Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Indeed - I think that's what spurred us all into a buying frenzy. New R8s for below the price on secondhand ones. It doesn't hurt that mine is easily the best guitar I've ever played too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    crunchman said:
    roberty said:
    crunchman said:
    Whitecat said:
    Hammer at £2300... to an account with reasonable feedback, so at least he's probably not gonna get scammed, unless the account was hijacked...
    Back to where they were before the blowout then. 
    Pickup only, auction ending Friday morning.  I don't think the seller has done themselves any favours tbh. £2.3k is respectable considering
    I think that's about what I got selling on consigment in a shop a couple of years ago.  That was for an older 2010 one with the "truss rod condom" that isn't quite as desirable.

If it's possible to get £2.3k from Ebay on a pickup only auction, it would probably be possible to get £2.6k in a shop, which is more than people were paying new last year.
    As mentioned a few pages ago, Guitarguitar had one of them and got near to £3k for it... we know they sometimes privately take a bit off, but even if it's only 10% that's £2700, and it sold fairly quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Pickup only can have a drastic effect on price - you're effective restricting your market to a radius of about 50 miles, instead of the whole country and possibly (depending how brave you are!) the rest of the continent or indeed the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    johnl said:
    Indeed - I think that's what spurred us all into a buying frenzy. New R8s for below the price on secondhand ones. It doesn't hurt that mine is easily the best guitar I've ever played too...
    They are almost as liquid as cash. Definitely a low risk investment
    "I bought the guitar in April 2019 brand new from GuitarGuitar for in excess of £4K."

Unlucky, if true.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2019
    I'm having a hard time from an eBay seller at the moment, second bad experience in the past few months. Put me off a bit tbh! Especially big ticket items like R8s. Lucky my rig is pretty much sorted
    "I bought the guitar in April 2019 brand new from GuitarGuitar for in excess of £4K."

Unlucky, if true.
    Honestly going by recent experience I don't trust what anyone says on eBay now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    Big gap to the neck pup and a fairly iffy grain match - god knows why he paid 4k
    edited October 2019
    We obviously haven't discussed these guitars enough yet so thought I'd give the thread a gentle bump. Here's a photo of mine this morning - have changed the knobs, hardware is Gotoh and there's a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat in the neck and Nailbomb in the bridge - I fall in love with this guitar a little more every day:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Those reflectors look great!
    terada said:
    Thanks - I keep thinking about potentially adding a bigsby but that may be overkill. Did you keep any of the ones you bought?
    johnl said:
    terada said:
    Thanks - I keep thinking about potentially adding a bigsby but that may be overkill. Did you keep any of the ones you bought?
    I kept one R8 and the R9 - both dirty lemon!

I too have been thinking about adding a Bigsby to the R9! I've never had a guitar with one so not sure how it would affect tuning stability as at the moment both of them are rock solid.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    terada said:
    I prefer speed knobs - easier to use.  I have thought about putting some on mine.
    terada said:
    johnl said:
    terada said:
    I kept one R8 and the R9 - both dirty lemon!

I too have been thinking about adding a Bigsby to the R9! I've never had a guitar with one so not sure how it would affect tuning stability as at the moment both of them are rock solid.
    You should definitely do it. Mostly so I can see how it looks before I spend the money ;)
    edited October 2019
    crunchman said:
    terada said:
    I prefer speed knobs - easier to use.  I have thought about putting some on mine.
    These are pretty tough to use - it's true. I've got a system set up when I'm playing whereby I shout "VOLUME EIGHT TONE NINE!" (for example) and my missus comes running in from the other room with a couple of spanners and a hammer (just in case) and adjusts everything. Took us a bit of practice but it's almost seamless these days.....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    I put a bigsby with vibramate on an R6, it looked cool,  but the Vibramate makes it stand up higher than it would if it were screwed to the body. It just got in the way. Also, even though it has those pads, it will mark the finish as I found out to my dismay.
    Ossyrocks said:
    I put a bigsby with vibramate on an R6, it looked cool,  but the Vibramate makes it stand up higher than it would if it were screwed to the body. It just got in the way. Also, even though it has those pads, it will mark the finish as I found out to my dismay.
    Interesting. I was thinking of going the vibramate way, but maybe I should just bite the bullet and screw one in. hmmmm. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    terada said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Interesting. I was thinking of going the vibramate way, but maybe I should just bite the bullet and screw one in. hmmmm. 
    Even just the few millimetres higher for the vibramate adapter makes all the difference.

A mate of mine has done the "aww f**k it" and screwed one to his historic 335, he loves it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ossyrocks said:
    terada said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    Even just the few millimetres higher for the vibramate adapter makes all the difference.

A mate of mine has done the "aww f**k it" and screwed one to his historic 335, he loves it. 
    Excellent decision!
    Ossyrocks said:
    There's a write up in this month's Guitar magazine about that very process.  I wouldn't trust myself to do it, that's for sure.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    I did it to a peerless 335-alike and whilst the resale hut isn’t an issue, the process itself is very straightforward
  • terada said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    In terms of tuning stability, the Vibramate lessens the break angle over the bridge, which may or may not help. Indeed, this is the same principle behind Briggs BiggsFix.

Otherwise, definitely invest in a set of domed thumbwheels for the Tuneomatic, they will make a huge difference to the thing staying in tune 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Uhhhhh mama, too hot, too spicy.....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    I’ve used vibramates on a 335 and an LP and think they’re rubbish. Mark the finish and poor tuning stability on the LP. The strap button flexed on the LP! Screw it or don’t bother!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    hyperben said:
    I’ve used vibramates on a 335 and an LP and think they’re rubbish. Mark the finish and poor tuning stability on the LP. The strap button flexed on the LP! Screw it or don’t bother!  :)
    My vibramate experiences are the same. Drill it in if you care and want to keep the guitar. Make sure you have a decent nut. My bigsby 335 had a bone nut from the factory, it was so soft the tuning was properly fucked until I got a graphtec in there. Any bigsby dive brought the D and A strings 20 cents sharp
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited November 2019
    I miss this thread, I think back to that long hazy summer, badly wanting an R8 but holding out until the golds, black beauties and white LP's would pop up at boss gone mad prices

sadly it wasn't to be, they exist, but only in my memories...
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    I miss this thread, I think back to that long hazy summer, badly wanting an R8 but holding out until the golds, black beauties and white LP's would pop up at boss gone mad prices

I'm sure there were rumours flying around that the customs were going to be next. At the rate Gibson are making friends we can just wait until the next bankruptcy and buy some cheap customs then.....
    johnl said:
    tony99 said:

I'm sure there were rumours flying around that the customs were going to be next. At the rate Gibson are making friends we can just wait until the next bankruptcy and buy some cheap customs then.....
    Sold my R8 and got a used custom :) it is dinged up so I can leave it lying around lol
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter