Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Juanfra3 said:
    dbphoto said:
    A few examples of the poor finishing @TINMAN82 which as I have said I was happy ignoring during the honeymoon period and obviously made no difference to how well it played and sounded.

Mine also has the neck and ring gap...firstly bothered me as my LP standard T 2016 doesnt have any space /gap... I googled hunderds of Custom Shop/ USA Les Pauls and once and then i was able to find some with the gap.. so i stopped worrying it, and kept enjoying it and playing it. 
    I bought mine online, and surely i was lucky that it only came with the ring / neck little gap.

the damaged frets, its another story, and surely that is a flaw at Gibson Q&C checks through the moment they insert the frets in the neck, until they close the case for delivery.
    Wasn't going to comment on this yet again but just to confirm: 

The gap between the neck and the pickup ring was intentional, and occurred on most of the 5 digit serial R8s that I saw. 

What is less good are the chunks taken out at the corners of where the neck meets the body. The neck gap clearly makes this more obvious. Again though, so many of them have this it was clearly deemed acceptable at the factory.

For the record, I don't care about it either way. My R9 has both of these, and rocking out with it over the last year has been sublime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1844
    terada said:
    Juanfra3 said:
    dbphoto said:
    A few examples of the poor finishing @TINMAN82 which as I have said I was happy ignoring during the honeymoon period and obviously made no difference to how well it played and sounded.

Mine also has the neck and ring gap...firstly bothered me as my LP standard T 2016 doesnt have any space /gap... I googled hunderds of Custom Shop/ USA Les Pauls and once and then i was able to find some with the gap.. so i stopped worrying it, and kept enjoying it and playing it. 
    I bought mine online, and surely i was lucky that it only came with the ring / neck little gap.

the damaged frets, its another story, and surely that is a flaw at Gibson Q&C checks through the moment they insert the frets in the neck, until they close the case for delivery.
    Wasn't going to comment on this yet again but just to confirm: 

The gap between the neck and the pickup ring was intentional, and occurred on most of the 5 digit serial R8s that I saw. 

What is less good are the chunks taken out at the corners of where the neck meets the body. The neck gap clearly makes this more obvious. Again though, so many of them have this it was clearly deemed acceptable at the factory.

For the record, I don't care about it either way. My R9 has both of these, and rocking out with it over the last year has been sublime.
    I know it’s common (on historics) and present on many originals. That doesn’t make it look any more attractive to me and there’s plenty to choose from without gaps! Squint gaps are even worse... might be irrational but so is lusting after a 50s design with so many non-aesthetic design flaws, which I do too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    Both the 17’s I had (and sold) had poor finishing (file marks, major grain pore sinkage, binding scrap gaps, dry/rough rosewood boards) leading me to conclude that 2013 and 2014 was probably the most recent high point in Gibson CS production where specs and finish hit a sweet spot. Having said that, both my 2017 blow outs had the nice 59 neck profile, more correct pup covers than my 2014 and they were nice and resonant and sounded good.

Overall the fact the guitars just felt rushed irked me too much. Shame as they were pretty and sounded good, it just didn’t feel like much care had gone into them. 

My advice to perspective CS purchases look for 13/14’s..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    tomajoha said:
    Both the 17’s I had (and sold) had poor finishing (file marks, major grain pore sinkage, binding scrap gaps, dry/rough rosewood boards) leading me to conclude that 2013 and 2014 was probably the most recent high point in Gibson CS production where specs and finish hit a sweet spot. Having said that, both my 2017 blow outs had the nice 59 neck profile, more correct pup covers than my 2014 and they were nice and resonant and sounded good.

Overall the fact the guitars just felt rushed irked me too much. Shame as they were pretty and sounded good, it just didn’t feel like much care had gone into them. 

My advice to perspective CS purchases look for 13/14’s..
    I have had three 2014’s, an R4, an R6 and an R0. All we’re excellent guitars and finished well.

I currently have three 2017’s, two R8’s and an R9. All are excellent guitars and finished well. I couldn’t say one year was better than the other. 

But I can say I like the neck profiles more on the 2017’s, the finish is definitely thinner, and to my ear, they have a more dry, woody and airy tone and I think they do sound better than the 2014’s I had.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Sold mine to @hyperben on here, in 15 minutes lol. They are very much liquid assets

Made a sideways move to this pre-snapped 57 black beauty. It has worming on the back and a few drinks and scrapes, feel better about taking it out and modifying it than a pristine CS. It's a little more dead/dull sounding than the R8 which seems to work better for downtuned fuzz rock

Anyway it is quite unique among Les Pauls in that it has a one piece body and a two piece neck 

Feet for scale

edit: pups are @OilCityPickups Nightfighter IV neck and Nightfighter II bridge, can't recommend them enough. Fat and clear

Nice strap! Here's mine adorning my 2003 R9

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231

Haha snap. Actually probably best not to say snap in a Gibson thread 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Sold mine to @hyperben on here, in 15 minutes lol. They are very much liquid assets

Made a sideways move to this pre-snapped 57 black beauty. It has worming on the back and a few drinks and scrapes, feel better about taking it out and modifying it than a pristine CS. It's a little more dead/dull sounding than the R8 which seems to work better for downtuned fuzz rock

Anyway it is quite unique among Les Pauls in that it has a one piece body and a two piece neck 

Feet for scale

edit: pups are @OilCityPickups Nightfighter IV neck and Nightfighter II bridge, can't recommend them enough. Fat and clear

Glad you like my NightFighter pickups  :-)
    My chief pickup making mantra is: clarity first. You can add all the filth you want, but if a pickup doesn't let you hear every string, even under drive, its not doing its job.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    @Ossyrocks agreed the 17's were quite open sounding which was nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:

Feet for scale

My chief pickup making mantra is: clarity first. You can add all the filth you want, but if a pickup doesn't let you hear every string, even under drive, its not doing its job.
    There's just the right amount of clank to these, which I'm guessing is the coil offset? Whatever it is you've properly nailed it. Looking forward to set number two in my 335 :-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Feet for scale

There's just the right amount of clank to these, which I'm guessing is the coil offset? Whatever it is you've properly nailed it. Looking forward to set number two in my 335 :-)
    Yep ... there's a fair old coil offset going on ... really opens up the sound.
    Set number two won't be long :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2019
    I never posted pics of mine at the time for various reasons. Seems like a good reason to bump it now....

Still looks amazing to me when I open the case, I know it's plain but that's what I wanted, flame or quilt always looks lovely but it's not for me. Best thing is the sound, this one is just so open and clear, exactly what I expect to hear from a classic Les Paul.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Lovely @Boromedic ;
    Thanks mate.

Beautiful. 
    terada said:
    Beautiful. 
    Cheers dude, although sometimes I find myself wishing I'd bought a load of Harley Benton Single Cuts and upgraded them....... ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Boromedic said:
    terada said:
    Beautiful. 
    Cheers dude, although sometimes I find myself wishing I'd bought a load of Harley Benton Single Cuts and upgraded them....... ;)
    Haha! We all know that everyone in this thread got ripped off. That’s been proven now. R8s just can’t compete  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    So @Boromedic is yours ice tea flavour?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    No mate, it's the dirtiest of Lemons!

Boromedic said:
    tony99 said:
    No mate, it's the dirtiest of Lemons!
    Filthy dirty
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gringopig said:
    I still have mine but I have bought a set of Monty's PAF pickups and a soldering iron. Wish me luck!

Lovely top! Now get that sticker off! 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    P.s. I lol'd the badger in your pic, not the pic or post!! 

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Omg. This thread lives on! Awesome! I’ve been away for ages, back for a look and it’s still here