Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Can’t be arsed to read back..... Are there any more Dirty Lemons arriving this week? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    tone1 said:
    Can’t be arsed to read back..... Are there any more Dirty Lemons arriving this week? 
    Can’t be arsed to tell you
    20reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Are there 10s on it? (Stupid question?)
    Yes, according the the little check list card from Peach.

and as a nice touch Peach included a bottle of Dunlop 65 cleaner-polish and cloth!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    tone1 said:
    no.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 143

Well I succumbed, a cherry from GG (who were great by the way)

The set up was pretty good out of the box but a little too much relief. So I reach for my trusty Gibson truss rod wrench and it’s too small?

I thought all Gibson’s were 5/16 but the nut on mine is 11/32. It adjusted fine so all good but thought it a little strange. Anyone else noticed this?

Guitar is an absolute beast though!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231

The set up was pretty good out of the box but a little too much relief. So I reach for my trusty Gibson truss rod wrench and it’s too small?

I thought all Gibson’s were 5/16 but the nut on mine is 11/32. It adjusted fine so all good but thought it a little strange. Anyone else noticed this?

Mine needed loosening a smidge. I used a Gibson truss tool from another guitar, same size
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Any buyers remorse yet? C’mon,someone’s got to be secretly regretting it. ‘Fess up!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Any buyers remorse yet? C’mon,someone’s got to be secretly regretting it. ‘Fess up!
    Nope, I've been trying to force myself to have buyers remorse (if it's going to happen better to happen whilst I can still send it back) but it's just so bloody nice to play.....
    johnl said:
    Any buyers remorse yet? C’mon,someone’s got to be secretly regretting it. ‘Fess up!
    Nope, I've been trying to force myself to have buyers remorse (if it's going to happen better to happen whilst I can still send it back) but it's just so bloody nice to play.....
    The only remorse I have is in recognising that these have always been available to me second hand at a similar sort of price. What have I been doing with my life?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1273
    I do have one slight niggle with historic spec on these...pickup ring heights. It transpires that I pick directly above the back of the neck pickup ring. The strings in this location aren't much higher than the ring itself, with the pickup cover actually slightly lower than the ring. My action isn't super low either. I therefore have to adjust where I pick to avoid hitting the neck pickup ring. 

Newer production model Les Pauls have lower pickup ring heights.  Given the historic spec of the parts, using modern replacements would have a visual impact presumably. I have read some internet wisdom about sanding the pickup rings down but I'm reluctant to do that.

Anyone else noticed this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Yeah! Come on, make us R8-less ones feel better! Please? Anyone? 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Any arrivals due today?!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2018

Boromedic said: The average weight of 59 bursts is between 8.9 and 8.12 lbs. 
    I think you mean 8lb 9oz and 8lb 12oz! 
    Indeed! Edited, what can I say, school messed me up! They taught me metric in an imperial world all those years ago (album title for someone there), I still get confused to this day.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited August 2018
    I’ve just been watching from the sidelines this whole time, but this is the best thread ever. The sheer number of notifications every time I open the forum is hilarious.

I wish I had the funds and ability to snag one of these, but I just don’t. It’s fantastic reading and seeing these guitars rolling in. Really enjoyed @Ossyrocks video too!
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    Boromedic said:
    Any arrivals due today?!
    Mine - travelling with work today so hoping someone is up to answer the door!
    edited August 2018
    I have a question actually...

How does the VOS finish compare to a non-VOS guitar? I’ve never really understood it. Is it slightly worn, or just the metal parts dulled down a bit? These reissues only seem to be available in VOS, did that put anyone off or is it barely different to a non-VOS model? Do they have marks any like a very light Fender relic or is it just faded down etc?

I understand the various Fender finishes, but I’ve never really understood what Vintage Original Spec (?) means...

RMJ said:
    I do have one slight niggle with historic spec on these...pickup ring heights. It transpires that I pick directly above the back of the neck pickup ring. The strings in this location aren't much higher than the ring itself, with the pickup cover actually slightly lower than the ring. My action isn't super low either. I therefore have to adjust where I pick to avoid hitting the neck pickup ring. 

Newer production model Les Pauls have lower pickup ring heights.  Given the historic spec of the parts, using modern replacements would have a visual impact presumably. I have read some internet wisdom about sanding the pickup rings down but I'm reluctant to do that.

Anyone else noticed this?
    Yep there's not much travel. Took me a few hours to get used to the higher pickguard in particular.

Wouldn't hurt to try the sanding thing:

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/gibson_historic_crme_neck_and_bridge_pickup_ring_set/

On the whole I like the arrangement with the tailpiece screwed down into the body. Although on my Traditional I top wrap and in one band occasionally play behind the bridge, I don't think that's going to work here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    andyp said:

How does the VOS finish compare to a non-VOS guitar? I’ve never really understood it. Is it slightly worn, or just the metal parts dulled down a bit? These reissues only seem to be available in VOS, did that put anyone off or is it barely different to a non-VOS model? Do they have marks any like a very light Fender relic or is it just faded down etc?

I understand the various Fender finishes, but I’ve never really understood what Vintage Original Spec (?) means...

It's a thin nitro that has a sheen to it rather than just being polished and shiny like a typical brand new non-VOS instrument. Combined with lightly-tarnished hardware it's a very nice finish imo. Not dented like a Fender relic. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers, that sounds like a nice finish option right enough. So it looks old rather than used... I get that. It sounds like it suits the likes of a Les Paul very well. I'm the type of guy that likes my stuff to be well looked after but not necessarily all clean and shiny.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    edited August 2018
    Twinfan said:
    I get that and of course am more than aware of differing financial circumstances.

I appreciate it's all relative but suggest that the average income of a potential GT3 purchaser is probably significantly higher that the peops who purchased these R8's. I could be wrong of course.
    So do GT3 owners not play guitar and frequent forums?

impmann said:
    A 'feeding frenzy' is a good description and I understand the bargain chaser mentality - I genuinely wonder how many would have bought these guitars if the launch price had been £2.5k in the first place and how many have taken a punt thinking they can flog theirs on for more than £2.5k in six months time when the frenzy has died down (if they don't particularly like the instrument).

I get that there was finance available - but its not chicken feed and debt isn't a nice thing. I don't do debt any more - been there, nearly been drowned by it... its not clever.
    I would probably already own one if they'd be £2499 at launch.  I've had my eye open for a good Les Paul for a while but wasn't prepared to pay over £4.5k for one.

As per my other comments, £2.5k might not be chicken feed for you but for other people it's not something that puts them into debt.
    They should try out some watch forums 'eh @Twinfan, £2.5 K is chump change. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Neil said:

Indeed!  The squabbles over brand Rolex models is always good for a laugh - fighting to pay £9k+ for a trinket!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Twinfan said:
    Neil said:

Indeed!  The squabbles over brand Rolex models is always good for a laugh - fighting to pay £9k+ for a trinket!
    I bet the mechanism has a good timbre tho
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    andyp said:
    Cheers, that sounds like a nice finish option right enough. So it looks old rather than used... I get that. It sounds like it suits the likes of a Les Paul very well. I'm the type of guy that likes my stuff to be well looked after but not necessarily all clean and shiny.
    Yeah, it's basically trying to feel like an old one that's been played but is in really good condition. I like it a lot. I haven't bought one of these LPs but did buy a VOS ES-330 last week and the finish is really really nice.

Of course with this thread I'm also lusting at LPs too...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 143
    roberty said:

Mine needed loosening a smidge. I used a Gibson truss tool from another guitar, same size

Ah, ok. So yours is the standard 5/16?

Re the VOS finish, I couldn’t resist giving it a buff with some Gibson polish, shines up in no time for those that prefer that look.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    andyp said:

Essentially, Gibson Historic Les Pauls come in three flavours: VOS, Gloss or Aged.

VOS = Dulled finish and lightly tarnished hardware
    Gloss = High-gloss finish and brand-new hardware
    Aged = A few scratches and chips, tarnished hardware and a lot of lacquer checking

I much prefer the look and feel of VOS over gloss - the gloss guitars just look too pristine. It's interesting that real vintage Les Pauls rarely, if ever, have the dulled down look of a VOS reissue. It's its own thing, but I really like it.

RMJ said:
    This is interesting. A lot people want the ABR to sit as low as possible, for playing comfort and so that the tailpiece can be screwed right down. I've owned and played a bunch of historic Les Pauls with slightly varying neck angles and, personally, I don't think the height of the ABR makes a difference other than possibly in playing comfort.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1273
    Brize said:

RMJ said:
    This is interesting. A lot people want the ABR to sit as low as possible, for playing comfort and so that the tailpiece can be screwed right down. I've owned and played a bunch of historic Les Pauls with slightly varying neck angles and, personally, I don't think the height of the ABR makes a difference other than possibly in playing comfort.
    Nothing to do with the bridge. I'm talking about the height of the pickup rings
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    RMJ said:
    Brize said:

RMJ said:
    Have you checked the neck relief? If you have too much relief the ABR bridge can be set too low and give you pickup ring clearance issues. Had this on a Les Paul I bought off eBay. Tightened the truss rod and raised the bridge. Problem solved.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    It sounds like you just pick quite far forwards, is it uncomfortable to pick further back? I’ve seen people with longer arms pick around there. If you can pick further back it’s not a bad thing in my opinion. The higher tension on the string further back gives a better general tone and the stiffness aids in more controlled picking.
    I realise it’s hard to break old habits though!
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    RMJ said:
    Brize said:

RMJ said:
    Sorry, I mis-read - I thought you were talking about the bridge pickup ring.