Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I went to Lords yesterday. Thought England were well short after most of the players got themselves out playing poorly judged shots. Odd to see even composed players like Root look jittery and foot movement from Roy, Buttler and others was non existent. Thought we'd left 40-60 in the field.
    Then India didn't turn up at all. Well done to Topley after a difficult period. Left arm and relatively quick can be useful. Everything went for him, but don't think anyone would begrudge him that.
    Decider could go either way.

I'm off to T20 finals day tomorrow for the best day out in cricket
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Forgot test match started again today - just looked post lunch and 116-6 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    "Come on you rain"!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    it's okay - we only start to play when it is our 2nd innings and chasing a total to win 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    it's okay - we only start to play when it is our 2nd innings and chasing a total to win 
    Let's hope so because our first innings has been a nightmare. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Neil said:
    Let's hope so because our first innings has been a nightmare. 
    The only way we can be chasing a total in this match is to make SA follow on.  We are stuffed if it doesn't rain.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Going to the Hundred at Southampton today with Mrs sev112 who quite enjoyed it last year when our week’s holiday coincided with wind and rain so we watched quite a lot of it along with the Olympics 

train strike not helping though :(
    At the ground in the Mound stand.  Got a call just before 9 from a friend with tickets she couldn't use.  Got here a bit late. First ball we saw was Pope getting out so blame me for that one.

Having to explain everything to my 10 year old daughter.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    At the ground in the Mound stand.  Got a call just before 9 from a friend with tickets she couldn't use.  Got here a bit late. First ball we saw was Pope getting out so blame me for that one.

Having to explain everything to my 10 year old daughter.
    my daughter is 20 now - Went to Headingley with her to see the ODi v SA- rained off after about 30 overs - But she is starting to get into it - Watched a Hundred game on TV with her - The Hundred is not my thing, but if it helps others get into cricket and I can watch it with her then good news 

She understands some of cricket but we have not even started on fielding positions yet 

Enjoy the day with your daughter - everything else is 2nd
    She enjoyed it.  The atmosphere got a bit lively later in the day when Stokes took those wickets.

Bit of a mixed day.  Potts was not good in the morning, but seemed to have a much better rhythm in the evening, and the speeds they were showing on the scoreboard for him were noticeably faster.

Some of the short ball stuff to Maharaj just wasn't thought through.  They got him with a short ball in the end, but the first 8 or 10 they bowled when he was new to the crease were far too high and sailed over his head.  Then they had a field set for the short ball only to bowl outside off and get creamed through the covers.

It was an enjoyable day out though.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Bazball? Bazbollocks.

Play test cricket properly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Went to the Hundred at Southampton yesterday . Throughly enjoyable. Great view from everywhere at the Ageas.  Was sat at Mid-wicket/ square leg, so next time I’d like to go straighter.  

We had to leave halfway through the final innings for health reasons, but the game was pretty much over by then.
    tFB Trader
    The frenzy of NZ looks a long way away at the moment
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Our club was very short of players today so I got bumped up from my usual slot in the fourth XI to the dizzy heights of the second XI. Wasn't expecting to do anything but to my surprise I was asked to open the bowling and somehow burgled a five-for. I think I should probably retire on that high.

Obviously we lost, and I made up for it by getting out first ball when we batted.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    Stuckfast said:
    Our club was very short of players today so I got bumped up from my usual slot in the fourth XI to the dizzy heights of the second XI. Wasn't expecting to do anything but to my surprise I was asked to open the bowling and somehow burgled a five-for. I think I should probably retire on that high.

Obviously we lost, and I made up for it by getting out first ball when we batted.
    Excellent work! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Relegated - Just 5 runs needed to survive - last day of the season - almost the last hour of the season - 9 wickets for Norwell

Bugger
    tFB Trader
    Got my tickets for Eng v Aus - 1st Day - Headingley 2023
    tFB Trader
    Is this for real - We loose to Ireland and yet bowl them all out with 4 balls to spare - Congrats to the Irish - Makes the game v Aus on Friday a must win 
    Excellent - that’s the sunny day I beleive ?  
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    Excellent - that’s the sunny day I beleive ?  
    Hope so - but it is in Yorkshire - Last time I went was the 'Ben Stokes' match but I got the first day again - We took something like 9 Aussie wickets on a rain effected day 

Went 2021 and got the India game, again 1st day and we bowled them all out for well under 100 

This year got tickets for the SA ODI match - rained off - got something like 20 overs in so a partial refund
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    This world cup has been shambolic. Can’t quite get my head around how a t20 tournament doesn’t have rain reserve days. Been listening to it all week in the office and most matches have been rain affected.

bring on the test series v Pakistan. Though I wonder if the shooting of Imran Khan might throw a spanner in the works with regards to the tour going ahead 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nobody following the T20 semi-final?

England chasing 169 from India, currently 144-0 off 13.4 overs!

13 needed from 5 overs.

Buttler 71, Hales 81.

• Bugger me that was impressive. Not a bad total after a slow start by the Indians but we demolished it
    Given the opposition, the reward for winning and missing Wood and Malan this was a thorough stuffing. Hales and Buttler were brutal.

The final should be a cracker but I remember 1992, Pakistan can be very tough to beat. 
    tFB Trader
    Think the match is now on Channel 4 as well as Sky 

Great performance today - The bowlers helped to stifle a potential free flowing Indian score that might have got them well over 180 - But Buttler and Hales were awesome - Always the question of which Pakistan will turn up - They can be so hit 'n' miss
    Champions!!!

Double World Cup winners!!

Now put the white ball aside and let's concentrate on the Ashes. 
  • England are white ball champions of the world. Boom!

Now we just need my hometown boy, George Russell, to win the Brazilian Grand Prix from his first pole position and we're all set.

• England are white ball champions of the world. Boom!

Now we just need my hometown boy, George Russell, to win the Brazilian Grand Prix from his first pole position and we're all set.
    YESSSSS! The boy from my hometown, King's Lynn, won the Brazilian GP, his first win. 

What a day, England then our local hero.

tFB Trader
    England are white ball champions of the world. Boom!

Great early morning entertainment - Sam C player of the tournament as well