Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• Be really interested to see if any with two are using this as an opportunity to spin some money later down the line. Good investment opportunity, but I'd be disappointed to see it, personally. Not judging anyone.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited August 2018
    gringopig said:
    I crumbled. Shot out to GuitarGuitar Edinburgh and picked up this:

Quite nice! Sounds very lively.
    That is absolutely awesome! What colour are they calling that? Iced tea?

I don’t have the money or ability to justify £2500 on a guitar, but this is my ideal LP I reckon. Went over to Kirkintilloch yesterday to watch my son’s music school and guitar teacher play an outdoor gig. Did his teacher not have an LP very like one of these... not an R8 and he’s owned it a while, but between this thread and that gig I’m getting real bad GAS for a guitar like this.

What a brilliant thread this has been. So much fun reading it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Be really interested to see if any with two are using this as an opportunity to spin some money later down the line. Good investment opportunity, but I'd be disappointed to see it, personally. Not judging anyone.
    I don't think that's very likely. You might be able to break even with one, but I can't see any appreciation if you sit on it for less than 5 years, and who knows what will happen to the guitar market beyond that.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    A reminder for all these new R8 owners:

Pickguard on!!   

:-)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    gringopig said:
    GuitarGuitar have been absolutely first class with me. In Glasgow,  In Newcastle and especially in Edinburgh, my Friday afternoon visits after work are a highlight!
    The guys in Edinburgh are really good.
    I have also had a top notch experience with Peach. Very impressed.
    Same here, GG have been great for me, especially the edinburgh store but I’ve found their mail order service great too. I have no experience with Peach - I nearly bought an amp off them but they wouldn’t budge on the price...three days later it was on sale for considerably less than I had offered. I found that odd but I can understand that ‘sales’ are different. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    monofin said:

Pickguard on!!   

no.

no.

no.

poker chip off too.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    pmbomb said:
    monofin said:

Pickguard on!!   

no.

no.

no.

poker chip off too.
    You might as well play an ESP or PRS. Heathen!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've been watching this thread but trying not to get involved - although I admit I have looked at the Peach website a few times "just to see what's there"....

I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the FB get so many posts over such a short space of time.  It's like a full-on GAS outbreak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    edited August 2018
    I feel like a created monster starting this thread, although I do think John at Peach owes me a beer or at the very least a free ES355?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been watching this thread but trying not to get involved - although I admit I have looked at the Peach website a few times "just to see what's there"....

I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the FB get so many posts over such a short space of time.  It's like a full-on GAS outbreak.
    As the Americans would say, we're just pouring gas over the fire.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    tomajoha said:
    I feel like a created monster starting this thread, although I do think John at Peach owes me a beer or at the very least a free ES355?
    Or a Ferrari....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Can I ask a money question? I know it's personal... But I'm dying to know if the average person has 2.5k sat for a day like this?

I earn a good salary for my area (although other half isn't working to look after the 2 little ones) so we get by OK, but not exactly thousands spare... 

I could not be further away from having the money for one. Ha

Happy for everyone who has got one for sure! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ps, It's also amazing in the "guitar is dead" climate, so much money has just gone through a guitar store! Happy days! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowen said:
    Can I ask a money question? I know it's personal... But I'm dying to know if the average person has 2.5k sat for a day like this?

I earn a good salary for my area (although other half isn't working to look after the 2 little ones) so we get by OK, but not exactly thousands spare... 

Was thinking the same. Although I expect most of it was done on the drip. They had 12 months interest free, BNPL.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    edited August 2018
    As an addict to guitars and basses, any justification to buy one especially at a great price is hard to shake! £2.5k is definitely a mental barrier for me....I stalled and the ones I wanted sold.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    joeyowen said:
    Ps, It's also amazing in the "guitar is dead" climate, so much money has just gone through a guitar store! Happy days! 
    I think somebody else has already made this point earlier in the thread but, when R8s were in the £2.5k to £3k price bracket and Fender Custom Shops were in the £2.2k range, people were more inclined to buy.

I'm fortunate in that I could afford to spend £3k+ on a Custom Shop Strat or Tele, but I wouldn't. Similarly, I wouldn't spend £4k on a Les Paul R8.

I can't imagine that Peach made much money from this batch of R8s given the price point, but I hope it was a fillip for their bottom line, especially given the money they've invested in their premises. I feel sorry for retailers having to stock guitars at these inflated prices.
  • As an addict to guitars and basses, any justification to buy one especially at a great price is hard to shake! £2.5k is definitely a mental barrier for me....I stalled and the ones I wanted sold.
    Me too. I've spent it before but every time I have I've shit myself.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    joeyowen said:

These were available on 0%.

Even if you did have the money it’s still worth buying on 0%.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 291
    @AndyP - that LP is stunning. Just perfect. I’m not one for the flame and flash, so that top is 10/10.

I didn’t get an R8, despite being in the market for a new axe at the moment.

I’ve found it interesting how people have shot out so much cash too, but different people different money ;) good week for Peach!
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5307
    edited August 2018
    If these were available on 0% finance or whatever its called - even if its only 2.5k why would you get into debt for the sake of a guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited August 2018
    Kitsune said:
    @AndyP - that LP is stunning. Just perfect. I’m not one for the flame and flash, so that top is 10/10.

I’ve found it interesting how people have shot out so much cash too, but different people different money good week for Peach!
    Just to clarify - that’s not my guitar!

I wish it was though and I agree completely on the top / finish.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited August 2018
    Be really interested to see if any with two are using this as an opportunity to spin some money later down the line. Good investment opportunity, but I'd be disappointed to see it, personally. Not judging anyone.
    I don't think that's very likely. You might be able to break even with one, but I can't see any appreciation if you sit on it for less than 5 years, and who knows what will happen to the guitar market beyond that.
    ^^ This. Pretty much all of these R8s seem to have plain tops. A lot of the previous runs of R8s were flametops, and some of them very nice looking indeed. I’m not aware of those older R8s selling easily for more than £2.5k, and flametops will always be worth more than plains in the second hand market.

Still, these 2017 R8s are a good deal at that price, especially when you can choose the weight, from enlightened dealers like Peach who always list an accurate weight! 
  • Philly_Q said:

You are of course forgetting the Amazon 2015 Gibson MY blow out thread (s) 
    If these were available on 0% finance or whatever its called - even if its only 2.5k why would you get into debt for the sake of a guitar?

The 2.5k will earn basic interest in savings (granted, feck all, but it's an old habit for many people) so you make money this way.

Also, if your boiler explodes you still have the money to fix it. Instead of taking a small interest loan for fixing at a higher Apr. 

So part profit, part security.

(I worked in a bank for years, these are the common reasons people give. So many people had eg. 20k in savings, but would take a loan to do the kitchen etc...) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    A few things come to mind with this deal.

Peach had a similar crazy blow out with some AVRI Jaguars 3 years ago and I nabbed one, not because I always hankered for one but because it was a once in a blue moon opportunity to own a no compromise Jag (owning a Squier and saying you’ve done the Jag thing doesn’t really cut it for me). 3 years in I still have it, it’s a great guitar, prob won’t have it for ever but I’ll get my money back when I sell. I almost bought one of these Les Pauls for a similar reason, to tick the no-compromise LP ownership box without losing out on it.

Then there’s the race against time thing that I think some of us feel is coming - high quality guitars are just getting stupid in price. For example new Custom shop Fenders are now coming through more than £3k which I just won’t entertain so snapping up old stock around the £2.5k mark seems like a good deal whilst you can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    Just think of it like saving up a hundred quid a month, only you get the thing at the start instead of at the end.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 291
    andyp said:
    Kitsune said:

I’ve found it interesting how people have shot out so much cash too, but different people different money good week for Peach!
    Just to clarify - that’s not my guitar!

I wish it was though and I agree completely on the top / finish.
    Ah yes! @gringopig - lucky man!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2018
    joeyowen said:

The answer I guess is that for me at least it is not just sitting around, but the combo of the finance, not having kids/dependants to worry about, and gear to sell makes it possible. If my partner and I had kids there'd be no way we'd start buying things like this - priorities right?

As it is, if over a few years the guitar doesn't tick my box and it gets sold for near what I paid, then that is worth it for the years of fun it will bring. This wouldn't be the case for the same item at £3899.

The depreciation/fun cost would be too high.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2008
    I certainly couldn't afford a 12 month interest free loan for £2500 at the moment. I did think about getting one and then selling guitars afterwards, but I'd rather have the money ready from the off. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.