Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). XL Bully Dogs......... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot

Comments

• I’m guessing the type of folk who breed these monstrosities aren’t in the top quartile of law-abiders in society and I would speculate that their owners aren’t either. 

I don’t think any mandatory chipping/ licensing etc etc will work as they’re probably all back-street breeders flogging the pups of these things on the dark web. This will also make prosecution for owners tricky as defining ownership could be hard to prove.
    That's not really an argument against changing the law, though. I mean...no kind of criminal is the kind to obey the law, that's kind of the point, but we still have those laws to deal with them.

Backyard breeders these days mostly advertise online, and it's very difficult to successfully breed dogs without a relatively wide gene pool, so if the numbers drop to only those people who're advertising by word of mouth (which, at this point, addresses a bigger customer base than the dark web in this country) then the problem has already been 99% solved.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    BillDL said:
    Somebody, and maybe also others, mentioned earlier about underestimating the damage that any dog of an appreciable size is capable of inflicting.  .................  If I hadn't been able to stay on my feet I am sure one or both of them would have torn my throat out.
    So true......don't underestimate any dog,
    As a kid of 12 years old I was playing on my bike in the park when a smallish dog attacked me.....it was a small mongrel Collie type cross the size of a Spaniel . It pulled me off my bike as I tried to cycle away and attacked me ; it bit me about 10 times ;amongst the worst bites were a torn hole in the back of my thigh almost big enough to put a golf ball in , 2 fingers shredded to the bone and small chunk out of my calf .
     You would never think it could do anything more than a nasty nip.
    Nothing compared to the devastation a Fighting type dog could do.
    I totally agree that it's about the owner and not the dog ; I totally agree with those who stand on this argument because it is a fact  BUT  that isn't a gold ticket guarantee ......that's 97% of the time .Some things like ;
    Certain medications , tools ,Exotic Pets etc  etc are banned (or very rigidly controlled ) lest they fall into the wrong hands or are misused and concensus is that this is a very reasonable precaution.......it protects the public at large against that 3% margin for error .I don't see what is any different here .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Surely all dogs should be banned, and people can have pet ocelots instead. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Your latest distraction. There's massive murderous dogs everywhere. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I’m guessing the type of folk who breed these monstrosities aren’t in the top quartile of law-abiders in society and I would speculate that their owners aren’t either. 

I don’t think any mandatory chipping/ licensing etc etc will work as they’re probably all back-street breeders flogging the pups of these things on the dark web. This will also make prosecution for owners tricky as defining ownership could be hard to prove.
    That's not really an argument against changing the law, though. I mean...no kind of criminal is the kind to obey the law, that's kind of the point, but we still have those laws to deal with them.

Backyard breeders these days mostly advertise online, and it's very difficult to successfully breed dogs without a relatively wide gene pool, so if the numbers drop to only those people who're advertising by word of mouth (which, at this point, addresses a bigger customer base than the dark web in this country) then the problem has already been 99% solved.
    Agree.

It will never happen but I wouldn't be against mandatory training for dog owners with the ability to disqualify people who are deemed unsuitable for ownership, as with driving, gun ownership etc.
    But given police aren't turning up to actual crimes at the moment it is a pipe dream.

I have owned large breeds- Bulldog, Boxer/American Bulldog cross and currently have a Bernese Mountain Dog (Holly).
    The latter is a total sweetheart. She is still a big dog with the ability to cause actual harm in the wrong circumstances.

One day my wife was walking her off lead in the woods (we live in rural Oxon) and Holly turned and ran at a chicken that had got out of its pen.
    She picked it up in her mouth and injured it so much that it had to be killed- she didn't do this intentionally, she is just a big dog with big teefs. She was young at the time and was just 'playing'.

Janet was mortified and we compensated the owner but you just have to be aware of what a dog can do and what they are designed to do, really.
    Never alone with children, never off leash in places where it could be a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Reverend said:
    Surely all dogs should be banned, and people can have pet ocelots instead. 
    I had a neighbour years ago who had 2 Servals and Capuccin Monkeys ( the monkeys were really nasty things )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    I've never had a dog.

Greyhounds that race in the UK have tattooed ears.

Dogs in Denmark have to have tattooed ears or a microchip, be registered by 8 weeks old and the owners must have dog liability insurance.

They also have banned breeds.

A Danish fella I worked with, his missus was a postie in rural Jutland.  Dog bite meant you had to get a rabies jab and he said that was not pleasant.

Can't see the point of an XL Bully, can't see why they should be allowed.
  • 1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The media tend to amplify things in such a way it takes over national news narratives. I'm weary of the cost-benefit of the attention and resource dedicated to this issue in the middle of X number of issues plaguing the country simultaneously.

Let's say we get rid of all 10 million UK dogs - what's the impact?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danishbacon said:
    You can walk in a park in bare feet? 
    But seriously what's the point of making up a number like 10 million? The real number of terror dogs is a thousandth of that.

As a kid we had a boxer, lovely dog, one day the milkman's boy assistant came in for payment. The dog was always removed from the kitchen for that but this day it went wrong and my god he went for this lad leaping at him, jumping up, barking and snapping teeth.
    Thank god the boy had worked in a kennels and knew the thing to do was stand stock still, hands tight by his side. I doubt that would work with these obnoxious breeds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 265
    1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The media tend to amplify things in such a way it takes over national news narratives. I'm weary of the cost-benefit of the attention and resource dedicated to this issue in the middle of X number of issues plaguing the country simultaneously.

Broadly agree with this, but when you live on a street where neighbours have several of these dogs, untrained and beyond their physical capacity to control, the overall stats aren't very comforting when you're out with your primary-aged child and 8kg cockapoo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

the ocelot industry gets a massive boost, for oen. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    edited September 2023

Under 4. But there were ten last year. Five this year so far. In the last three years 75% of the deaths recorded were the result of an American Bully 
  • Reverend said:

I’m fairly sure the cat you’ve made friends with recently isn’t an Ocelot.  

You need a licence for an Ocelot so might as well go the full hog and get a Lion - which are also legal to own with the correct licence.  
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited September 2023
    barnstorm said:
    Genuine question. Whatever happened to bans on the systematic physical mutilation of dogs for fashion purposes?
    A lot of photos I have been able to find relating to the 'breed', involves dogs with cut/trimmed ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66775985
    Still legal to import them with the procedure already performed, sadly. But also, and indeed mainly: the bastards who breed them don't give a shit about the law.

The common excuse given by owners when questioned on this by vets is that it was already done when they got it.   Many will claim its a rescue dog, and they saved it in that condition.  Some will occasionally claim there was another issue that meant it had to be done for the good of the dog.

It's harder to make any of those claims when they take it in because its freshly chopped ears are bleeding, but some will.  Amazingly, my wife had one owner try this after they have just phoned round every vet trying to find one that would do it for them, and kicking off at every single one for refusing.  They decided to do it themselves.

Edit.   Obviously a lot of these sort of breed do end up in rescue, so not all such claims are false..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    WezV said:
    barnstorm said:
    Genuine question. Whatever happened to bans on the systematic physical mutilation of dogs for fashion purposes?
    A lot of photos I have been able to find relating to the 'breed', involves dogs with cut/trimmed ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66775985
    Still legal to import them with the procedure already performed, sadly. But also, and indeed mainly: the bastards who breed them don't give a shit about the law.

The common excuse given by owners when questioned on this by vets is that it was already done when they got it.   Many will claim its a rescue dog, and they saved it in that condition.  Some will occasionally claim there was another issue that meant it had to be done for the good of the dog.

It's harder to make any of those claims when they take it in because its freshly chopped ears are bleeding, but some will.  Amazingly, my wife had one owner try this after they have just phoned round every vet trying to find one that would so it for them, and kicking off at every single one for refusing.  They decided to do it themselves.

FFS... that catastrophic asteroid wipeout I was once worried about, is now looking fine by me if the alternative is having to share a planet with bastards capable of such actions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Unfortunately they live amongst us.
  • 1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The thread is specifically about the American Bully XL.   The media are mainly focused on that breed also, which shows statistically a disproportionate amount of attacks on people with disproportionately negative outcomes.

Since it’s introduction to the uk around 2015, and big increase in popularity during lockdown, there has been a spike in the number of dog attacks, heavily increased by this breed.

The mean number of deaths being 4 is not statistically interesting, it’s the jump to double figures in the last few years is.

I think more people buying dogs in lockdown didn’t help, but neither did the introduction of this breed.

Do we really need this breed in the UK?
    It’s not the biggest danger most people face on a day to day basis, but it’s an unnecessary one some people in their vicinity do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited September 2023
    The problem is nearly always the owner. Start there. Maybe cull the owners.
    That would be an added bonus
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Okay this is a strange coincidence but there's a guy, seperate from the little woman who now has three of them, who also has two of these dogs and he takes them for a walk around 10pm every night and lets them off their leash. He's now walking round the estate with one dog shouting for the second dog because he's lost it. He's going FFS FAM, FUCKING DOGS, WHERE ARE YA FUCKING DOG.

You let it off the lead you moron???

I say all dog owners should be licenced, and if you're obviously a twat like this guy you can't have one and this kind of breed should be limited to whatever they're meant to be used for. Hunting T Rex's or whatever. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334

Banning a breed or type of dog will never change the situation, they will just move onto a different breed or type. It was Rotties, it was Dobermen, It was Staffies  before the XL Bully 

Meh.. those mutts are only a gateway pet for proper 'ardlads ..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Okay this is a strange coincidence but there's a guy, seperate from the little woman who now has three of them, who also has two of these dogs and he takes them for a walk around 10pm every night and lets them off their leash. He's now walking round the estate with one dog shouting for the second dog because he's lost it. He's going FFS FAM, FUCKING DOGS, WHERE ARE YA FUCKING DOG.

I say all dog owners should be licenced, and if you're obviously a twat like this guy you can't have one and this kind of breed should be limited to whatever they're meant to be used for. Hunting T Rex's or whatever. 
    Not advocating cruelty to dogs, but I'd be feeling tempted to wait until the muppet was walking his dogs & then pulling a 'Trainspotting' Sickboy with an airgun scenario ...
  • Perhaps owners should take absolute responsibility for the actions of their dogs, and if the dog does something that would be a criminal offence if a human did it, then that's what they should be charged with: Littering, criminal damage, animal cruelty, GBH, attempted murder and so forth. 
    Perhaps owners should take absolute responsibility for the actions of their dogs, and if the dog does something that would be a criminal offence if a human did it, then that's what they should be charged with: Littering, criminal damage, animal cruelty, GBH, attempted murder and so forth. 
    I'm not so sure about that.........
     I caught one of my Dachshunds on the dark web organising a Neo-Fascist Subversive group ;it was shameful ;
     Hate speech about Foxes , planned attacks on Badger Dens and a terrible intolerance of Gender Neutered Dogs .
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    AK99 said:

Banning a breed or type of dog will never change the situation, they will just move onto a different breed or type. It was Rotties, it was Dobermen, It was Staffies  before the XL Bully 

Meh.. those mutts are only a gateway pet for proper 'ardlads ..

I think that's pretty much only Peckham and Catford
  • What's the problem, the hyenas are muzzled? ;)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    RobDavies said:
    Reverend said:

I’m fairly sure the cat you’ve made friends with recently isn’t an Ocelot.  

You need a licence for an Ocelot so might as well go the full hog and get a Lion - which are also legal to own with the correct licence.  
    she is more of an ocelittle
  • Okay this is a strange coincidence but there's a guy, seperate from the little woman who now has three of them, who also has two of these dogs and he takes them for a walk around 10pm every night and lets them off their leash. He's now walking round the estate with one dog shouting for the second dog because he's lost it. He's going FFS FAM, FUCKING DOGS, WHERE ARE YA FUCKING DOG.

Not advocating cruelty to dogs, but I'd be feeling tempted to wait until the muppet was walking his dogs & then pulling a 'Trainspotting' Sickboy with an airgun scenario ...
    Often we have these idiots on the estate and they eventually move on because their anti social behaviour leads to them being kicked out. I have to say I am genuinely threatened by all these huge, muscular dogs running loose around our roads, with owners who can't control them, or appear to be of low intelligence and/or moral integrity. I have a young child, he wants to play out and then there's a huge dog in the playground. I just won't take him down there now, it's not safe. 

My wife was hanging some washing out the other day and my son is playing in the play area next to the lines, and this Bully comes bounding round the corner into the play area, and my wife drops the shopping and calmly takes my son back towards the building. The owner comes round the corner shouting IT'S OKAY HE'S HARMLESS HONESTLY. Is it though? And if you were a responsible owner you'd know that this is not okay. 

It's a real issue because it seems that the only people who want these dogs are people who have no business being dog owners. So the only option is to ban them, or make it very difficult for people to have dogs like this and make punishment for non licenced ownership very severe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    What's the problem, the hyenas are muzzled? ;)
    Those are licensed ones - part of the Security Patrol service. Clearly not on duty yet..
    AK99 said:
    What's the problem, the hyenas are muzzled? ;)
    Those are licensed ones - part of the Security Patrol service. Clearly not on duty yet..
    I thought it was because they were having a laugh...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter