Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Thanks
    Broad and Anderson now looking like wot all those B&W cricketers from old days looked like - I.e old ;) 

Still they are worth their place.

top 3 looking dodgy but who,else would you have ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    Lordy I can still remember Anderson's test debut, now he's one of the most senior players in the team. Jeez I feel old.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    sev112 said:
    Thanks
    Broad and Anderson now looking like wot all those B&W cricketers from old days looked like - I.e old ;) 

Still they are worth their place.

top 3 looking dodgy but who,else would you have ?

Would probably be better with Crawley at 3 to protect him a bit.  He's too loose to open.

Lees didn't do badly in the Carribean, and he's the man in possession, so I think he has to have one of the opening spots.  He's also in decent form - averaging 76 this season.

As the other opener, I'd be tempted to chuck Ben Compton in.  He's averaging 109 so far this season.  He's been playing in the same Kent team as Crawley, who has been averaging 30.  It would be a gamble, as Compton has only played 16 first class matches, but Burns and Hameed haven't been setting the world alight so far this season.  I do think Hameed has potential long term, but he could do with a bit of time to get right after the winter.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Hopefully England will put on a performance that will raise the spirits of we Kent fans who are enduring a less than stellar season so far.

Jimmy and Broad at Lords - not a bad start to the long weekend. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited June 2022
    MCC v Old Wulfs Centenary yday
    We 248-6, they 238-8
    Worcs Alex Milton 58 - beauty of a batter. (Alex back r, far left)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Good start, but we haven't batted yet.
    crunchman said:
    If it carries on like this we won't have to wait too long. 

Form is temporary, Jimmy is permanent.
  • NorthernGoonerNorthernGooner Frets: 183
    edited June 2022
    Yesterday the Missus and I were thinking of going today. Worked out costs 2 match tickets,
    return train from Macclesfield to London, tube fares, food and drinks, looking in the region of £800 for the two
    of us. FFS.  Watching it on the telly at home then. s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:
    If it carries on like this we won't have to wait too long. 

Form is temporary, Jimmy is permanent.
    can we clone him?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    Yesterday the Missus and I were thinking of going today. Worked out costs 2 match tickets,
    return train from Macclesfield to London, tube fares, food and drinks, looking in the region of £800 for the two

The ticket pricing is an interesting one because the cost of living is touted as the reason for empty seats. There's way more reasons than that. Compare this Test to the last time England held a Test at Lords in the pre-Covid days. 

Day 1 at Lords 2019 for the Ashes was £150 to sit in the Mound Stand (and sit I did with a friend as the rain came and went and came again all bloody day). Day 1 for the Mound Stand against NZ is £110. So if you approach the prices on a seat only basis then some of the seats are actually cheaper than they were three years ago. 

However, NZ is not an opponent that you can charge top rates for nor are they an opponent who bring big travelling support at the best of times. The hope therefore for MCC was to sell as many home fan tickets as possible and generally that pool of potential customers will come from the South because of the ruddy mental train train travel costs. Instead those folk have upped sticks and gone overseas,this is the first May half term since 2019 where people have been able to plan to and actually go away. Two bank holidays = two days you don't have to take as leave. Those airports clogged up with people aren't full of poor folk who can't afford Mound Stand tickets. 

Uh oh, four down for less than 100.

A first innings lead is by no means guaranteed at this rate. 
    Five down for less than a hundred.

Three bowlers who didn't play against the Windies largely did the job. The batsmen who didn't do the job against the Aussies and Windies largely haven't. 

Plus ca change... 
    100-7. I may cry.

Oh the irony if Parkinson rescues us with the bat. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

The ticket pricing is an interesting one because the cost of living is touted as the reason for empty seats. There's way more reasons than that. Compare this Test to the last time England held a Test at Lords in the pre-Covid days. 

Day 1 at Lords 2019 for the Ashes was £150 to sit in the Mound Stand (and sit I did with a friend as the rain came and went and came again all bloody day). Day 1 for the Mound Stand against NZ is £110. So if you approach the prices on a seat only basis then some of the seats are actually cheaper than they were three years ago. 

However, NZ is not an opponent that you can charge top rates for nor are they an opponent who bring big travelling support at the best of times. The hope therefore for MCC was to sell as many home fan tickets as possible and generally that pool of potential customers will come from the South because of the ruddy mental train train travel costs. Instead those folk have upped sticks and gone overseas,this is the first May half term since 2019 where people have been able to plan to and actually go away. Two bank holidays = two days you don't have to take as leave. Those airports clogged up with people aren't full of poor folk who can't afford Mound Stand tickets. 

My mate normally comes down to London for the Lords test.  The prices put him off this year.
    edited June 2022
    crunchman said:

My mate normally comes down to London for the Lords test.  The prices put him off this year.

How much does he normally pay? I'm really interested in like-for-like prices compared to 2019 Day 1 Ashes at Lords. Like I said, the Mound stand was £150 a pop then, £110 now, so it boils down into 'prices too expensive for this particular opponent'. 

crunchman said:

How much does he normally pay? I'm really interested in like-for-like prices compared to 2019 Day 1 Ashes at Lords. Like I said, the Mound stand was £150 a pop then, £110 now, so it boils down into 'prices too expensive for this particular opponent'. 

He didn't give me exact prices, but it's gone up a lot from what he has paid in the past.
    Anyone optimists think we will get within 100 runs of chasing down whatever NZ set us?
    crunchman said:
    Anyone optimists think we will get within 100 runs of chasing down whatever NZ set us?

Based on recent form it would take a huge optimist to suggest that we could chase down the lead they have at close of play today - 227.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Well. That's certainly not the start I expected!

I've been out and about this morning so I've been listening rather than watching.

This could be one of those games with one very good partnership and a whole lot of dross either side of it. 
    And the dross just keeps on coming. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • England's problem tomorrow is that Rooty has a habit of getting out cheaply when he's been 
    not out overnight. :s
    There's a fair bit of rain forecast for tomorrow. Doea it keep the bowlers fresh? Does it make it more difficult for batsmen to keep ging off and having to resume their innings?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    ROOOOOOOOOOOOT!   :)

Didn't expect that.
    crunchman said:
    Didn't expect that.
    After the first innings, no and even less so given that Lords has behaved as a number of NZ wickets do (sides shot out cheap innings 1 and 2, pitch gets better for batting as they go on). 

For all the praise NZ have had, there is the possibility that they peaked last year and we're now seeing a side on the slide. Two drawn series at home to Bangladesh and SA, a defeat here, Williamson's had injury problems, Taylor has gone, Tim Southee isn't getting any younger, Whatling was a real unsung part of their success over the last five years, a few inexperienced players coming in, a few trying to become the next bedrocks of the side. 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Key take out in this game.

Other than Potts, the old men did the job.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Away in Spain and my SkyGo not working - So only picked up the BBC messages - Seen a couple of 1 min video clips - What are the chances of scoring a  ton and 10,000 via the same shot - The only way he could have bettered that would have been doing it at Headingly, but Lords is a great place to do it as well - Top dog Jo 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Most impressive thing today I thought was the rate that Root & Foakes scored at straight away in order to get the runs before the new ball. Very impressive 
    Hmm. Win the toss, put the Kiwis in and they're almost 50-0 at drinks.