Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The F1 thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• I was honestly hoping Mando might nick the win when he got within DRS. But what a calculated choice from Sainz to give him a boost hoping it would be enough to hold help him defend GR for an extra couple of laps. 

Genuinely brilliant stuff. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • First GP I have watched since opening weeks of season

Enjoyable rac
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    What a superb race, best of the season so far. I was genuinely holding my breath at some points in the last few laps. 

It sounded from the radio comms that Sainz using Lando plus DRS to fend off the Mercs was his own idea rather than coming from the Ferrari team tacticians? In which case, you sir are a geniarse! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Superbly controlled drive from Sainz there, and it wasn’t just clever thinking at the end to let Norris have a bit of DRS; he drove with his head all the way through, controlling his pace to bunch the pack and deny the others strategic options.

Given Ferrari’s current tendency for a comedic approach to race strategy, I’m inclined to give full credit to Sainz for this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Finally seen the Perez “moves” that screwed Yuki and Albon. 

Absolute amateur hour stuff and somehow escape any real penalty for the Albon one, and got nothing at all for the Tsunoda punt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KvaeOO0f0
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Finally seen the Perez “moves” that screwed Yuki and Albon. 

Absolute amateur hour stuff and somehow escape any real penalty for the Albon one, and got nothing at all for the Tsunoda punt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KvaeOO0f0
    blimey - 2 slam dunks you'd have thought 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Oof those are both really terrible. He just drove straight at Tsunoda, how’d he get away with that? 
    Poor Yuki certainly suffered badly at the hands of Red Bull this weekend; first with Max screwing his qualifying, and then Perez taking a leaf from the “Out of the way, Max coming through” school of overtaking.

And no punishment either time.  AlphaTauri declined to send anyone along to the steward’s hearing for Verstappen impeding Yuki (for which he got nothing worse than a telling off), and Perez wasn’t even investigated for ending Tsunoda’s race.

Evidently the team aren’t interested in going out to bat for him.  AlphaTauri CEO Peter Bayer has indicated that they’ll decide on their 2024 lineup “in the next few days”, which doesn’t look good for Tsunoda on the back of a couple of unproductive races.
  • Yeah, utterly atrocious driving and neither even got a replay during the race, I don't think? 

I've seen suggestions today that they're going to announce a contract extension for Yuki at Suzuka, but who knows tbh. I don't especially rate him but he's certainly getting shafted of late.

If I was running RB I'd be sidelining Perez for DR and keeping Lawson & Yuki in the AT. I'd probably wait til the end of the year, but who knows!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited September 2023
    AlphaTauri declined to send anyone along to the steward’s hearing for Verstappen impeding Yuki (for which he got nothing worse than a telling off)

So you expected RB's jnr team to send someone to knock Max even further down the timesheets? Unlikely i reckon.
  • Brio said:
    AlphaTauri declined to send anyone along to the steward’s hearing for Verstappen impeding Yuki (for which he got nothing worse than a telling off)

So you expected RB's jnr team to send someone to knock Max even further down the timesheets? Unlikely i reckon.
    I was assuming the stewards would have a mechanism for giving reasonable penalties without the wronged team turning up to whine about it. Given how much the Sky coverage went on about having 100+ cameras around the circuit plus timing loops and something like 200 sensors per car you'd think that would be enough? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Brio said:

I was assuming the stewards would have a mechanism for giving reasonable penalties without the wronged team turning up to whine about it. Given how much the Sky coverage went on about having 100+ cameras around the circuit plus timing loops and something like 200 sensors per car you'd think that would be enough? 
    Absolutely this.  After all, I remember Alonso getting penalised at Hungary ‘07 for impeding his own teammate in qualifying, without McLaren having to go whining to the stewards about it.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I'm not suggesting that the F1 management are in any way helping Red Bull any more than any other team. Just want to make that clear.
  • Aaaaand Max was miles ahead again in FP1
    Aaaaand Max was miles ahead again in FP1
    But if you were just looking at the pace of the other Red Bull, you would conclude that the team are in just as much trouble as they were in Singapore.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And DR is looking unlikely for Qatar in another 2 weeks. Great news for Lawson though. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    MVs race pace was a second faster than Sainz!

insane. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    euan said:
    MVs race pace was a second faster than Sainz!
    Shit.  He’s just going to walk it again, isn’t he?

What was Perez’s race pace like?  He’s been making a habit this year of qualifying badly but clawing it back on Sunday.
  • Yuki and DR will be with AT next year. Which is obvious but also boring and a maybe a little bit unexpected considering it's RB making the decision
    <McLaren happiness>
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That was an insanely dominant performance from Verstappen. The gap between him and Perez in the same machinery is enormous. It'll no doubt be an easy walk in the park tomorrow for Max.

Which is a shame, as again the rest of the field looks pretty tightly bunched and it could be a great race for the rest of the top 10 spots.

Yuki and DR will be with AT next year. Which is obvious but also boring and a maybe a little bit unexpected considering it's RB making the decision
    Great way for Yuki to celebrate, really good quali performance. Hope he manages to actually make it past a couple of laps in front of the home fans this time. He's had some really shitty luck recently, and he seems a really likeable fella.
  • Anyone up early for Suzuka? 

WTF is Perez doing? Do they still have time to drop him for DR next year..? 
  • Im up, mostly due to cats being annoying - so a few laps behind live.

• Anyone up early for Suzuka? 

WTF is Perez doing? Do they still have time to drop him for DR next year..? 
    Looks like he's being demoted to test driver mid-race!
  • WOW!  wtf is he playing at.  

• Predictably crushing victory from Max, but great performance from McLaren.

Not a bad race aside from Max disappearing into the distance.
  • Phenomenal race from McLaren - absolutely peerless today, ignoring Max who is on another planet. Between this & Singapore they're looking like a solid top3 team. And very happy for Piastri

I'd love to see someone else in that second RB at this point, just to give Max another benchmark to try and work out whether he's really that good or if Perez has just gone completely to shit
    I got up and watched it - would have been fun to see Max have to overtake one of the McLarens but I’ll take 2 McLarens on the podium! 

Perez’s lunge was awful - oddly clumsy 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    TimmyO said:
    I got up and watched it - would have been fun to see Max have to overtake one of the McLarens but I’ll take 2 McLarens on the podium! 

Perez’s lunge was awful - oddly clumsy 

It was desperate.  He looks desperate and even by his standards at a low point in his career.