Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The F1 thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Cols said:
    euan said:
    MVs race pace was a second faster than Sainz!
    Shit.  He’s just going to walk it again, isn’t he?

What was Perez’s race pace like?  He’s been making a habit this year of qualifying badly but clawing it back on Sunday.
    Yikes.  Wrong again.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sick burn of the day award goes to Motorsport Magazine:

”Perez’s race was so bad he had to retire from it twice”.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Cols said:
    Sick burn of the day award goes to Motorsport Magazine:

”Perez’s race was so bad he had to retire from it twice”.
    OUCH!!

I did really feel sorry for him. Can you imagine a worse day at work when on the other side of the garage, your team mate is imperious, goes from lights to flag out front by miles and brings home the constructors championship and that huge staff bonus everyone will get. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    I wonder what odds you'd get of Lawson dropping in to replace him as he has back pains etc etc ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lawson’s undoubtedly disappointed to be sitting on the reserve bench next year.  However, of all the reserve drivers he’s got the best chance of being called up.  

If Perez doesn’t dig himself out of his rut soon, I could well see Ricciardo stepping in early and Lawson getting a more permanent berth at AT.  Or alternatively, Ricciardo might not come back well from his injury.

Red Bull could probably easily farm Lawson out to Williams for a year; the fact they haven’t (yet) indicates they’re still not sure that their driver choices for 2024 will stick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cols said:
    Lawson’s undoubtedly disappointed to be sitting on the reserve bench next year.  However, of all the reserve drivers he’s got the best chance of being called up.  

If Perez doesn’t dig himself out of his rut soon, I could well see Ricciardo stepping in early and Lawson getting a more permanent berth at AT.  Or alternatively, Ricciardo might not come back well from his injury.

Red Bull could probably easily farm Lawson out to Williams for a year; the fact they haven’t (yet) indicates they’re still not sure that their driver choices for 2024 will stick.

I've literally two minutes ago read a story (on planetf1, admittedly) saying that a few pundits have Liam Lawson down for Red Bull next year, unless Perez has a cracking end to the season. It's not madly unlikely; they've put youngsters in the car a few times before.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• Given how many young guys have utterly floundered when put against Max too early I think it'd be insane to put Lawson in the RB unless it was just a trial for ~4 races when DR is back. 

If they're minded to drop Perez early it's be a safer bet to put DR in as a cool head who is relatively lower risk and give Lawson a year to shine in the AT. 

But it's RB so whatever we think is reasonable is highly unlikely to happen
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited September 2023
    Given how many young guys have utterly floundered when put against Max too early I think it'd be insane to put Lawson in the RB unless it was just a trial for ~4 races when DR is back. 

If they're minded to drop Perez early it's be a safer bet to put DR in as a cool head who is relatively lower risk and give Lawson a year to shine in the AT. 

If DR can find his form and get the RB seat he may actually get second in every race, he's not a Verstappen level driver but definitely an improvement on Sergio.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Perez.jpg 363.3K
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    Perez will always do whatever his wealthy backers want him to do.  I think it's interesting that people discuss driver moves as though money sponsorship is all fairly distributed.

Not all F1 drivers were created equally.

RBR took Perez's money, gave him a seat and won everything.  They don't need anyone better, honestly.  So it's a big call to give up millions in sponsorship.

Maybe Perez will lose some or all of that sometime.  He can't go on forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I've literally two minutes ago read a story (on planetf1, admittedly) saying that a few pundits have Liam Lawson down for Red Bull next year, unless Perez has a cracking end to the season. It's not madly unlikely; they've put youngsters in the car a few times before.
    It would be utterly mental to put Lawson in the Red Bull next year.  It’s one thing to acquit yourself well against Tsunoda, but another thing entirely to be thrown in against a driver who’s currently absolutely at the top of his game, in a car which is notoriously difficult to extract the ultimate performance from.  Lawson would get pulverised.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Cols said:

It would be utterly mental to put Lawson in the Red Bull next year.  It’s one thing to acquit yourself well against Tsunoda, but another thing entirely to be thrown in against a driver who’s currently absolutely at the top of his game, in a car which is notoriously difficult to extract the ultimate performance from.  Lawson would get pulverised.

You’ve convinced me - they’ll definitely do that then 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Given how many young guys have utterly floundered when put against Max too early I think it'd be insane to put Lawson in the RB unless it was just a trial for ~4 races when DR is back. 

Verstappen is only 25 himself

• IMG_2807.jpeg 278.2K
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Andretti's application to enter F1 from 2025 approved by the FIA.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-approves-andretti-entry-as-11th-f1-team-from-2025-26/10527930/

Which doesn't automatically mean they'll be on the grid.  They have yet to agree commercial terms with Liberty F1, who gave a rather lukewarm reaction: 

"We note the FIA's conclusions in relation to the first and second phases of their process and will now conduct our own assessment of the merits of the remaining application."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    It would insanely stupid if FOM/Liberty do what some of the teams want and say no at this stage because it would mean no-one rational would ever want to try and enter again. So you can guess what I'm expecting them to do... 
    edited October 2023
    ONE-TWO FOR MCLAREN IN THE SPRING QUALI! Super cool from Oscar and you can tell he's really pushing Norris at this point, which is fantastic to see

That feels good! How long's it been? 2012..? 

Bodes well for tomorrow and the rest of the year
  • Great win for Oscar on a very challenging track.  It was good to see the different tyres working so differently throughout the race leading to action all over the circuit.  The full race will be interesting esp with the tyre limits in place.

Max has been utterly dominant this season so deserved the championship.  I just hope that others come forward to challenge for next season.

Cracking sprint that. Fantastic win for Oscar and a good recovery for Lando in the end. 

Funny how we get a good race every time Max isn’t at the front for whatever reason. 

• Cracking little race. Just hope a similar tyre discrepancy plays out in the main race too. 

I fear the DRS zone is gonna be a bit too generous and allow a lot of 'candy from baby' type overtaking.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    edited October 2023
    That was pretty exciting. 

The Softs really are made of cheese though aren't they. 

Lando really did seem gutted to have been beaten to a 1st by his team mate, however complimentary he was about it. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764

Congratulations to Max on his second world championship.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    A few more thoughts... 

- Lando was super nice about Oscar's win but that must hurt, after DR managed to get on in Monza too. He'll get there - that car is clearly great now. And they've finally just opened their new wind tunnel!
    - Perez lol. Not really his fault but I couldn't help but laugh
    - why didn't we see Albon more than about 10 seconds through the whole thing? He started 17th and finished bloody 7th and was a photo finish with Sainz!!! Granted he gained from the crashes, but still drove a blinder 

And apparently Adrian Newey is currenty the second most successful team in F1 history behind Ferrari - 12 constructor's titles and 13 driver's.

Constructor's: 1992,1993,1994,1996,1997(Williams),1998(McLaren), 2010,2011,2012,2013,2022,2023(RB)

Driver's: Mansell, Prost, Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen(2x), Vettel(4x), Verstappen (3x)

And he's only 64 - he could do another decade!!

• PennPenn Frets: 351
    I had to turn it off after. Couldn’t watch Max and his little smug face. Perez shouldn’t have been where he was so it kind of was his fault that he ended up being crashed into. He should have been much further up the grid. He just shouldn’t be in that car. He’s not good enough. Mind you I can’t believe Williams are daft enough to keep Logan Sargent. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I think Lando’s sporting nature and good grace are totally genuine but that will cut very deep. Hopefully he’ll take that pain and push himself forwards with it.

If McLaren produce an out front car with that pair, the championship battle would be incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    dazzajl said:
    I think Lando’s sporting nature and good grace are totally genuine but that will cut very deep. Hopefully he’ll take that pain and push himself forwards with it.

If McLaren produce an out front car with that pair, the championship battle would be incredible. 
    I see 2 problems if they keep this up. 1) I don't know which one I want to win, and 2) they will probably lose to Max simply because they'll take wins off each other, the same that Lewis & Nando did in 2007 (and arguably Lewis & Button from 10-12)
    Perez starting from the back after a rebuild. And Pirelli's F1 tyres are still made of cheese they've mandated an 18-lap maximum stint, so it'll be 3 stops minimum per car.
  • Perez starting from the back after a rebuild. And Pirelli's F1 tyres are still made of cheese they've mandated an 18-lap maximum stint, so it'll be 3 stops minimum per car.
    Maximum number of laps mandate? Has that ever happened before?! Can't ever remember such a thing...
    Not that I can remember