Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Over 500 runs in one day - 4 hundreds and good to see another Yorkshire lad joining the party - Looks a good prospect 

Apparently first time 500 runs scored on the opening day of a test match and Crawley scores the quickest 100 by an English opener

Not seen any coverage yet, just picked up some commentary and BBC reports so will dial in later for a hi light show
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Babar Azam must be rubbing his hands with glee in expectation at batting on this wicket.

As ever, we'll only know how good England's batting has been when both teams have batted. However, 500 in a day is some effort. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Has all the makings of a high scoring bore draw.  We need pitches that give the bowlers a chance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    600 plays 600, yawn.
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    600 plays 600, yawn.
    yes I think a draw is on the way
    My draw prediction didn't take into account a stupid declaration.  I think we will get away with it, but it could be tight.  We have 2 reviews left to take a few minutes out of the game before the light closes in.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Drinks break, toilet break - can't we book 'em for time-wasting?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 177
    Great morning making work more bareable!
    tFB Trader
    England certainly making test match cricket into a thriller/box office top draw - And most of wickets so far by the Son's - Time might go against us
    tFB Trader
    Job done - Will check later but believe this test has given us the highest number of aggregate runs in a 5 day test match 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Amazing win. And that despite losing Livingstone and only picking three pace bowlers.
    I still think the declaration was 20 minutes too early.  If Pakistan had batted a bit better we would have lost.
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 177
    Unbelievable match!!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited December 2022
    BREAKING NEWS : The real reason Anderson got so much hoop in second dig....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchman said:
    I still think the declaration was 20 minutes too early.  If Pakistan had batted a bit better we would have lost.
    And then perhaps England would have run out of time?

Forcing the issue and asking the question  are you good enough... made for a great final day.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 797
    Bloody 'ell . . . I thought that England declared too early and would lose the match!!!

Stokes must be a talisman as the new captain.
    Like the old days.  Collapsing against a leg spinner.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Like the old days.  Collapsing against a leg spinner.
    Looked like he was on for a full house at one stage 
    The look on Stokes' face as he was clean bowled was priceless.

I think that we were about 100 runs light in the end.

What I don't understand is that if a test match is played in a place where a full day's play is unlikely then why not play it over six days and have a better chance of a result. 
    tFB Trader
    They like to create box office drama these days - Another close encounter but well done lads - Hope Brooks can continue to progress and cement a place in the team 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    There have been a lot of times where I’ve though “they’ve got that wrong” with declarations, approach to batting, weird field settings.
    Turns out I know nothing. Well done to the management and captain
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    I'm not really a T20 fan, but I've just watched (on TV) the Adelaide Strikers bowl the Sydney Thunder out for 15. Yes, 15. At one stage they were bowling to 3 slips and a gully. Never seen that in T20 before.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    pigface said:
    I'm not really a T20 fan, but I've just watched (on TV) the Adelaide Strikers bowl the Sydney Thunder out for 15. Yes, 15. At one stage they were bowling to 3 slips and a gully. Never seen that in T20 before.

Yue first thought would be "someone's fixed that" but looking at how the wickets fell you couldn't voluntarily nick that many catches behind, could you?
    England have been very very good again this morning on another road. 
    tFB Trader
    I have to admit I know nothing about Ahmed - But sounds interesting/promising and rare for England to give a debut to a teenager , so good news all round
    tFB Trader
    What a series for Brooks - Harry Brook is just the sixth man to score three or more hundreds in his first four Tests.

The others are George Headley, Arthur Morris, Conrad Hunte and Sunil Gavaskar and Mohammad Azharuddin.

How does J Bairstow get back in the side next summer

Does Brook have the technique to bat 3?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    What a series for Brooks - Harry Brook is just the sixth man to score three or more hundreds in his first four Tests.

The others are George Headley, Arthur Morris, Conrad Hunte and Sunil Gavaskar and Mohammad Azharuddin.

How does J Bairstow get back in the side next summer

Crawley back to his usual 
    Root not getting any runs 
    Everything England touch turn to gold.
    Some debut from an 18 year kid who bowled very very well after being made to wait.
    As for Crawley, 235 runs at 40. I'm not his biggest fan, even though I'm from Kent, but give the guy a break. Comment above on Root is outright ridiculous
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Root has a 73, 23, 21, 8, and 0.  When others are scoring centuries. 

Irrespective of what he has done before, that’s not a great run of runs.