Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    johnl said:
    It's a fair point. I was trying to think earlier what Gibson could make that would tempt me to buy anything else from them in the next few years - certainly nothing Les Paul shaped unless it was a three pickup black beauty custom for about the same price as these.....

How about a 3 pickup 335  :)  (£1200 off RRP)

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170823313741008--gibson-es-355-black-beauty-ebony-2018?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_tC1qYeT3QIVhjLTCh2EHwgYEAkYBSABEgIpX_D_BwE

https://i.imgur.com/uQIVN7F.jpg?1

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Rabs said:
    johnl said:
    It's a fair point. I was trying to think earlier what Gibson could make that would tempt me to buy anything else from them in the next few years - certainly nothing Les Paul shaped unless it was a three pickup black beauty custom for about the same price as these.....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170823313741008--gibson-es-355-black-beauty-ebony-2018?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_tC1qYeT3QIVhjLTCh2EHwgYEAkYBSABEgIpX_D_BwE

clearly this thread will only be complete once every fretboarder has been tempted
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Rabs said:
    johnl said:

*splurf*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    I keep looking but a LP never lasts more than a few months before being moved on :(
  • Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    I’m not into these Frankenstein models but I suppose it would be 80-90% of the way towards sympathy for the devil
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

Some plastic fingerboards can be exceptional - better than the finest braz boards
  • pmg said:
    I like Vos finish.  I’ve also been very impressed with the journeyman relic fender finish
    Me too, I've ticked both those boxes recently and couldn't be happier.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Boromedic said:
    I’ve just sent £20. I think this forum is a great place and I’m happy to contribute. 

(Now I’ve just got to find £2.5k for an R8!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

That one's rosewood but I take your point. The new Black Beauties have plastic / paper fingerboards and I'm not sure I'd be too keen for the price. If Schecter can get me a nice ebony board on an £800 guitar why can't Gibson do the same?
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113

They were some cracking guitars. I'm sure we'll be seeing some more soon
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Rabs said:
    johnl said:

I wish I hadn't seen that. Guess it's time to start saving again....
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    edited August 2018
    pmg said:
    I like Vos finish.  I’ve also been very impressed with the journeyman relic fender finish
    Me too, I've ticked both those boxes recently and couldn't be happier.
    And yet if I had to keep oneguitar only it would be my beloved Ric 330.  I must say though I have been blown away by the strat  i have
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    JerkMoans said:
    LuttiS said:
    I don't like Les Pauls. 

But after 41 pages of this.. those lemon ones... I feel.. all dirty.. 
    ..and used?

Fuck, I LOVE that feeling :D
    You know I feel used. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    pmg said:
    dbphoto said:
    I asked many pages ago on this thread but no one answered:

What’s with the obsession of weight!?
    I don’t like heavy guitars 
    Lighter guitars sound and feel better. Surely everyone knows that?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmg said:
    dbphoto said:

Heavier guitars make you more manly and you get more sex. Fact. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    I’m getting back to my gin
    A strategy worthy of Von Clausewitz 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    pmg said:
    dbphoto said:

Heavier guitars make you more manly and you get more sex. Fact. 
    Which is why you are best on air guitar mate
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Serousily though it’s still £3.4K for a mass produced guitar at this *bargain* price.  When they started with the nice Memphis 63 reissues in 2015 they were about £2.3k new. And they didn’t have a plastic fingerboard. 

Some plastic fingerboards can be exceptional - better than the finest braz boards
    Agree that can likely be the case , but I’m sure plastic is cheaper than braz.

Boromedic said: The average weight of 59 bursts is between 8.9 and 8.12 lbs. 
    I think you mean 8lb 9oz and 8lb 12oz!  ;)

Depends on what plastic (obvs) and how hard it is to work.

Phenolic Resin is common on high end fretless basses - it’s relatively cheap but takes a lot of manual work/machine time

Phenolic Resin is common on high end fretless basses - it’s relatively cheap but takes a lot of manual work/machine time
    Come on man, you know bass doesn’t count

No, it’s drummers that don’t count
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793

Totally counts.  Any “modern”material used on a mainstream guitar probably has 20+ years of proven use on bass.  It takes that long for guitarists to notice

anything that’s proven to work on a fretless bass will work brilliantly on a fretted guitar.

but I’m a guitarist, so I still prefer real wood. ;)
    @WezV - you just fear change mate ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Greetings Fretboarders it’s been a while! 

My dirty lemon R8 was delivered to work this afternoon. It stayed in the boot of my car until my wife went out with friends. She can find it on its stand when she stumbles home later on!

This thread is an absolute riot. 

My guitar is absolutely fantastic ! Great acoustic sound and plugged in she just rings.

Kudos to Peach for super service and a great set up out of the box.

l love the Gibson VOS brushed woolly matt satin finish and mildly corroded metal parts. Mine has a few slight marks small scratches in the lacquer here and there which add character. The Gibson VOS is somewhere in between Fender NOS and Fender Journeyman without the chips in my opinion. 

The guitar has the usual Gibson hand finished individual factory touches which could irritate some but nothing worth getting excited over. 

Only played for for an hour or so but I am absolutely delighted. Plays like a dream and sounds superb. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I have done a couple of guitar boards with richlite.  And one of the two  fretless basses I have made had an acrylised be maple fretboard which is essentially the same thing made from real wood rather than paper.

i don’t mind alternatives... but I keep coming back to real wood.
    WezV said:
    I have done a couple of guitar boards with richlite.  And one of the two  fretless basses I have made had an acrylised be maple fretboard which is essentially the same thing made from real wood rather than paper.

I’ve had my eyes opened by the phenolic resin board I have to say...
    WezV said:

At that size it will be more consistent than most sources of ebony could ever offer 
    WezV said:
    WezV said:

At that size it will be more consistent than most sources of ebony could ever offer 
    I did wonder if the size of the board was the reason for the choice of material!