Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I don't think the new standards are near the true historic spec they put out on these tbh, they look like good guitars or at least better than previous standards. However I reckon these were still a steal for what we got. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Indeed, I'm sure they're good guitars but take a look at the weights of the ones at Peach (or whoever else lists the weight for each model). Even if you don't believe we got better guitars we very definitely got lighter ones....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've tried the new ones and still think my R8 feels better.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    tony99 said:
    TTony said:
    tony99 said:
    somewhere in northwich wherever that is !!
    Northwich is just north of Middlewich, which in turn is just north of Southwich  Sandbach.

I wonder what happened to Southwich???

(I know this because I lived in Sandbach for many years!)
    TBH you're just making me want a sandwich
    the craziest thing is that there is a "Leftwich" but no Rightwich, or Eastwich, or Westwich...
    Is there even a wich?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchman said:
    On the subject of R8s, I've been seeing that the newer factory production Standards are getting good reviews.  Is the difference between these and the R8s still there, or has it largely disappeared?  And should we all have waited and saved our money?
    I heard if you do a pickup swap they're nearly as good as Harley Bentons. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • terada said:
    tony99 said:
    TTony said:
    tony99 said:
    Northwich is just north of Middlewich, which in turn is just north of Southwich  Sandbach.

the craziest thing is that there is a "Leftwich" but no Rightwich, or Eastwich, or Westwich...
    Is there even a wich?
    It's short for West Ich
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    terada said:
    tony99 said:
    TTony said:
    tony99 said:

Is there even a wich?
    Not any longer
    :(

Most of them were burned back in the middle ages.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    Gratuitous 2017 R8 pic. This is the only one I have now of the three I originally bought.

Rob.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    crunchman said:
    On the subject of R8s, I've been seeing that the newer factory production Standards are getting good reviews.  Is the difference between these and the R8s still there, or has it largely disappeared?  And should we all have waited and saved our money?

Some of this is puzzling. This is what Guitar Magazine said to the new CMO, Cesar Gueikian, in their recent interview.

The guitars Gibson has been making over the last year have
    been much better received than many of the pre-bankruptcy
    instruments – can you explain a little about how you were able
    to change things so quickly?

And yet it seems that the majority of 2017 R8 owners are very happy with their guitar in terms of fit and finish and more.

• Skipped said:
    crunchman said:

Some of this is puzzling. This is what Guitar Magazine said to the new CMO, Cesar Gueikian, in their recent interview.

And yet it seems that the majority of 2017 R8 owners are very happy with their guitar in terms of fit and finish and more.

Simple. Nobody buys magazines in 2020 about 2017 guitars and Gibson doesn't care about selling 2017 guitars anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    Skipped said:
    crunchman said:

Simple. Nobody buys magazines in 2020 about 2017 guitars and Gibson doesn't care about selling 2017 guitars anymore.
    And is he referring to standard and custom shop production? Although not without their issues, CS stuff is generally far more consistent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Skipped said:
    crunchman said:

Exactly.   They've got rid of the model year designation so need to differentiate between yesterday's product and today's product, which are almost certainly 99% similar, in some way or other.  Now we have "pre-bankruptcy" to add to the nonsense guitar-related phrases like "lawsuit".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ^ Just to add to this, I have a mental picture of an American chap who has worked in the Gibson factory for years, never met any senior management, hasn't ever changed his method of working from one decade to the next, scratching his head at all the perceived differences in the product he makes, allegedly due to a change in the talking heads at the top of the company.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Skipped said:
    crunchman said:

Exactly.   They've got rid of the model year designation so need to differentiate between yesterday's product and today's product, which are almost certainly 99% similar, in some way or other.  Now we have "pre-bankruptcy" to add to the nonsense guitar-related phrases like "lawsuit".
    Sadly that probably means no more blowouts too :'( the custom shop prices seem to have shot up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    roberty said:
    Skipped said:
    crunchman said:

Sadly that probably means no more blowouts too :'( the custom shop prices seem to have shot up

They do seem to be going for higher prices and smaller volumes.  That's probably good news on second hand prices for those of us who did buy in 2018.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited February 2020
    If you don’t mind a brief interruption by a new Standard 60’s owner, the frets on the standard are smaller, or lower, (medium jumbo) than other guitars I’ve owned. I take it this is faithful to the originals, as jumbo frets etc came later? What size frets are on your R8’s?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    The 2017 R8s have bigger frets but from 2018 onward 58 reissues have vintage-style frets - you have to go R9 to get larger ones. 
  • Whitecat said:
    The 2017 R8s have bigger frets but from 2018 onward 58 reissues have vintage-style frets - you have to go R9 to get larger ones. 
    The 2017 ones were a great deal considering the little details like that, and the R9 neck profile. Superb guitars.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Whitecat said:
    The 2017 ones were a great deal considering the little details like that, and the R9 neck profile. Superb guitars.
    They are R9s in all but the level of figure on the tops (and even then, some were as good as any R9 I've seen!) and the serial number starting with an '8'... literally the buy of the decade, if not the century...
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    They are R9s in all but the level of figure on the tops (and even then, some were as good as any R9 I've seen!) and the serial number starting with an '8'... literally the buy of the decade, if not the century...
    Indeed! My last remaining 2017 R8 further up this page has a lovely figure in the top. Not quite R9 level, but it's close. It also weighs just 8 lbs 5 oz. It is honestly the best Les Paul I have ever owned. It pays beautifully and sounds divine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Exactly, mine does too, I love it.

Personal preference is plain tops anyway, so I'm very happy it's not as flamey as some prefer.

• mortmort Frets: 709
    This seller has three 2017 R8s on EBay at the moment, claims to have paid £4K each for them....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/retro_samurai/m.html?item=223921776300&hash=item3422c726ac%3Ag%3AkFAAAOSwhA9eTxyt&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    mort said:
    This seller has three 2017 R8s on EBay at the moment, claims to have paid £4K each for them....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/retro_samurai/m.html?item=223921776300&hash=item3422c726ac%3Ag%3AkFAAAOSwhA9eTxyt&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

His fibs aside, not a bad price in today’s market really.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 363
    mort said:

His fibs aside, not a bad price in today’s market really.
    **BARGAIN**

He must have bought all four colours and decided to keep the iced tea?!
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited March 2020
    Those guitars look pretty hot to me. And not in a good way. Paid £4000 five months ago and now asking £2500? Sounds to me they fell off the back of a lorry. Cash in hand and no refunds? Dodgy.
    LPManic said:
    Those guitars look pretty hot to me. And not in a good way. Paid £4000 five months ago and now asking £2500? Sounds to me they fell off the back of a lorry. Cash in hand and no refunds? Dodgy.
    Nah, I reckon he paid £2499 like the rest of us. Perhaps he thought they would shoot up in value, but just wants his ‘investment’ money back, now it’s clear there was no instant profit to be had?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    mort said:
    LPManic said:
    Nah, I reckon he paid £2499 like the rest of us. Perhaps he thought they would shoot up in value, but just wants his ‘investment’ money back, now it’s clear there was no instant profit to be had?
    It was £1 FVF in the weekend so if they sell for £2,500 he'll get £2,499 on the nose lol

Actually not true, PayPal will take 3%

He'd need to hold onto them for a while longer yet and probably not play them at all

For £7.5k you could get something vintage and hollow, or an original student model
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    Certainly looks like he's a fan of a plaintop
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    My question is how the man keeps his trousers on, he says he wears no belts?