Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The F1 thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Biiiig one for Stroll. Looks like he's ok but blimey.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ouch - daddy's going to have dig even deeper into his pockets for that repair bill....  :open_mouth: 

Glad he's ok, but put an end to what was looking like a cracking minute or two of the session!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I was just thinking how we have not had too many last-lap crashes in quali this year. Should have known Singapore would be the place for it!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    edited September 2023
    Well done Lawson. Ironic that RB brought him in and he knocks both of the main teams' drivers out of Q2 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Q2. 

7 thousandths.

Ahahahahahahaha…
  • But quite seriously, if both RBS are suddenly miles slower after issuance of a new technical directive clarifying rules around flexible bodywork, that speaks volumes imo. 

If they’re slower at Suzuka as well it’ll be hilarious. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 331
    But quite seriously, if both RBS are suddenly miles slower after issuance of a new technical directive clarifying rules around flexible bodywork, that speaks volumes imo. 

The talk is that their plank and skid blocks are springing up out of the way. Allowing the car to run lower. That area of the car should be solid/stiff. It’s the skid blocks are measured after the race and can’t have worn below a certain thickness. They reckon their beam wing was floppy too. 
    I’m not sure we’ll know how it’s affected them until a couple more races have been run 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markr76 said:
    But quite seriously, if both RBS are suddenly miles slower after issuance of a new technical directive clarifying rules around flexible bodywork, that speaks volumes imo. 

The talk is that their plank and skid blocks are springing up out of the way. Allowing the car to run lower. That area of the car should be solid/stiff. It’s the skid blocks are measured after the race and can’t have worn below a certain thickness. They reckon their beam wing was floppy too. 
    I’m not sure we’ll know how it’s affected them until a couple more races have been run 
    Someone must have been doing something, right? Otherwise why issue a directive. 

I’m assuming it’s the usual thing where the FIA knows somethings shady in at least one car but it technically passes all the static tests they use, so they don’t get disqualified. But they develop a new test and set of language so that thing can’t be used any more. 

Horner just said explicitly that nothing has changed on the car so naturally I’m assuming something has changed :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092

Horner just said explicitly that nothing has changed on the car so naturally I’m assuming something has changed :D 
    Yup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    markr76 said:

Someone must have been doing something, right? Otherwise why issue a directive. 

I’m assuming it’s the usual thing where the FIA knows somethings shady in at least one car but it technically passes all the static tests they use, so they don’t get disqualified. But they develop a new test and set of language so that thing can’t be used any more. 

I know that Aston Martin have had a front wing deemed illegal because of the way it was flexing. Which could be why they’ve dropped off a little in performance. They’ve not been too happy about it apparently and have been on at the FIA quite a bit since. Pointing out that a lot of teams have flexible wings etc. Some of their top guys are ex redbull. I’m guessing they have a good idea of some of the things that redbull have been doing. So I’m guessing they’ve been to the FIA asking for clarity on the rules on flexing. Teams will usually ask the FIA if they can run a new idea on the car and is it legal. If the FIA say no. Then they ask why say Redbull are allowed to do it or why are Mercedes allowed to do it. 
    Like you say. It’s a very specific technical directive. 

It might just be that this circuit isn’t working for their car though. 
    It wasn’t that long ago that we had the most dominant car. But we just couldn’t make it work at Singapore, no matter what we tried. 
  • Well apparently no penalty for Max as no-one from Alpha Tauri showed up to talk to the stewards. How in the name of Fangio is that the way things work?!!?
  • Great to see the old Max wasn't far away when their fortunes faded. Hopefully it continues, ungrateful tosspot he is.

Fingers crossed it's not a one off too, but we'll see.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Well apparently no penalty for Max as no-one from Alpha Tauri showed up to talk to the stewards. How in the name of Fangio is that the way things work?!!?
    I read that they weren’t formally invited in the usual way. Doesn’t sound dodgy at all 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • Stroll won't race. He's still sore apparently, but I wonder if they also don't mind not using all the spares just to race from last with Suzuka next week

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/stroll-to-sit-out-f1-singapore-gp-after-huge-qualifying-crash/10521422/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Stroll won't race. He's still sore apparently, but I wonder if they also don't mind not using all the spares just to race from last with Suzuka next week

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/stroll-to-sit-out-f1-singapore-gp-after-huge-qualifying-crash/10521422/
    To be fair, his head and neck would’ve taken a hell of a hammering.  From the in cockpit view, it looked like his head got torn quite sharply to the left on initial impact.
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    I am so hopeful that this will be a good race. Can’t wait. I don’t actually care who wins as long as it’s not a red bull. 

I assume no one’s running in strolls place?
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Penn said:
    I am so hopeful that this will be a good race. Can’t wait. I don’t actually care who wins as long as it’s not a red bull. 

I assume no one’s running in strolls place?
    It would be impossible for another driver to stand in for Stroll for the race; they would need to have done qualifying.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    Can't get beaten by Lawson if you never race a lap against him... 

Though turns out it was Checo running Yuki off the road. God I'm glad I'm not a red bull driver...!

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    edited September 2023

This is absolutely delicious. Potential last and second to last place for Red Bull.

Unlikely, I know, but stranger things have happened.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

This is absolutely delicious. Potential last and second to last place for Red Bull.

Oh, I really do hope so.

It’s bloody brilliant! 
    Can't get beaten by Lawson if you never race a lap against him... 

Though turns out it was Checo running Yuki off the road. God I'm glad I'm not a red bull driver...!

I couldn’t remember if it was the car of the driver that they counted as the thing that qualified… if that makes any sense whatsoever ? 

Not often a driver drops out of a race. 

• This is absolutely delicious. Potential last and second to last place for Red Bull.

Unlikely, I know, but stranger things have happened.

Oh well, we can dream  :)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Merc can't even win a race with a 25L tyre advantage. Russell in the barrier too...what a way to shit the bed.

MADE MY F*CKING DAY.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Merc can't even win a race with a 25L tyre advantage. Russell in the barrier too...what a way to shit the bed.

MADE MY F*CKING DAY.
    I’m just amazed Ferrari didn’t mess it up and end up last. Bit out of character for them. 
  • Penn said:
    RiftAmps said:

MADE MY F*CKING DAY.
    I’m just amazed Ferrari didn’t mess it up and end up last. Bit out of character for them. 
    Well there wasn't really any strategy needed! 

Great race for Carlos and a deserving win. He's looking better than Charles of late - will he keep that up? 
  • Seems like Max can't win without the best car then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Superb from Carlos there - brilliant tactics backing into Lando to give him DRS to keep the Mercs behind.
    Proper thinking while in battle.
  • 5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Maybe this week will be the fewest (though doubtless non-zero) moans about how the sport is boring.

Loved that as a spectacle. 

Apparently Lando hit the same barrier - wonder if George was too focussed on the back of him and helped him make the same mistake. 

Fantastic as a Lando fan. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score