Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Root is the leading run scorer in test cricket in 2022.
    If he’s not scored any in a year, feel free to question his form, but he got a 73 2 tests ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Cos we have always done so before the beginning of time with the summer touring team.  It brings money in for the employing country, and also for the counties he/they play who don’t have tests against the country.  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    SA v Eng ODI just started.

Willey bowling to de Kock. 

Fnarr fnarr. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Aussies humiliated in India within 3 days and by 100 plus runs and an innings

Always nice to see the Aussies get walloped.

16 out of 20 wickets to spinners though.  Not sure how much bearing it will have on the Ashes. 

tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Always nice to see the Aussies get walloped.

16 out of 20 wickets to spinners though.  Not sure how much bearing it will have on the Ashes. 

agree on the above comments
    There are accusations that India were a little spin-friendly in their preparation of the pitch.

I wonder if the Aussies will pick Sandy Paper for the next test. 
    Well, that was a bit of a thumping for NZ.

I'm beginning to think that we might get the Ashes back this summer if everyone stays fit. Where does YJB fit into this? Opener-in-waiting?
    tFB Trader
    And Anderson + Broad now the #1 bowling duo based on aggregate wickets
    Harry Brook - wow. What a player.

I went to bed just after the third wicket fell and thought we'd be lucky to get 150. I don't remember seeing a wicket so green in a test match.

I just watched ten minutes if highlights on YouTube, most of which was Brook smacking the cover off the ball with the occasional glorious Root shot.

Early start, 9:30 UK time tonight. I might watch a bit... 
    He was lucky early on before the pitch flattened out and bowlers started to tire.  There was a pull shot that he ballooned up that should have been caught, but Southee was on his heels and didn't get there to catch it.  One or two early through the slip/gully area as well.

I went to bed at lunch, but from the morning session, I would say that Root's innings was actually better as he didn't offer those chances.

Brook is still a very good player.  Sometimes you just get the luck going your way.  Lara was dropped on 18 on his way to his record 501*.
    tFB Trader
    Just seen the stat that shows Brook has scored more runs after his first 9 matches than any other player in the history of test cricket - Can't see how Bairstow will get back in the side 
    Just seen the stat that shows Brook has scored more runs after his first 9 matches than any other player in the history of test cricket - Can't see how Bairstow will get back in the side 

It's a nice problem to have.  I don't know if Brook's game is tight enough to bat at three, where he will be facing the new ball, especially with Crawley opening.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    JB can open. Simple.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    ^^^ I thought this too. 
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    JB can open. Simple.
    camf said:
    ^^^ I thought this too. 
    Is it possible he might get the gloves back ? - Just a thought 

Can't recall if he has opened for England in a test match - I know he has in various T20 and/or ODI - I think he might have opened for England, but with no/little success (need to check that so just a fading memory and/or gut feeling) 
    Gassage said:
    JB can open. Simple.
    camf said:
    ^^^ I thought this too. 
    Is it possible he might get the gloves back ? - Just a thought 

Can't recall if he has opened for England in a test match - I know he has in various T20 and/or ODI - I think he might have opened for England, but with no/little success (need to check that so just a fading memory and/or gut feeling) 

He shouldn't.   Foakes is a far better keeper, and Foakes bats pretty well anyway.  If Bairstow gives someone a life and they go on to make a big score, it negates his superior batting.

A really good keeper opens up other options as well.  Broad asked Foakes to stand up to the stumps to keep a batsman in his crease.  Bairstow just isn't good enough to give you that option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    scrumhalf said:
    Harry Brook - wow. What a player.

I went to bed just after the third wicket fell and thought we'd be lucky to get 150. 
    Funny enough, I have spent a lifetime following miserable England cricket and got so used to failure, but with this team even at 21-3 I felt that we wouldn't collapse. Brook - incredible!
    edited February 2023
    Another good day.

I watched the first session before going to bed.

The funniest bit might have been Gower talking about Williamson's dismissal.  He can't really talk about people getting out to balls outside off stump that they should have been leaving.  How many times did he get out wafting outside off stump?
    edited February 2023 tFB Trader
    They certainly know how to create box office drama

Some great historic stats as well - NZ 2nd innings  of 483 is the 4th highest score by a team following on - Only the 4th time in test history a side has lost a match after enforcing the follow on - Only the 2nd ever defeat by one run in test match history (think that is by any side)

Even with just one or two balls to go, all 4 results were possible
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I can't believe how painful that loss was. Feel gutted for some reason.Very disappointing.

Oh well, all credit to NZ, well played guys.

I'm my younger naive days I always thought that to enforce a follow on was a total no brainer. What I didn't consider at the time was the fact that it tires out the team much more to all be working in the field and bowling twice in a row.
    A lot of the England players didn't show much composure.  Pope looked like a headless chicken.  Root had a complete brain freeze running out Brook.  Duckett got out to a flat footed Gower-esque waft outside off stump.

The bigger worry going forwards is Stokes's knee.  If he can't bowl then it causes issues with the balance of the side.  Maybe he can reinvent himself as a number 3 batsman.  He'd be better than Pope, and it would allow them to bring back Bairstow while keeping Foakes in the team.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    A lot of the England players didn't show much composure.  Pope looked like a headless chicken.  Root had a complete brain freeze running out Brook.  Duckett got out to a flat footed Gower-esque waft outside off stump.

The bigger worry going forwards is Stokes's knee.  If he can't bowl then it causes issues with the balance of the side.  Maybe he can reinvent himself as a number 3 batsman.  He'd be better than Pope, and it would allow them to bring back Bairstow while keeping Foakes in the team.
    A good option and I'm sure the likes of McCullum will look at such options as he is far less of a  'text book' operator than many of the old school/tie brigade 

J Kallis towards the end of his career bowled spasmodically - Recall he batted at 3 or 4 most of the time
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    A great game. Can't believe England lost but oh well.

I am going to the first day of the Ashes at Edgbaston and I can't wait.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    Shane Warne has been gone a year today.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Seeing stuff on news websites that the Hundred may be binned and replaced with a T20 tournament.  Seems like a step in the right direction.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Seeing stuff on news websites that the Hundred may be binned and replaced with a T20 tournament.  Seems like a step in the right direction.
    I'm not a fan of the 100 - Main reason is I don't have a side to support - I'm a Yorkshire lad, but effectively our 'team' is the Northern Super Charges - But Root and Bairstow don't play for that team

However my daughter (now 21) is getting into cricket after watching the 100 - I've watched the odd game on telly with her as it is obviously a 'bonding' experience - But if it's job is to bring new supporters to the game then its done its job - She is coming with me to the first day of the Ashes test at Headingley

Could never understand the idea of a 120 ball game to be made shorter by 20 balls either - Yes have the franchise format as the IPL has proved how successful/big it is - Ditto Big Bash - But make it a T20 at least 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    crunchman said:
    Just invest more in the blast. Great tournament and finals day is my favourite day out of the year 
    The Hundred was a mistake.

In cricketing terms it made no sense - playing a format that nobody else played. Commercially it has proved to be a drain on the game instead of a contributor.

The creation of franchises that pitched together adjacent counties together to form teams with no roots flew in the face of hundreds of years of the local game.

It's bad enough that out-grounds have disappeared, this format shrunk the number of grounds where you could see a game even further.

I welcome any steps towards its demise.