Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Still have mine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Ossyrocks said:
    I still have my three, but I actually listed my R9 for sale today on Facebook. The cherry R8 will be going too. I’m keeping the iced tea R8 with subtle flame and only 8lbs 5oz. 

I’m having a bit of a clear out to raise extra cash for a house purchase/ move coming up.

I listed my Yamano 335 this morning on Facebook and sold it in 5 minutes, maybe that was advertised a bit cheaply.....
    What’s the weight of your cherry? I may well be interested after stupidly moving on my cherry  :o
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    8 lbs 12 oz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    @terada Did you ever give us the answer on your LP sound comparison thread?  I know patience is a virtue and all that...
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    terada said:
    dbphoto said:
    ...and balanced better when playing seated...
    This was one of the main reasons many of mine left casa terada. My R9 is the most balanced les Paul I’ve ever handled on the knee, the R8 less so, but some of the ones I moved on were far too unbalanced for me. 
    Aye, most of my playing at home is late at night sat on the sofa so having something comfy and well balanced really makes a difference.  It was one of the heavier ones at 9lb 5oz right enough.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited July 2019
    Sold mine to @hyperben on here, in 15 minutes lol. They are very much liquid assets

Made a sideways move to this pre-snapped 57 black beauty. It has worming on the back and a few drinks and scrapes, feel better about taking it out and modifying it than a pristine CS. It's a little more dead/dull sounding than the R8 which seems to work better for downtuned fuzz rock

Anyway it is quite unique among Les Pauls in that it has a one piece body and a two piece neck 

Feet for scale

edit: pups are @OilCityPickups Nightfighter IV neck and Nightfighter II bridge, can't recommend them enough. Fat and clear

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1844
    Would be interesting to know what % of these are still in the possession of original owners just 1 year down the line. There was a lot of hyperbole about special 2017 spec and such like at the time but I always wondered if some of these had been held back for a reason. 
  • Still have mine and it’s not going anywhere. Best guitar I own and absolutely love it 
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 765
    Thinking i may move mine on, R8 VOS Dirty Lemon 8lb 15oz
    Never play it 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1068
    Sold mine. Regretted it straight away. Would like another one at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    terada said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    I still have my three, but I actually listed my R9 for sale today on Facebook. The cherry R8 will be going too. I’m keeping the iced tea R8 with subtle flame and only 8lbs 5oz. 

I’m having a bit of a clear out to raise extra cash for a house purchase/ move coming up.

I listed my Yamano 335 this morning on Facebook and sold it in 5 minutes, maybe that was advertised a bit cheaply.....
    What’s the weight of your cherry? I may well be interested after stupidly moving on my cherry  :o
    You lost your cherry?

There's a joke there somewhere.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    edited July 2019
    I’m on a bit of a roll today having sold the 335 in five minutes and now my 1974X. The wife is smiling at the prospect of extra funds for the house move. So......

I’m going to be selling the washed cherry R8 for hopefully what I paid. It never left the house!
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    My superlight 8lb R8 is now in the possession of a good friend for whom it's his #1. He's a massive Les Paul fan and it's the guitar he's been after for years.

I spent the money, plus my two R9s in trade, on a PRS Private Stock. I've tried many times, but I'm just not a Gibson man.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Ossyrocks said:
    I’m on a bit of a roll today having sold the 335 in five minutes and now my 1974X. The wife is smiling at the prospect of extra funds for the house move. So......

I’m going to be selling the washed cherry R8 for hopefully what I paid. It never left the house!
     Congrats on the sales mate
  • @AlexO was yours tobacco? If so I'm gutted. I literally came here to say if anyone is selling a tobacco 2017 R8, don't unless you sell it to me first.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Ossyrocks said:
    8 lbs 12 oz
    Thanks ossy. Can’t say its the best time for me to reignite the r8 fire but I’m definitely interested. Would need to get ms terada on board though  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Still got mine, it's fucking class and it's going nowhere. It's amazing, sounds exactly how I expect a Les Paul to sound, and it's superbly put together. Love it.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @AlexO was yours tobacco? If so I'm gutted. I literally came here to say if anyone is selling a tobacco 2017 R8, don't unless you sell it to me first.
     No mate was a Iced tea I think.  I wanted a faded lemonburst really.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Still use mine daily. Best guitar I've ever owned and seems to have ruined me for all other guitars. Since I bought it I've bought (and sold) a further 4 guitars that couldn't compete with the Les Paul.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlexO said:
    @AlexO was yours tobacco? If so I'm gutted. I literally came here to say if anyone is selling a tobacco 2017 R8, don't unless you sell it to me first.
    Ah ok fella. You think you'll get one if the opportunity arose? Surely there's a couple of lemon's kncking about.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961

Still got my R9.  I'm debating whether to keep it.  In February I bought a Custom Shop 335 when they were being blown out cheap, and to be honest I prefer that to the Les Paul.  It's a different guitar, and there is room for both, but the two guitars I play the most are probably my Strat and the 335.

I also built myself a Tele style guitar at Crimson in the spring and bought two basses, so I'm getting to the point where I've got too many guitars again, and need to make some space.  I do need to sell a bass, but selling the Les Paul is tempting because of the amount I could get for it.  On the other hand, it's a great guitar, and nothing else quite sounds like a Les Paul when you want that sound. 

A few examples of the poor finishing @TINMAN82 which as I have said I was happy ignoring during the honeymoon period and obviously made no difference to how well it played and sounded.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 765
    AlexO said:
    Buy my one mate
    Philly_Q said:
    @terada Did you ever give us the answer on your LP sound comparison thread?  I know patience is a virtue and all that...
    Apologies @Philly_Q, I meant to get it up ages ago. Its up now  :)
    adampeter said:
    AlexO said:
    Buy my one mate
    Would love to.. but my guitar tokens are spent up. Sure it won't hang about 
    edited August 2019
    dbphoto said:
    A few examples of the poor finishing @TINMAN82 which as I have said I was happy ignoring during the honeymoon period and obviously made no difference to how well it played and sounded.

Hmm. Have to say a neck pickup gap that size would stop me buying any Les Paul. I might accept it on a real 59 but it would still annoy me! The gouge at the 11th fret is unacceptable. Can’t see an obvious issue on the last photo. Shame as it’s a nice bit of rosewood.

Of course @Kalimna , this is admittedly purely subjective claptrap with zero bearing on sound or playability  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    TINMAN82 said:
    Can’t see an obvious issue on the last photo. Shame as it’s a nice bit of rosewood.

Unfilled gaps around the inlays?

I have to say (probably for the second or third time in this thread), despite the flaws, I'm impressed with how clean the pickup cavity routing is.  I know it should be expected at the price, but I've seen Gibsons with some really ragged routing.

Look at the ends of the frets on the bass side in the last photo @TINMAN82 there was crimp marks on almost every fret like that.
  • Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    dbphoto said:

Mine also has the neck and ring gap...firstly bothered me as my LP standard T 2016 doesnt have any space /gap... I googled hunderds of Custom Shop/ USA Les Pauls and once and then i was able to find some with the gap.. so i stopped worrying it, and kept enjoying it and playing it. 
    I bought mine online, and surely i was lucky that it only came with the ring / neck little gap.

the damaged frets, its another story, and surely that is a flaw at Gibson Q&C checks through the moment they insert the frets in the neck, until they close the case for delivery.
    dbphoto said:
    Look at the ends of the frets on the bass side in the last photo @TINMAN82 there was crimp marks on almost every fret like that.
    Right ok, I see it now. Agree very poor at this level. I’m surprised as my experience of their CS is of immaculate workmanship.