Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The F1 thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    A lesser known fact - Max’s brother is a taxi driver in Belfast… Hanks Verstappen
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Hamilton’s radio message was “This has been manipulated, man”.  Which is fair comment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Sky F1 commentator Crofty has heard Mercedes are about to withdraw from legal action - he mentioned this in a Sky video posted earlier. Let's see.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Who gives a shit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    About what rogd?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I think @rogd gives a shit. :)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    rogd said:
    Who gives a shit?
    Not Kimi
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 331
    A lesser known fact - Max’s brother is a taxi driver in Belfast… Hanks Verstappen
    I was sat there reading this out in my head in my best Belfast accent. I just didn’t get it. So I asked my missus, who is from Belfast and she just blurted it out in a broad Belfast accent. It made me laugh!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogd said:
    Who gives a shit?
    A few of us have been giving shits all year over this.  Yesterdays offering was just a tad disappointing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    markr76 said:
    I was sat there reading this out in my head in my best Belfast accent. I just didn’t get it. So I asked my missus, who is from Belfast and she just blurted it out in a broad Belfast accent. It made me laugh!!
    Can your missus give me a call please? It’s gone way over my head. 

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Thanks For Stoppin........
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    It's almost as good as the 'Nellie Dunn' gag. (c) Bernard Manning or someone.
    tFB Trader
    markr76 said:
    Haha @markr76 i thought of you when I was typing this! It definitely takes the belfasty twang to bring it to life :D
    mrkb said:
    Thanks For Stoppin........
    Cheers bud. 

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9089
    Can’t wait for Karen Horner to address him as “Sir” next season!…

https://talksport.com/sport/motorsport/1002071/lewis-hamilton-knighthood-formula-one/

poke that up your hole red bull!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    markr76 said:
    Can your missus give me a call please? It’s gone way over my head. 
    Allow me to translate your question @Haych ;

”ere mate, gi’us a call wid ye? Dat der has went way over ma hee’ud. What da fuck are ye slabberin’ ‘bout?”

@markr76 and his better half should be able to verify this. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1087
    Decent analysis... 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Very decent analysis indeed
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    ^^
    Good video

This is also good ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1087
    ^^ exactly basically the regulations have been completely disregarded.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    edited December 2021
    poopot said:
    Can’t wait for Karen Horner to address him as “Sir” next season!…

https://talksport.com/sport/motorsport/1002071/lewis-hamilton-knighthood-formula-one/

poke that up your hole red bull!!!!

But he's already been knighted? He's been Sir Lewis for a year or so now...

EDIT: just had a look... he was given the title in last year's honours list but he hasn't actually been knighted yet.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Boromedic said:

Michael Masi and the FIA picked the champion, whatever else happened is fair game, you win some, you lose some but the FIA decided who won yesterday and that's not on.
    If they were consciously picking the champion they would have let MV take the position back at the start of the race.  All the commentators thought it should have been handed back, if there was a scheme to get MV the win sure that non-controversial decision should have happened?

I think it was more incompetence, inconsistency and being swayed at the end to have a 1 lap racing conclusion, rather than let the race and under SC, which it should have done.
    The commentators, in the heat of the moment, were wrong. The corner includes the braking zone - the gap WAS handed back to what it was at the start of the braking zone
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    From what I could see, Verstappen went for his usual “Out of the way, Max coming through” overtake, running straight on to the limit of the track and giving the other driver the choice of an accident or getting out of the way.  Hamilton - once again - ran off track to avoid getting torpedoed by Max.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cols said:
    From what I could see, Verstappen went for his usual “Out of the way, Max coming through” overtake, running straight on to the limit of the track and giving the other driver the choice of an accident or getting out of the way.  Hamilton - once again - ran off track to avoid getting torpedoed by Max.

This

TimmyO said:

The commentators, in the heat of the moment, were wrong. The corner includes the braking zone - the gap WAS handed back to what it was at the start of the braking zone
    And this.

Max was only ahead because he braked so late there was no way of getting around the corner without pushing the other guy off. In other incidents we've often seen drivers in similar positions get penalised for it, never mind penalising the one getting squeezed out. Had Max braked at an appropriate early point to get around the corner while leaving room he wouldn't have been ahead, and at the beginning of this season that was the rule ("All the time you have to leave a space", from Alonso about Rosberg iirc). This year they've let Max not leave a space when fighting Hamilton, until Brazil where they didn't even require him to stay on the track himself. 

The FIA has consistently moved the goalposts for Max ahead of everyone because it's exciting to watch, but it's getting really tiring for the rest of us. 

You only have to look at Max's move on Sainz after the pitstops to see that Max knows how to do it. Sainz wasn't even trying and he still left him room. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.2021-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-verstappen-picks-off-sainz-at-turn-6.1718949813873911804.html

A lot of Brundle's commentary this week felt like he was making an effort to be harsher on Lewis having read comments that he's biased towards the Brits, tbh. He was basically the only one in the entire Sky team defending Masi at the end as well. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • People are still watching F1?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3390
    People are still watching F1?
    Yes. Clearly, given the amount of people commenting on this thread. Your point?

This really winds me up - it's like people going to the BBC Sport website and logging in just so they can say this very thing on the comments section. If you don't like it, fine, but others do, so save your energy and try and be positive somewhere rather than negative here. I despise football, but I don't waste my time and others by going to those threads and saying such things.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1357
    I know it is the daily mail but I am not yet seeing this reported on PlanetF1 but apparently Merc can only appeal to an FIA panel and not the court of arbitration.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10305759/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Mercedes-claim-Court-Arbitration-Sport.html

Whether Mercedes appeal or not, and if they do, whether they win or not, the damage is done.

Mercedes might get some redress, financially or otherwise but the reputation of the sport is now well dodgy, in my humble opinion, more so than it ever has been before - and it's had some pretty dodgy moments.

I think it would be wrong for the WDC to change because of legal action, as far as I care, that ship has sailed, Max is now world champion and that should stand, although it will always do so in the same way Lance Armstrong's seven Tour de France wins always had a question mark over them (until Oprah).

Hopefully F1 will recover from this and hopefully it will be the catalyst for change at the top and in the FIA that's desperately needed, because they are out of touch with the sport and with the fans.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited December 2021
    I agree with some of that but disagree on Lance, he was the best cheat in a peloton of cheats, but he was still the class of the field. He wasn't even the best responder to the regime in his own team (Tyler Hamilton was), but he still won. It's not a fair comparison. He was still a liar and a despicable person at times I can agree on that.

Lewis has had the title decided for him outside his control, it's shite but perhaps we need to move on like you say. I'll always consider Max's title as a question mark which is all we can do :(

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Haych said:
    Whether Mercedes appeal or not, and if they do, whether they win or not, the damage is done.

Mercedes might get some redress, financially or otherwise but the reputation of the sport is now well dodgy, in my humble opinion, more so than it ever has been before - and it's had some pretty dodgy moments.

I think it would be wrong for the WDC to change because of legal action, as far as I care, that ship has sailed, Max is now world champion and that should stand, although it will always do so in the same way Lance Armstrong's seven Tour de France wins always had a question mark over them (until Oprah).

Hopefully F1 will recover from this and hopefully it will be the catalyst for change at the top and in the FIA that's desperately needed, because they are out of touch with the sport and with the fans.
    On the one hand, I wonder if this will make attracting new teams harder and whether some teams at the top will start to consider their investment.

I do wonder how mercedes' board must feel, to see a championship decided by a very questionable rule override...

On the other hand, this has put F1 front and center in world media. It sets up the next season very well with a narrative and of course a lot of people do think mercedes are sore losers.

I am not sure any one will care about the asterisk even by next season. Max himself did not cheat and there is no suspicion of personal cheating in the way Armstrong did. It's just a shit way to win.