Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    The last half hour of that was like watching Shropshire in the minor counties.
      Overton and Mr Magoo at the other end. Another 50 taken off the England attack by a bloke 
    who a couple of years ago was playing for Wimbledon in Surrey Division 3. 
    Stokes out chirped by a club cricketer. FFS.  :s

But it was the same for both sides. Compare the two days session by session. First day 3 down by lunch, 8 wickets down by tea, 2 lost in the last session. Today: 3 wickets by lunch, 7 wickets down at tea, 1 lost in the final session. That's two days cricket where the seaming ball has gone quite dead by drinks in the afternoon session and the tail can play relatively comfortably. Windies should note that and not prolong things tomorrow. Personally I'd advocate batting, trying to put the lead up to 50 in 30 minutes, and then declare. With a seam heavy attack, they've got to maximise the sessions most conducive to seam bowling. 

As for the club cricketer, since his debut in 11 Dec 2020, he's played 14 Tests, 25 innings, 29.70 average, four half centuries.

Since 11 Dec 2020, England have used four Test wicketkeepers: Bairstow, Buttler, Foakes, Billings. Their collective average:

18 Tests, 33 innings (31 complete) 603 runs. 19.45. One half century. 

Big win for the club cricketer there :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes we seem to have wasted the new ball twice in one day.

Still not really sure what the selectors see in Overton, and Woakes has really struggled this series.

Safe to say W and O have done little to really push their case forward. The new ball session tonight was hideous. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 797
    edited March 2022
    Does Josh Da Silva's bat look legal? The edge appears thicker than 41mm with the overall thickness more than 11cm at the sweet spot, and may not pass through the ICC bat gauge.

https://i.imgur.com/wj5RrMf.jpg
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Rob Key approached to become next director of cricket (or applied, depending on what paper you read)

I think he’d be great - but is one of the best pundits so that’s a loss. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    Rob Key approached to become next director of cricket (or applied, depending on what paper you read)

I think he’d be great - but is one of the best pundits so that’s a loss. 

And Rob is another who favours reduced clubs and playing the County Championship alongside the Hundred. A sort of fan's choice but not first class cricket's choice. S'funny seeing some of the folk on Twitter who thought Atherton was all in favour of the counties as many of them had no memory/idea of his role in the Cricket Reform Group alongside Bob Willis in 2003 calling for a county reduction. 

edited March 2022
    As for the Test... absolute fucking shambles. JDS played wonderfully well as did Seales. England on the other hand were rank. One-dimensional, appalling behaviour on the pitch (enjoy life back at Somerset, Mr Overton. You're gone). I hope we lose, it's time to sack Joe Root, and I'd like Dan Lawrence in as captain on a long-term basis with full acceptance that he's learning very much on the job. Losing is one thing: losing whilst having some witless boorish bastards on the pitch is another.

*full marks to YJB for congratulating JDS on his ton as he walked off the pitch for the first time. 

And it gets worse. 

• chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Dan Lawrence shouldn’t even be in the side. He’s certainly not a 4.
    To be fair, add in Archer, Wood, Stone etc and we’d look a different side. Whoever picked Overton, Woakes for an away tour and Fisher should be sacked
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    There's something really enjoyable about watching this particular collection of England players get their arses handed to them.

Does serve to remind me of my frustration with the closed shop that is test cricket, though. England are on track for, what, one win in seventeen? but still get to pretend that the riff raff would drag the standard down. Its a nonsense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:
    Dan Lawrence shouldn’t even be in the side. He’s certainly not a 4.
    To be fair, add in Archer, Wood, Stone etc and we’d look a different side. Whoever picked Overton, Woakes for an away tour and Fisher should be sacked
    Yeah he should. He's got something to him. Fair from finished but worth persevering with, and it's not like there's anyone better. I agree, we'd look different if people with appalling injury records were fit (and it's saying something when Woody is the sturdy reliable one of that trio), but they are injured. 

Fact is, we've got a medium pacer in the form of Kyle Mayers whose match figures are 5 for 20 from 18 overs. We're being destroyed by the type of bowler county cricket is mocked for producing. We're not getting blasted by a Windies pace barrage. It's Scott Boland all over again. Batsmen 2 to 5 scored single digit figures in both innings and contributed a grand total of 34 runs in the game.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lawrence has a first class average in the mid 30s. Expecting him to be better against better bowlers is folly. As a Kent supporter, Crawley is doing what he’s done for us for a few seasons. You can’t expect players to suddenly change how they play when they get a test cap.

chris78 said:
    Lawrence has a first class average in the mid 30s. Expecting him to be better against better bowlers is folly. 

38.57 prior to this Test. So get away from the figures. Ollie Pope averages 50 in FC cricket and has a lower Test average than Lawrence. He's failed too. So it's a case of trying to identify people who might have the ability to adjust and improve in order to succeed in Test cricket. You get the freaks who just take it it (Tresco, Vaughan) without great FC figures. You get the greats like Lara and KP who just go blam. You also get a lot of the Aussies (S Waugh, Hayden) who come in, fail, and have to work hard at their game out of the side. 

chris78 said:
     As a Kent supporter, Crawley is doing what he’s done for us for a few seasons. You can’t expect players to suddenly change how they play when they get a test cap.

And I don't expect it, which is why I've spent fuck knows how many posts in this thread complaining like a deranged washing machine on Ketamine about the pisspoor player development we've had in this country going back a whole decade now. Crawley has ability and huge technical flaws. Dominic Sibley has ability and huge technical flaws. Rory Burns etc etc etc etc. 

And here we are, being trashed by a man bowling at 73mph. County cricket is slated for producing bowlers of this pace and yet here are our guys unable to handle it. 

• NorthernGoonerNorthernGooner Frets: 183
    edited March 2022
    I stand by my comments of yesterday, our bowlers couldn't get our a crap club wicketkeeper whose best scoring shot is to   flat bat  short pitched rubbish back past our  pie chuckers for four. England's main spinner is a Mr Magoo lookalike who looks like a sack of shit  and as if England have turned up at the ground and have asked anyone watching if they have their boots with them as they're one short.  Overton? a county  trundler..... taking wickets on a green top at Taunton  in April doesn't make you a test player. All of our young batsmen look like smug Rupert's from a good school. Millfield or  somewhere.
    Even our Yorkshire 'hardmen'  live on their laurels and don't produce the goods often enough. Root excepted. He must have sleepless nights  though he should never have been made captain.  I really think cricket is a dying game in England and the cupboard is bare. Few state schools play the game and unless you go to the right type of school or your parents play and are club members there is no way into the game.  The future is bleak.   :s
    I stand by my comments of yesterday, our bowlers couldn't get our a crap club wicketkeeper whose best scoring shot is to   flat bat  short pitched rubbish back past our  pie chuckers for four. England's main spinner is a Mr Magoo lookalike who looks like a sack of shit  and as if England have turned up at the ground and have asked anyone watching if they have their boots with them as they're one short.  Overton? a county  trundler..... taking wickets on a green top at Taunton  in April doesn't make you a test player. All of our young batsmen look like smug Rupert's from a good school. Millfield or  somewhere.

Stand by them all you like. Still don't make you right. 

• Well I think recent history and results will prove me right Statto...... :)
    edited March 2022
    Well I think recent history and results will prove me right Statto......

That's the fun of being the self-appointed judge of a crap argument. 

BUT! You're right on the failing. Wrong about some bits. Right about the failing. I think we're agreed on the fact we're fucking up and the bleak nature of the future. Quite right there, sir. 

chris78 said:
    Lawrence has a first class average in the mid 30s. Expecting him to be better against better bowlers is folly. 

38.57 prior to this Test. So get away from the figures. Ollie Pope averages 50 in FC cricket and has a lower Test average than Lawrence. He's failed too. So it's a case of trying to identify people who might have the ability to adjust and improve in order to succeed in Test cricket. You get the freaks who just take it it (Tresco, Vaughan) without great FC figures. You get the greats like Lara and KP who just go blam. You also get a lot of the Aussies (S Waugh, Hayden) who come in, fail, and have to work hard at their game out of the side. 

chris78 said:
     As a Kent supporter, Crawley is doing what he’s done for us for a few seasons. You can’t expect players to suddenly change how they play when they get a test cap.

And I don't expect it, which is why I've spent fuck knows how many posts in this thread complaining like a deranged washing machine on Ketamine about the pisspoor player development we've had in this country going back a whole decade now. Crawley has ability and huge technical flaws. Dominic Sibley has ability and huge technical flaws. Rory Burns etc etc etc etc. 

And here we are, being trashed by a man bowling at 73mph. County cricket is slated for producing bowlers of this pace and yet here are our guys unable to handle it. 

Unfortunately, Pope fails between the ears. Technically, he should average over 40 in test cricket.

Agree about the county game. Crawley won’t have been helped by the Canterbury wicket, which has been substandard for as long as I can remember. It suits us because our attack is bang average, but they’re world beaters on that surface. 

Unfortunately, most of our batsmen can’t face 73mph bowlers. Stevo doesn’t bowl that fast and he’s been averaging under 20 with the ball for a long time now
    chris78 said:
    Unfortunately, Pope fails between the ears. Technically, he should average over 40 in test cricket.

Agree about the county game. Crawley won’t have been helped by the Canterbury wicket, which has been substandard for as long as I can remember. It suits us because our attack is bang average, but they’re world beaters on that surface. 

Unfortunately, most of our batsmen can’t face 73mph bowlers. Stevo doesn’t bowl that fast and he’s been averaging under 20 with the ball for a long time now
    The fundamentals of the game are wrong. I was looking at the youth fixtures for my old county yesterday. From some fixtures, it's a three-day affair. First day are two T20 games, then a two-day game. One of the arguments in the professional ranks is to have blocks of a specific format so you don't get the jump from T20 on a Monday to longer format on a Tuesday, yet this is what is being provided at youth levels. 

Ah well. When thermonuclear war breaks out, all this won't matter. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    There's nothing wrong with test cricket that coloured clothing, a white ball, much shorter innings, boundaries in by fifty yards, and loads of overseas players won't fix.

Oh, hang on a minute.

We tried that.

We're fucked.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    We need to identify players with a bit of fight about them, even if they are less talented than some of the current lot.
    We need people who can play a forward defensive stroke.
    scrumhalf said:
    We need people who can play a forward defensive stroke.

A lot of them can play it, but they choose to waft at balls they should be leaving.
    Windies need 28 to win.

I've a feeling that we might not win this one.
    Statement made with Overton not getting the new ball. Absolutely the right decision for how he was on the pitch yesterday. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited April 2022 tFB Trader
    Joe Root stands down - More to follow - not sure who will replace him

Hope he stays around for many years as a batsman and keeps on scoring many more runs 

It was inevitable for him to step down - As a Yorkshire fan etc then I love the guy but he was never a good captain, certainly with regards to tactics and game plan - But to be fair he has not had a great team with/behind him - Good luck to him for the rest of his England and Yorkshire career

edited April 2022
    Root has stepped down.

Not sure who they should give it to.

Stokes might be good, but would be a huge gamble.  Broad might be a good short term option, but would probably waste all the reviews in his opening spell.  Not sure who else could do it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Root has stepped down.

Not sure who they should give it to.

Stokes might be good, but would be a huge gamble.  Broad might be a good short term option, but would probably waste all the reviews in his opening spell.  Not sure who else could do it.
    Agree in that I don't know who will get the job - But my gut says no to Ben - To many injuries, time off, plus his court case 4 years ago still does not sit right IMO - He does not 'interview' well either 

Think it needs to be someone who will still be part of the team set-up/structure for 4-6 years as we re-build - But no obvious candidates 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    There is certainly no outstanding candidate.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    I find this strange, given they made 'outstanding progress' in the West Indies.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Gis’ it Broady til end of season. They’ll kick the can down the road for a year. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials