Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). XL Bully Dogs......... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• Reverend said:
    Has it actually been confirmed its an XL Bully or is it just the MSM doing their thing of blaming before confirming ? 

either way, tragic , and the owner should be on a manslaughter charge 
    The police have said they 'believe' it was an XL bully. They wouldn't say this unless they were almost certain of it. They just use the word 'believe' to cover their backs on the slim offchance that the dog turns out to be a different breed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Reverend said:
    Has it actually been confirmed its an XL Bully or is it just the MSM doing their thing of blaming before confirming ? 

The police have said they 'believe' it was an XL bully. They wouldn't say this unless they were almost certain of it. They just use the word 'believe' to cover their backs on the slim offchance that the dog turns out to be a different breed.
    They said that a couple of times before when there was the big thing about Akitas being the most dangerous dog imaginable in the press - they "believe it was an Akita", when it was actually a GSD. Same when there was a spate of huskies being left alone with kids and biting - turned out to be GSDs a couple of times.

So yeah, they do say it even when they don't know. In the above cases, the cynical amongst us might've thought it's because the police use GSDs, so it's less of a PR hassle if the first stories in the press (ie the ones getting the most attention) don't prompt calls for GSDs to be banned.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 675
    edited October 2023

FYI there is a video of the poor guy who was attacked and died the other day. I've not watched it for obvious reasons but from the comments he was trying to protect his elderly mother who he was out for a walk with. There were a couple of older gentlemen with a stick and a wheelie bin attempting to help but couldn't do much.
    I've seen it. The biggest problem with the mooted ban is that they're talking about compulsory neutering and muzzling, which relies upon both the honesty and the competence of their owners. Bearing in mind that they're almost exclusively owned by 'lip filler and weed' trash who would probably score lower on an IQ test than the dogs themselves, I don't see that as enough at all. @Dominic probably got it right with the defanging-or-euthanasia choice, but I can't help but feel it would be better to just cut straight to the latter option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited October 2023
    Is there any reason why this can't be resolved by putting a short lead and a muzzle law for any dog that is considered to be a dangerous breed, including those little annoying yappy things that seem to attack everything, and any have designated long lead areas at certain times in parks for those dogs on steroids and off lead times for the ones that are reasonable? 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Making laws is one thing, enforcing them is another as is punishment should the law not be precise.

The simpler the law, the better. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I don't know if anyone caught BBC coverage of the rally in London held in support of these mutts.  Some of the owners were interviewed...

All of my preconceptions about the type of person who'd want to own one of these dogs were pretty much validated I'm afraid.  It was like watching vegetable soup being stirred.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Was this the rally where they had to tell their owners not to bring any XL Bullies?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalf said:
    Making laws is one thing, enforcing them is another as is punishment should the law not be precise.

The simpler the law, the better. 
    I can’t see the police having time to enforce the law until after someone has been attacked 
    I can’t imagine them having specific patrols looking out for these dogs . 

Best thing is blanket bans on all large vicious dogs and tight regulations on others 
      Plus some sort of license/test  and even then you’ve still got to enforce it .
      Imagine a big no go estate ,someone reports a dog , the owners hide it away in someone else’s gaff til the heat dies off .  There’s kids out causing all sorts of trouble that can’t be controlled now we’ve got dogs too 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Offset said:
    I don't know if anyone caught BBC coverage of the rally in London held in support of these mutts.  Some of the owners were interviewed...

All of my preconceptions about the type of person who'd want to own one of these dogs were pretty much validated I'm afraid.  It was like watching vegetable soup being stirred.
    In all fairness, I have seen a couple of interviews with couples on TV with these dogs, and they were just normal, nice working people. I'm sure that there are a lot of undesirables with them, but there are also 'regular' owners. One couple was having help in training their dog to get used to a muzzle.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Reverend said:

They said that a couple of times before when there was the big thing about Akitas being the most dangerous dog imaginable in the press - they "believe it was an Akita", when it was actually a GSD. Same when there was a spate of huskies being left alone with kids and biting - turned out to be GSDs a couple of times.

So yeah, they do say it even when they don't know. In the above cases, the cynical amongst us might've thought it's because the police use GSDs, so it's less of a PR hassle if the first stories in the press (ie the ones getting the most attention) don't prompt calls for GSDs to be banned.
    You were saying?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67015811
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    axisus said:
    Offset said:

In all fairness, I have seen a couple of interviews with couples on TV with these dogs, and they were just normal, nice working people. I'm sure that there are a lot of undesirables with them, but there are also 'regular' owners. One couple was having help in training their dog to get used to a muzzle.
    I'm sure there are exceptions as there always are in all walks of life.  I've just yet to see any :-)

I'm just perplexed as to why someone would choose to own a breed with a poor reputation and such deliberately aggressive looks.
  • Reverend said:

You were saying?
    I was saying about the UK police, who - unless I'm mistaken - don't regularly talk to the press about the White House ;)

In the case of the Bidens' dog...that poor dog has been thrust into an environment where he's clearly stressed, and for his own good should've been removed at the first sign of it, not the 11th. That's poor ownership, effectively setting him up to fail constantly.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Reverend said:

You were saying?
    I was saying about the UK police, who - unless I'm mistaken - don't regularly talk to the press about the White House ;)

In the case of the Bidens' dog...that poor dog has been thrust into an environment where he's clearly stressed, and for his own good should've been removed at the first sign of it, not the 11th. That's poor ownership, effectively setting him up to fail constantly.
    Yes, he's a young rescue dog that is clearly unhappy in that environment, isn't getting any stability, is stressed out & reacting accordingly.Not the dog's fault. I was just amused at on the co-incidence of  the GSD publicity angle.
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    edited October 2023
    axisus said:
    Offset said:

You might get  some posh looking normal families who own them, from my observations a few weekends ago in Liverpool City centre, plus some of the estates near me, there vast majority of people who own these dogs are thicko dickheads who have them as a visual prize.

Just ban and euthanize all these killer dog breeds.there isn't a 'needn't have one that outweighs innocent peoples right tongo about their daily busy safely. Its not that different to banning hand guns.