Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    @bobblehat do you want to play rhythm/2nd guitar on Keep Your Hands to yourself, as well as Vocals. You did last time.
    You could take a solo if you want to as well.

Yes, I'll play rhythm .I'll leave the solos to you young shredders  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    Neilybob said:
    @Neilybob I'll put you down for those at the next update.

@mart should I take you off Fortunate Son and substitute @Neilybob to give you a break? Or, if you want to play it as well, you could each play bass on separate run throughs.
    Happy to do either tbh.  
    It makes sense for me to drop that one, but I don't mind either way. 

When we've got a fixed list of songs and line-ups, we can shuffle the order to make sure everybody gets some breaks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mart said:

...When we've got a fixed list of songs and line-ups, we can shuffle the order to make sure everybody gets some breaks.

Yes, at the moment the focus is on finding songs with a full line-up. But we need to check people get breaks because the load is heavier on Vocals, Drums and Bass.

Also, the list isn't intended to be too proscriptive, but just intended to create some level of organisation and a framework to build on. Last time things flexed and adapted on the day and @Brocco ran things really well.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    roberty said:
    Amongst all this techy modelly stuff, I'll bring my '79 JMP and a 1x12.

And I fancy a proper go on an SG, if anyone fancies bringing one.
    I have a 2004 SG Standard I can bring, in D standard with 11s, stock except for 500k volume pots and 50s wiring

Or a 2016 SG Faded with A4 PAFs and a Bigsby in E standard with 10s, again 500k pots 50s wiring

Haven't looked at the song list yet sorry. Been a hectic few weeks with festivals and work
    Ooh, decisions, decisions.

The Faded sounds interesting.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2022
    The latest list is below.

I've put @Vibetronic and me down as joint lead on Keep Your Hands To Yourself, as there are a couple of solos. But we could do separate run throughs if that's what's wanted on the day.

@Neilybob replaces @mart on bass for Fortunate Son.
    @Neilybob down for bass on Tush, which means we just need a drummer for a full line-up.

@mart on bass means Wishing Well now has a full line-up.  

Blue fill = full lineup. So we can do the song.
    Amber fill = Available role. Good to have, but not essential
    Red fill = Role needed to allow the song to be played.

https://i.imgur.com/ooJ2sfP.png

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    roberty said:

I have a 2004 SG Standard I can bring, in D standard with 11s, stock except for 500k volume pots and 50s wiring

Or a 2016 SG Faded with A4 PAFs and a Bigsby in E standard with 10s, again 500k pots 50s wiring

Haven't looked at the song list yet sorry. Been a hectic few weeks with festivals and work

Would you be interested in trying my Burny SG Junior with a single dogear P90? Happy to bring it down also. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Looks like I might be able to make it….Happy to drop on a few songs there, and maybe try my Fender precision on some Bass 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited August 2022
    @spark240 could you have a look at the latest list (a couple of posts back) and see where you can fill roles. And, if you want to, also add song suggestions of your own.

It's not a competition.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    well Ive been "rehearsing"  the vox on JWIN...................... Wilfs not impressed  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Neilybob said:
    roberty said:

Would you be interested in trying my Burny SG Junior with a single dogear P90? Happy to bring it down also. 
    That sounds interesting.  Like me some P90s.  I mostly play my LP Special, but it's a heavy bugger - 9lb, so that's full-fat LP weight - and I know about it after a couple of hours' rehearsal.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• @Jonathangus, I just wondered, are you OK to sing Under The Bridge, which you did last time? If so, we've got another song with a full line-up.

It's not a competition.
    @Jonathangus, I just wondered, are you OK to sing Under The Bridge, which you did last time? If so, we've got another song with a full line-up.

Yeah, I can do some 'singing'.  Go on, then.

edited August 2022
    Here's an update.

@Jonathangus added for volcals on Under The Bridge, which adds another song with a full line-up.

Blue fill = full lineup. So we can do the song.
    Amber fill = Available role. Good to have, but not essential
    Red fill = Role needed to allow the song to be played.

https://i.imgur.com/eFCtPeS.png

It's not a competition.
    Freebird  -   everyone ?   =)

• bertie said:

Should I add it to the list and see if we get any takers? What role(s) would you like :)

It's not a competition.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    I've worked through a few more songs this evening, so I'd be happy to do bass on Strange brew and You really got me. Does anyone remember who sang that when we last did it?
    bertie said:

Should I add it to the list and see if we get any takers? What role(s) would you like :)

Allen Collins of course ;)    
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    I’ve thrown together a Spotify playlist if anyone is interested 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4qaBxcEx6JhWQcNdcmdKZg?si=LzleXkQaTgqvbio5lc6BVg
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Just seen this thread, may be able to come, will open diary negotiations at home
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    @TimmyO would be nice to see you....

Question for @roberty - it looks like there could be 14/15 of us, how cosy will that make things at Firebird?  Should we put the heat on Factory as we know the large room there can easily accomodate us?
  • mart said:
    I've worked through a few more songs this evening, so I'd be happy to do bass on Strange brew and You really got me. Does anyone remember who sang that when we last did it?
    I'll  make a note of your added bass roles in my next update of the list.

I can't remember who sang You Really Got Me. If fact, I'm not even certain that we ended up playing it.

It's not a competition.

I can't remember who sang You Really Got Me. If fact, I'm not even certain that we ended up playing it.

We didn't.  IIRC, it was @Vibetronic 's choice, but he didn't make it.

edited August 2022
    Neilybob said:
    I’ve thrown together a Spotify playlist if anyone is interested 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4qaBxcEx6JhWQcNdcmdKZg?si=LzleXkQaTgqvbio5lc6BVg
    That's great and very helpful.

It makes me realise that the Van Halen version of You Really Got Me is in A flat (they tune down a semitone from A). Previously I thought (from memory) it was F# tuned down a semitone from G. @Vibetronic and @mart I've put it down as G in the list. Is that OK, or would you prefer A (assuming we can find someone who can sing that high)?

Also, note that Talk Dirty will be in G, a semitone higher than the original. I'll try to make sure I highlight key changes in red text in the song list.

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Brocco said:
    @TimmyO would be nice to see you....

Question for @roberty - it looks like there could be 14/15 of us, how cosy will that make things at Firebird?  Should we put the heat on Factory as we know the large room there can easily accomodate us?
    The room is massive. I'm just not sure if there are any chairs. I will call and find out. We're getting within the 30 day period for Factory now to be honest and they have sofas 
    Maybe factory will bend the rules a little
    Just sent a cheeky email to factory, see what they say
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023

Yep, last year was not good! The one I did make I believe it was @roberty who was David Lee Roth and did an excellent job :)

Yep, last year was not good! The one I did make I believe it was @roberty who was David Lee Roth and did an excellent job :)
    Yep happy to sing this again :-) I'll have a proper look at the song list when I get some time at home

I was thinking 'here comes your man' or 'where is my mind' by the pixies. Great songs with simple chords and lead guitar bits and bobs
    I've only just realised that Here Comes Your Man starts with the Hard Day's Night chord. The cheeky buggers
    edited August 2022
    roberty said:
    ... I believe it was @roberty who was David Lee Roth and did an excellent job
    Yep happy to sing this again :-) I'll have a proper look at the song list when I get some time at home

I was thinking 'here comes your man' or 'where is my mind' by the pixies. Great songs with simple chords and lead guitar bits and bobs

Can I double check the key of You Really Got Me. It's currently down as G in the song list. But Van Halen play it in A, tuned down a 1/2 step. So their version is effectively in Ab.

Is everyone happy with G? Taking it up to A might be pushing it a bit for the vocals.

I'll add the @roberty ;suggestions to the list.

It's not a competition.