Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The F1 thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The F1 thread

What's Hot
1510511512513514516»

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Well that was fun Lewis...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Brio said:
    Well that was fun Lewis...
    What a dick move that was. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Big LH fan here - agree that there was no need for that.  Plenty of opportunity in what will be a mixed-up race wit the tyre limits.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 331
    I knew something stupid was going to happen between Lewis and George. It’s been brewing for a few races now! Lewis’s head had gone I think, by the way he was moaning about being on the softs at the start. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    markr76 said:
    I knew something stupid was going to happen between Lewis and George. It’s been brewing for a few races now! Lewis’s head had gone I think, by the way he was moaning about being on the softs at the start. 
    Yeah, finally they have a pretty quick car and he’s clearly chomping at the bit but overdoing it considering there’s nothing really at stake. What’s a shame is Russell’s pace suggests a double podium would’ve been absolutely possible. 

Great race otherwise though. Perez still a twat, Piastri is a class act and I’m hopeful we’ll see him and Lando both on the podium.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    George is so good. What a drive. How many drivers could go 2nd to last and back up to where he finished? What could have been, if only Lewis hadn’t taken an unnecessary gamble.  Nice to see McLaren do so well. Lando and Oscar and great. Max is just Max. Perez is crap. I can’t believe he’s still at RB. Lewis should get 2nd in the championship, if he can remember how to drive.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 331
    markr76 said:
    Yeah, finally they have a pretty quick car and he’s clearly chomping at the bit but overdoing it considering there’s nothing really at stake. What’s a shame is Russell’s pace suggests a double podium would’ve been absolutely possible. 

Great race otherwise though. Perez still a twat, Piastri is a class act and I’m hopeful we’ll see him and Lando both on the podium.
    Piastri is impressing me a lot. He seems like a decent chap too in the interviews I’ve seen. 

I’m just desperate for us to get 2nd in the constructors this year. The extra bonus will be nice! Then hopefully we’ll get a better car sorted for next year. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    Great chat in the cooldown room - I could watch a whole season of those three just talking shit

“does anyone have a wheelchair?”

”im too tired to get the trophy”
    ”ill break it if you want!”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    RBR must be concerned for next year's constructors title.  Even if Max dominates again, Perez is not cutting it.

Not great from Lewis.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    sinbaadi said:
    RBR must be concerned for next year's constructors title.  Even if Max dominates again, Perez is not cutting it.

Not great from Lewis.  
    Considering Red Bulls normal attitude towards drivers I’m surprised Perez isn’t in the Torro Alpha Tutti Frutti or whatever they call themselves at the moment. It’s a shock the second Red Bull driver isn’t  Tsunoda or Lawson.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    It's not a shock that Lawson isn't in the RB.

He hasn't got the experience yet. Max would chew him up just like with Albon and RB would bin him within a year as they have no interest in nurturing talent at all.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited October 2023
    Perez starting from the back after a rebuild. And Pirelli's F1 tyres are still made of cheese they've mandated an 18-lap maximum stint, so it'll be 3 stops minimum per car.
    Maximum number of laps mandate? Has that ever happened before?! Can't ever remember such a thing...
    High ambient temperature meant the sidewalls were at risk of delaminating at high speeds according to Pirelli, add that to stupid design of the track curbs and they were worried about how long the tyres would last. 

Oh Lewis, that was really stupid. You’d think he’d have got a bit more mature by now. I know he’s frustrated with the car but that looked more like a Lance Stroll move. 
    It's not a shock that Lawson isn't in the RB.

He hasn't got the experience yet. Max would chew him up just like with Albon and RB would bin him within a year as they have no interest in nurturing talent at all.
    That’s basically what they always do. Gasley and Kyatt got binned to. That’s the Red Bull way. Stick you in the car, watch you sink and then sack you. Look at De Vries this year, poor bloke was dropped halfway through the year. Better than Kyatt who was lost his seat and girlfriend to Max. 

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Penn said:
    George is so good. What a drive. How many drivers could go 2nd to last and back up to where he finished?
    Button three times through  the field in Canada in THAT race . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Brio said:
    Penn said:
    George is so good. What a drive. How many drivers could go 2nd to last and back up to where he finished?
    Button three times through  the field in Canada in THAT race . 
    Yes, Jenson was a good driver and generally a nice bloke. 

His last race was not so good though. 
    Now HERE is a rumour… 

https://reddit.com/r/formula1/s/r2vXUDrTnY

Would they finally say fuck it and get Alonso in that second seat? 
    Sergio Pérez will announce his retirement during the Mexican Grand Prix Weekend" - Escudería Telmex Ex high ranking employee told a group of us at a dinner party.
    Context. Not an actual dinner party but easier for the title. A few days ago, several people were testing some race cars at a local track. After the day at the track was over, this guy's group joined our group and we all went to dinner together before getting back to the hotel.   
    I do not know this guy personally and just met him at the track that day but had heard of him before because he's a well known figure in racing circles in Mexico. It was also known he was one of the top guys in Escudería Telmex.  Doing a bit of research, he was working as a high ranking individual for Escudería Telmex directly linked to international sponsorship deals, AKA, Checo Pérez and other motorsports people up until 2022.    

Here's what he said to the best of my recollection:
    - Red Bull has told Sergio they will not keep him for 2024, breaking the existing contract. (Nothing new in F1 or for Red Bull this very season with Nyck).   
    - Apparently this decision was communicated during the week of the Japanese Grand Prix. (This could somewhat explain the absolute shockers that have been Japan and Qatar for Pérez). Would be interesting to go back and watch Sergio's Thursday interviews that weekend but I haven't done that yet.   
    - Checo's team, (managers and main sponsor *Escudería Telmex*) immediately started looking around and talking to people but 2 main problems arose here.   
    1. There are no seats available. Only one not confirmed is Williams and maybe Stroll's place isn't as secure as everyone thought pre-Qatar? But...   
    2. These past 4-5 months have been extremely damaging to Sergio's well earned reputation. Other teams have mentioned to them how he is now on the older side (He's been in F1 since 2011!). The once known Tyre whisperer and Mexican Minister of Defense, a mid driver with some epic drives here and there completely collapsed under the pressure of a Championship winning team so they (other teams) don't see themselves kicking someone else out to put Checo in one of their cars, although the sponsorship package that comes with him would certainly make teams in the lower half of the field have a real think about it.   

This person doesn't know anything about who will replace Checo in 2024.

So...   

During the off weekend between Japan and Qatar, Sergio and his team came to the conclusion that it was time to end his Formula 1 career. He's been doing this for a long time and his family keeps growing and growing.      
    The announcement will be made during the Mexican Grand Prix weekend in 3 weeks time and that'd be it.     

This guy speculated: *Since Escudería Telmex is privy to this information, chances are the Mexican Grand Prix Organization  already know as well and may prepare a farewell celebration or something.*   

And that was it. Of course the table had questions and comments but this person claimed that was all he knew, that this was all he has told by someone still inside Escudería Telmex.   

Now, could this person make it all up in the spot to become the center of attention of the group for a few minutes? I mean, I guess he could have. He  was certainly the center of attention while telling us all of the above. Being there at the time, knowing who he is and who he knows, I believed him. 
    ---   
    So, that's basically it. Take it with a grain of salt of course, I am no one with influence or "connections". I just happened to be there at the track with a group of friends, 2 of which knew this guy very well from years past. That's why they joined our group for dinner. Beyond what I've already written, I don't think there's much more for me to tell, If anything.      

No, I cannot provide proof so I'm well aware this comes down to a big fat "trust me bro". I debated with myself for a few days whether to post this or not, I obviously decided not to, and so here we all are.   
    English not being my first language, there may be a few grammar and spelling mistakes here and there. Bare with me, the important stuff is in here.    
    ---   

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Seems plausible.  Perez has really collapsed in the past few races, which would tie in with being told that the jig is up.

I’d love to see Alonso put in the Red Bull - both him and Verstappen are at the top of their game, and it would be a proper knife fight.  But it won’t happen; Red Bull’s long term strategy is to choose one favourite driver and mould the team around them.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    Arguably it's unlikely that Alonso is as good as he was in his championship years due to age but I agree he would be a test for Max.  

It might be the only way any other driver from any other team gets a look in on the driver's championship.
    I can see Alonso making Christian extremely nervous, but when they're this good with Max, what's the risk? And I can imagine Max would be up for the fight to prove himself once & for all. 

But I accept if it's happening then DR is the obvious answer, with Lawson in full time at AT
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Christian said on Sky this weekend they would never run two alpha drivers, they'd never employ Alonso. Whomever gets in that second seat will always be a second to Max.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    Christian said on Sky this weekend they would never run two alpha drivers, they'd never employ Alonso. Whomever gets in that second seat will always be a second to Max.
    I know but this is the only semblance of silly season we're getting this year and I wanna make the most of it!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Max would throw his toys out of the pram if his team mate was anything but a second driver. Danny Ric would be the obvious choice out of the people around at the moment; he’s been at RB before so he’s aware of the politics, he’s reliable and a very decent driver but he’s also not going to be challenging Max at every race. Alonso would be trying to kick Max up the arse all time, mentally and race-wise, and Christian’s Wonder Boy would never tolerate it. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Boromedic said:
    I know but this is the only semblance of silly season we're getting this year and I wanna make the most of it!! 
    Fair play mate!! It would be great to see tbh, if only to see the righteous level of entitlement Max would throw at it when Alonso beats him.... :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.