Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    No Goldtops coming then according to John, no R9s either I guess?  I think GG hoovered all those up...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited November 2018
    Pre ordered. FFS
    8reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    He doesn’t sound thrilled about the gloss finish. 

I would recommend if you haven’t got one yet and would like a decent LP, now is the time. This selloff is the result of cashflow needs. Now a new CEO is in place he will be looking to implement his strategy for the brand and devaluing it’s range, will likely not be top of his agenda. This is is my second CS Gibson, and the quality of these ltd runs IMO is great.

On another note, any tips on how to remove that tacky Custom Shop cover on the back, without damaging it? I’ve taken all the screws out and the thing won’t budge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Barnezy said:
    He doesn’t sound thrilled about the gloss finish. 

I would recommend if you haven’t got one yet and would like a decent LP, now is the time. This selloff is the result of cashflow needs. Now a new CEO is in place he will be looking to implement his strategy for the brand and devaluing it’s range, will likely not be top of his agenda. This is is my second CS Gibson, and the quality of these ltd runs IMO is great.

On another note, any tips on how to remove that tacky Custom Shop cover on the back, without damaging it? I’ve taken all the screws out and the thing won’t budge. 
    Twist it
    edited November 2018
    Wow that was really stuck on! Much better now. 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Barnezy said:

Mine simply dropped off after I'd taken the screws out. All I need now is a proper black plastic cover. Anyone got a spare?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited November 2018
    DEATH TO VERTICAL VIDEO!!! Grrarrrgfhh. 

Anyway, good luck to everyone pre-ordering - that you'll still get to pick a top/weight/both is super cool...
    merlin said:
    Barnezy said:

Mine simply dropped off after I'd taken the screws out. All I need now is a proper black plastic cover. Anyone got a spare?
    Should have come with one in the case. 
  • "if you're the first, you'll get first pic of weight and top"
    They really are the best around, aren't they, in terms of service.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphoto said:
    Just noticed this on the Peach site:

'These guitars are currently going through the CITES process and are due to touch down mid December'

So if anyone is thinking about selling theirs then probably best to do it over the next few weeks!

I think this whole devaluing on second hand market is a bit overblown - though I don't have a crystal ball and can't know what the new incoming will do. Out of the 300 or so that were 'dumped' on the market, there is one currently on eBay and maybe one other on Reverb. So far maybe 4-5 traded on the forum which to me says that a lot of them may not be 'catch and release' guitars. The one I have at least is a good enough instrument that I would probably regret letting it go and having had a couple different LPs I wouldn't fancy having a try at finding another one that suited me. £1900-2300 is the range I see these staying in. They're better spec'd instruments than Standards, CS products, and in desirable colours. If you look at 2015 dumped amazon black friday guitars, they've gradually crept up. I paid £289 for my Jr. and ended up trading it for a MIM strat. Try getting a 2015 jr lose to that today - despite the headstock, neck and gforce.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited November 2018
    I more or less agree with you @danishbacon ;;

As I have said before I wouldn’t now pay more than £2k for a used R8, as for me it has to be worth a 20% saving to buy used and not have the advantage of a 14 day return period, manufacturer warranty, and if the mood took me, finance.

Plenty of others disagree with me though and think they should still be around £2.5k used.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    shall we get some odds going on how many glossy ones @terada is going to end up with ?
     ;) 
    mli3 said:
    shall we get some odds going on how many glossy ones @terada is going to end up with ?
     ;) 
    Only one, honest ;)
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    of each colour you mean ? :-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    mli3 said:
    of each colour you mean ? :-)
    touché :)  
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    dbphoto said:
    Just noticed this on the Peach site:

'These guitars are currently going through the CITES process and are due to touch down mid December'

So if anyone is thinking about selling theirs then probably best to do it over the next few weeks!
    If they are going through the CITES process then they are a fresh batch from the US.

I wonder if Gobsin have decided to unload extra stock here rather than bring down US prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    dbphoto said:
    I more or less agree with you @danishbacon ;;

As I have said before I wouldn’t now pay more than £2k for a used R8, as for me it has to be worth a 20% saving to buy used and not have the advantage of a 14 day return period, manufacturer warranty, and if the mood took me, finance.

Plenty of others disagree with me though and think they should still be around £2.5k used.
    I bought mine the other day from a forum member as I didn’t realise at the time this offer was happening and missed out. I paid £2,500, and it is worth every penny in my opinion, regardless of what it cost new, only a month ago. 

You say 20% off new discounted price now, but when this ends and the only way to get a new R8 is £3.5k+, £2.5k+ for a used one will still be a bargain. 

For me though this is a keeper for sure. I doubt I will ever be able to get such a highly spec’d, quality LP for this money again. It’s not that often companies go bankrupt.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    Serious question for the fretboard brains trust so no sarcastic responses please.

i like the vos finish and not keen on super shiny new guitars. Will the gloss finish ages to a vos and will the binding be brilliant white?
    pmg said:
    Serious question for the fretboard brains trust so no sarcastic responses please.

i like the vos finish and not keen on super shiny new guitars. Will the gloss finish ages to a vos and will the binding be brilliant white?
    No - the opposite actually. VOS “wears” to gloss. 

The binding will have dye bleed that will fade with UV exposure but it won’t be “brilliant” white. More an aged ivory colour perhaps. 
    Thanks @whitecat so essentially the only difference is the vos vs gloss feel/appearance?
    pmg said:
    Thanks @whitecat so essentially the only difference is the vos vs gloss feel/appearance?
    Yes, and I presume that the hardware on the gloss editions is pristine/new. VOS hardware is “slightly aged” in appearance. 
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    Yes, and I presume that the hardware on the gloss editions is pristine/new. VOS hardware is “slightly aged” in appearance. 
    That will tarnish anyway won’t it?
    pmg said:
    Whitecat said:
    pmg said:
    That will tarnish anyway won’t it?
    Eventually!
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    Yes the hardware is all shiny on the gloss models
    And when we say eventually...
    pmg said:
    And when we say eventually...
    Depends how much you play it, how acidic your sweat is etc... nickel doesn’t usually take all that long to start to show wear though. 
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    VOS hardware doesn’t exactly look aged though. More like it’s been dunked in oil. When the shiny hardware ages it’ll look really nice. Regularly played I reckon 3 to 5 years before it really starts to look properly aged.
    Yeah I know they don’t look aged but not shiny brand new either

• 2.5k is about right for an R8/9/0. I paid the very same for my R0 new in 2013.

I don't know who the fk drops 6 or 7k on the top end CS stuff. Might as well look at vintage specials at that price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231

2.5k is about right for an R8/9/0. I paid the very same for my R0 new in 2013.

I don't know who the fk drops 6 or 7k on the top end CS stuff. Might as well look at vintage specials at that price
    Yeah 5k mark I'd be looking at an original Junior <3