, but even so, damn it’s good.
    I’m getting back to my gin
    You’re on holiday -get back to it!  As long as I’m atop of the list for a lightweight dirty lemon al, is good!
    dbphoto said:

And I’m so used to Elixir Nanowebs that whatever strings are on it feel weird, but even so, damn it’s good.
    Yes.  Superb.  I string with elixir 11s
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    dbphoto said:
    terada said:
    dbphoto said:
    This is my R8.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This looks so good. How does it sound? And what was the weight?
    Sounds bloody lovely and it’s one of the heavier ones at 9lb 5oz according to Peach.

But, and this is potentially a big but, I’m not sure I can live with the finish on the back of the neck.

I’m used to a gloss finish (although prefer satin or even better, unfinished), but this at the moment is feeling sticky as hell.
    It’ll wear down with some play time, it’s just a good old fashioned nitro finish. If you really don’t like it, I’ll give you £1500
    dbphoto said:

I can hear the sustain from here
    Sustain is amazing; action is also incredible. Not sure how much of that is a function of a good setup and how much is neck angle etc. but I've never played anything with a lower, smoother action.
  • Are there 10s on it? (Stupid question?)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    edited August 2018
    johnl said:
    Sustain is amazing; action is also incredible. Not sure how much of that is a function of a good setup and how much is neck angle etc. but I've never played anything with a lower, smoother action.
    I think that's to do with the plek job at the factory. All my factory plek'd Gibsons have had supernaturally low action
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    johnl said:
    I think this is completely normal
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1013
    I've had a few VOS finished Les Paul's. Love it on the hardware but not on the finish. I used D'Addario 3 point restorer and it'll polish it up to a gloss.
    edited August 2018
    I like Vos finish.  I’ve also been very impressed with the journeyman relic fender finish
  • Over the last few years Gibson seem to have turned into DFS. Who in their right mind would pay full ticket price for a sofa now?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's a fair point. I was trying to think earlier what Gibson could make that would tempt me to buy anything else from them in the next few years - certainly nothing Les Paul shaped unless it was a three pickup black beauty custom for about the same price as these.....