Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    New MBP or R8........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    I've bought mine with cash as I'm saving up to pay off my car loan. Not worth getting the finance for me, the application would reduce my credit score for no real reason and I'd rather keep that high and my search history clear in case I decide to buy a different car.

I have a wife and no kids, a house that's almost owned by us and we both have good jobs. I'm very aware that I'm in a very fortunate position, and it's one that I'm eternally grateful for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You only live once, enjoy it! If you can afford it, go for it, you deserve it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Having bought a new Les Paul BFG a couple of weeks ago, and remembering how much I like Les Pauls having sold my last one over 10 years ago, I was thinking maybe I should have bought a ‘real’ one instead, but the cost of a new Standard didn’t make sense.

At the price these became available, at my upper limit to what I have ever spent on a guitar, I thought to hell with it.

Sure, with a wife, a 5 year old girl and a 1 year old boy, there a probably ‘better’ things to spend the money on but business is good and my wife’s career has taken off in a big way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited August 2018
    I have a friend who owns at least a dozen electric guitars - including a Custom Shop Les Paul he paid well over £3000 for about 10 years ago. He earns from gigging, doesn’t owe much on his house and both him and his wife earn reasonably well. 

He’d probably credit card something like this and worry about how to pay for it afterwards. I don’t mean that critically or judgementally - he’s just not someone who stresses about money - whereas I do. Different strokes for different folks.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I have a friend who owns at least a dozen electric guitars - including a Custom Shop Les Paul he paid well over £3000 for about 10 years ago. He earns from gigging, doesn’t owe much on his house and both him and his wife earn reasonably well. 

He’d probably credit card something like this and worry about how to pay for it afterwards. I don’t mean that critically or judgementally - he’s just not someone who stresses about money - whereas I do. Different strokes for different folks.... 
    Personally I would prefer not to finance something like this, if I am going to put it on a credit card, I want to I have no major expenditures coming up soon and I can pay off the balance in 3 months tops.
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    edited August 2018
    If these were available on 0% finance or whatever its called - even if its only 2.5k why would you get into debt for the sake of a guitar?
    People get into debt for all sorts of items these days...

How many people here have a mobile phone on a monthly contract?

Pay for a gym/golf club subscription monthly?

Have a car on finance or lease?

Pay the house, car insurance policy etc monthly?

I probably wouldn’t do it with these particular guitars personally - but wouldn’t question someone else’s motives to...

If I was buying a high value guitar - I’d take it on 0% finance if it was offered and the cost of the guitar was the same if I paid outright or took the finance, that £2.5k is better left offsetting my mortgage or even in my current account getting a paltry bit of interest.

So you could equally question why not take advantage of buying a guitar on a 0% deal if it makes it affordable
    for you?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    If I could afford to buy the guitar cash but there was a 0% finance option I'd take it. Put the money away and use it to pay off the finance each month. Might get a little bit of interest then as well.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited August 2018
    Worth checking the small print - repayments didn't start until year 2 (20% deposit I think), you could repay in full in the first year with no interest at all, but once the payments kicked in there was a chunk of interest. That was my understanding.

Still, 12 months interest free credit with a get out option ...
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5307
    Everyone does things differently I suppose - I personally like to keep things simple and only buy something if I have my money there and ready to go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2018
    Here it is! Not super lightweight but noticeably lighter than my '16 Traditional.

Sounds very sweet acoustically, and phenomenal plugged in. The tone controls are very useful.

The neck is slightly more square feeling than the traditional but not a million miles away. It reminds me of the vintage Juniors I've played (funny that), but with modern frets

Low serial (37!)

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    roberty said:
    Here it is! Not super lightweight but noticeably lighter than my '16 Traditional.

Sounds very sweet acoustically, and phenomenal plugged in. The tone controls are very useful.

The neck is slightly more square feeling than the traditional but not a million miles away. It reminds me of the vintage Juniors I've played (funny that), but with modern frets

Low serial (37!)

Lovely! More pics please  :)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Emphatically not trying to piss on anyone's chips, not least because I'm in grave danger of succumbing to all the frenzy and tooling off to Stevenage just as soon as the Coda wave hits, but aren't those COA's containing the description 'Standard' likley to cause problems in the event - heaven forfend - of a resale?

'It's an R8'

'Cool - let's see the COA...  It says 'Standard'.  What the heck?'

'Honest mate, this was a special run punted out in 2018.  They put 'Standard' on the certificates 'cos that's what these would have been in 1958.  The guy that decreed it got sacked, actually...'
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited August 2018
    JerkMoans said:
    Emphatically not trying to piss on anyone's chips, not least because I'm in grave danger of succumbing to all the frenzy and tooling off to Stevenage just as soon as the Coda wave hits, but aren't those COA's containing the description 'Standard' likley to cause problems in the event - heaven forfend - of a resale?

'It's an R8'

'Cool - let's see the COA...  It says 'Standard'.  What the heck?'

'Honest mate, this was a special run punted out in 2018.  They put 'Standard' on the certificates 'cos that's what these would have been in 1958.  The guy that decreed it got sacked, actually...'
    There’s enough info elsewhere on the internet to allay problems methinks. About a zillion pages of discussion on other gear forums. 

Not to mention that “R8” is stamped in the control cavity too. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    edited August 2018
    Indeed. It's the way Gibson did it in 2017. It's common knowledge.
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    edited August 2018
    And the serial number is prefixed with an 8.

However, I have taken screen shots of the Peach info for my one for future reference ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    This seems to be turning into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of buying something on interest-free credit.

Simple really. If you're happy to do that, go for it. If not, don't. But don't then get all miffed at the guys who have got a shiny (ok, VOS) guitar in their hands...

Worse case scenario. You keep for 5 years and sell for £2,250. That works out at £50 a year to play and own an R8.

Rearrange the following words if still confused:

Brainer
    No
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    Hattigol said:
    This seems to be turning into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of buying something on interest-free credit.
    Indeed... Let’s see some pics! I’ll post mine up tomorrow  ;)
  • Hattigol said:
    This seems to be turning into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of buying something on interest free credit 
    Jealousy!
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Do we have an ETA on the Coda ones? I've been looking around at other European suppliers but haven't found these prices anywhere else so far...
  • johnl said:
    Do we have an ETA on the Coda ones? I've been looking around at other European suppliers but haven't found these prices anywhere else so far...
    Aren’t peach getting more this week too? 

The ones on the GG sight looked poor but once I’d seen some on here it’s clear that their photography skills are lacking 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited August 2018
    johnl said:

The ones on the GG sight looked poor but once I’d seen some on here it’s clear that their photography skills are lacking 
    Think Peach said that's their lot, there'll be no more from them.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5307
    edited August 2018
    Jealousy? Urm, no - if I’d have wanted one I’d have bought one - I still might if anyone else gets some decent looking ones in at that price. Anyway, enough of this bullshit, more photos from the lucky guys who did get one please
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnl said:

We’re due replacements for the ones that came in with marks on. I think it was around about 8 guitars.
  • johnl said:
    Gibson had around 120 guitars in stock on this deal (58’s anyway) and we were shipped 50 - 8 of them went back though 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    So you sold 42 CS Gibson’s over how many days?  

I appreciate the margins won’t have been what you are used to but bloody hell, job well done!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited August 2018
    johnl said:

We’re due replacements for the ones that came in with marks on. I think it was around about 8 guitars.
    Thats good news for us lot. Any of those left for sale and when do you reckon they'll go on the special limited run page?

Whitecat said:
    There’s enough info elsewhere on the internet to allay problems methinks. About a zillion pages of discussion on other gear forums. 

Not to mention that “R8” is stamped in the control cavity too. 
    Cool.  Thinking back, I believe @MikeS said something similar...  Dopey thing for Gibson to do with the certs., but at these prices, who's really complaining?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • dbphoto said:
    So you sold 42 CS Gibson’s over how many days?  

I appreciate the margins won’t have been what you are used to but bloody hell, job well done!
    The VAT man made more than we did! But i'm glad to see so many have gone to such good homes. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thats good news for us lot. Any of those left for sale and when do you reckon they'll go on the special limited run page?
    ...or the even more special FR8boarder/Peach mailing list/waiting list page? :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer