Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). XL Bully Dogs......... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Chihuahuas were originally bred for food, not as verminators.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    Sprocket tried to catch a duck once, but hadn't appreciated that ducks float and these ones were on water. I like to think she realised her mistake mid-air.

It's quite tricky getting a particularly dim sheepdog out of a canal.

What's worse is after you have removed the dim sheepdog from the canal you then also need to remove the canal from the dim sheepdog.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Sassafras said:
    Chihuahuas were originally bred for food, not as verminators.
    Not much meat on one of them
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • yocky said:
    Penn said:
    So you’re for more Bully XL?

I'm against banning any dog based off of it's breed,

You're right. Maybe it would be more effective to pay for therapy to address whatever is lacking in the owner's life to require the presence of a huge powerful dog, and why they feel entitled to inflict the increased risks on the neighbouring population.

The same can easily be said about people who buy herding dogs, live in apartments and don't ''work'' them, how many people own Border Collies that have never been within 100 yards of a sheep yet alone seen one.  Or people who buy flat faced dogs. or the deformed ''show line'' German shepherd.  How about police and military dogs, by definition these dogs are trained to be not just dangerous dogs, but very dangerous dogs, they don't get put down when retired, the get rehomed, generally with their handlers and family, though not always.

When I was very young, it was German shepherds, rottweilers and dobermans that where always in the papers and news labeled as ''devil dogs'', ''evil dogs'', ''demon dogs'', ''dogs for chavs and thugs'', and ''drug dealers breed of choice'' as I got older it changed to the Staffie and American Pit Bull Terrier that where in the papers and news labeled as ''devil dogs'', ''evil dogs'', ''demon dogs'', ''dogs for chavs and thugs'', and ''drug dealers breed of choice''.  Now it's the XL Bully, what will it be next week, or year?  This is something that is being blown way way out of proportion, especially considering the numbers involved, yes every fatality and injury caused by a dog is a tragedy, here the thing that gets me though, on average 2-9 people a year will die in the UK due to bee stings, now from 2001 until 2021 69 people where killed by dogs - that averages out at 3.3 people a year that's a third of the number of people who will be killed this year by bee stings, surely if this was really about saving lives, 1, We would not be able to own these dogs with a license or not they would be banned outright with no loop holes to own them legally, 2, We would be focused and looking at something that kills more than, lets just round it up to 4, people a year, say like bees rather than dogs - and that 69 people killed by dogs between 2001 and 2021 is not just one breed of dog it has representatives from just about every breed even breeds people would not believe had the physical strength nor size to kill a small child.

This makes for some interesting reading, especially the breed of dogs responsible for the fatalities:  List of fatal dog attacks in the United Kingdom.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I seem to recall from a previous thread (about the beastly police murdering innocent dogs) that somebody mentioned how easily you could gain control of a vicious dog by poking your finger up it's arse.  The details are a bit hazy in my memory because the thought of this was quite distasteful, especially if you were to lick your fingers afterwards, but the person that supplied the details of the trick appeared to have been speaking from extensive experience of fingering vicious dogs' rectums.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    ^ Not so sure about "poodles,they're gun dogs, specifically for shooting water fowl."
    I like standard poodles & think they make great retrievers, particularly in waterlands, but even they would admit they are lousy shots...

That's what the standard poodle was originally bred for, to retrieve shot water fowl.  I know a few people who breed them for exactly this, and know people who use them as gun dogs, much better than a retriever especially when the dog is expected to get wet often and for long periods of time.
    Are you confusing them with Irish Water Spaniels ?
    ......a breed that looks very similar 
    Possibly not but there must be a great similarity
    Doesn't matter because you can train most breeds to do any of the working dog tasks .........maybe just not as naturally adaept
  • BillDL said:
    I seem to recall from a previous thread (about the beastly police murdering innocent dogs) that somebody mentioned how easily you could gain control of a vicious dog by poking your finger up it's arse.  The details are a bit hazy in my memory because the thought of this was quite distasteful, especially if you were to lick your fingers afterwards, but the person that supplied the details of the trick appeared to have been speaking from extensive experience of fingering vicious dogs' rectums.
    Mate. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    BillDL said:
    I cannot get this scenario out of my mind.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    edited September 2023

This makes for some interesting reading, especially the breed of dogs responsible for the fatalities:  List of fatal dog attacks in the United Kingdom.
    10 deaths last year. 5 this year. 75% were there result of an American Bully attack
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    BillDL said:
    Some people are into strange things. 

Edit: adds a new meaning to dogging. 

• Offset said:
    BillDL said:

It's a Frank Skinner routine. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Later comments in this thread about where to put fingers into canines remind me of this scene from Still Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKOXtKvNSss

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744

It does make for interesting reading, not sure about your data analysis though.

Fatal dog attacks were indeed running at about 3 a year in the UK until very recently. By comparison there are on average about 40 per year in the US. That's more than double the rate per capita in the US. One of these countries had nationwide BSL and one didn't.

Then starting in 2021 the UK rate has shot up, overtaking the US rate per capita, and guess what type of dog seems to have made up all the difference? Yep, our friends the Bully. So we're back to square one which does obviously raise questions about the absolute effectiveness of BSL but let's not pretend that it hasn't led to better outcomes in the UK than the US until just recently. And let's stop the gaslighting about how "all dogs can bite" and "cocker rage". Some of these dogs are responsible for a completely outsized number of attacks compared to their population, and the outcomes of those attacks are clearly worse than usual - so it's perfectly reasonable to question whether what is effectively a lifestyle choice should be so potentially difficult for everyone else.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    Haych said:
    Later comments in this thread about where to put fingers into canines remind me of this scene from Still Game.

Video Link
    Cheers for that @Haych ; I think that's where I must have picked up the concept rather than from a dog control expert describing the procedure in a previous thread here.
  • Whelp Man attacked by two dogs near school in Stonnall dies - BBC News

No matter what you think it is just sad.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Dominic said:
    ^ Not so sure about "poodles,they're gun dogs, specifically for shooting water fowl."
    I like standard poodles & think they make great retrievers, particularly in waterlands, but even they would admit they are lousy shots...

That's what the standard poodle was originally bred for, to retrieve shot water fowl.  I know a few people who breed them for exactly this, and know people who use them as gun dogs, much better than a retriever especially when the dog is expected to get wet often and for long periods of time.
    Are you confusing them with Irish Water Spaniels ?
    ......a breed that looks very similar 
    Possibly not but there must be a great similarity
    Doesn't matter because you can train most breeds to do any of the working dog tasks .........maybe just not as naturally adaept
    Nope, @CavemanGrogg was spot on. Poodles (Standard) are an old type of gun dog/retriever & are 'proper' dogs, unlike their miniature, rheumy eyed, neurotic, yappy cousins. * Apologies to miniature poodle owners, but I have never met one I could like.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Bully XL to be banned by the end of the year:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66818862

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    BillDL said:
    Haych said:

Video Link
    Cheers for that @Haych ; I think that's where I must have picked up the concept rather than from a dog control expert describing the procedure in a previous thread here.
    @BillDL, I've heard the same thing from multiple sources/people over the years (and clearly I'm not alone) so maybe there is some truth in it.  I do not volunteer to test the theory, mind!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Dodge said:
    Bully XL to be banned by the end of the year:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66818862

What will happen to dogs currently in ownership?  And what about the other three variants (standard, pocket, classic)?  They might be smaller but they'll have the same temperament, surely?
  • Dodge said:

usual knee jerk reaction which will fix fuck all. 
  • Tories will say anything to stay in power, they deliver sweet FA though
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• The owners, the owners, the owners x 100. They should introduce a test which owners have to pass, to see if they can be responsible pet owners (and parents!)
    Latest News ...........looks like they are about to be banned 
    2 of them just killed a man in Staffordshire and that was the last straw
  • Offset said:
    Dodge said:

What will happen to dogs currently in ownership?
    If it works like the previous legislation there will be a list of exempted dogs, and owners of dogs born before a certain date will be able to apply to have their dog put on the list.
    Shame .........I just saw one of the things an hour ago .......typical 25 year old hoodie Road Man stinking of weed getting it out of a chavved up BMW 1.40i  and trying to take it into a smart Brasserie in Cockfosters
    They look extremely nasty as a couple
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Dominic said:
    I didn't think the breed of dog in that attack had been determined 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    I just read it was 2 Bullies but maybe that's just because they are topical 
  • Dominic said:
    I just read it was 2 Bullies but maybe that's just because they are topical 
    You rub them on your skin?

Sorry, nurse joke. 
  • tony99 said:
    Dominic said:
    I didn't think the breed of dog in that attack had been determined 
    Quote:

"Staffordshire Police say the two dogs involved in a fatal attack in Stonnall are believed to be XL bully dogs.

One of the dogs has died after being restrained and the other has died after an injection was given by a vet, police confirm.

"Further tests are being carried out today to determine their breed," they say in a statement."

Sounds like they were Bully XLs but because the breed is not entirely defined they are being circumspect until they are confirmed.

• Interesting take from a dog behaviorist, who doesn't believe in breed specific legislation and that dog agression is not necessarily inherent to a particular breed:-

The American XL Bully Dog | Doglistener