Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'll sing YRGM in whatever key is most convenient on guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Do you have a preference @Vibetronic , as you'll be doing the pyrotechnics :)

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:

For the record I will not do jumping splits 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

For the record I will not do jumping splits 
    I'll give you a tenner if you try?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2022
    Here's an updated list.

@Bertie I've added Freebird

I've added Here Comes Your Man and Where Is My Mind. I've put @roberty down for Vocals and also Lead guitar.
    I assume Here Comes Your Man is in D. The original isn't at concert pitch and is somewhere between D and Eb.

Blue fill = full lineup. So we can do the song.
    Amber fill = Available role. Good to have, but not essential
    Red fill = Role needed to allow the song to be played.
    Red text means a different key to the original

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    roberty said:

I think last time I played it in A? So the first chords are G-A-A G-A? Vocals were spot-on. 
    edited August 2022
    roberty said:
    Do you have a preference @Vibetronic , as you'll be doing the pyrotechnics

I think last time I played it in A? So the first chords are G-A-A G-A? Vocals were spot-on. 

I've edited the chart I posted earlier to show A.

It's not a competition.
  • @Brocco do you think we should consider dropping songs that have been on there for a while that have attracted little interest? Perhaps let everyone know which are at risk 'as a last call' before we actually drop them.

Or we could just keep adding to the list, until the writing gets so small that nobody can read it :)

It's not a competition.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Here's an updated list.

apols - it was more of a joke than a real suggestion -
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    Here's an updated list.

apols - it was more of a joke than a real suggestion -
    Well you never know. There might be some interest. If not, I'll drop it at the next update.

It's not a competition.
    thanks @stratman3142 ;  -    sorry for time wasting.........................   if it happens "on the day"  -  you never know  -  but Im not sure my elbows will take 7 mins+ of constant playing (they've not recovered since snapping  the tendon)
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    @Brocco do you think we should consider dropping songs that have been on there for a while that have attracted little interest? Perhaps let everyone know which are at risk 'as a last call' before we actually drop them.

Or we could just keep adding to the list, until the writing gets so small that nobody can read it :)

Suggest we give it the weekend after which we drop any tracks that do not have both a drummer and vocalist
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Brocco said:
    @TimmyO would be nice to see you....

Question for @roberty - it looks like there could be 14/15 of us, how cosy will that make things at Firebird?  Should we put the heat on Factory as we know the large room there can easily accomodate us?
    More importantly any good food places nearby?! 

On a more serious note also need to consider-

1.Car parking
    2. Have we got all of the gear we need? (Drums, amps etc?) 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    roberty said:
    Brocco said:
    @TimmyO would be nice to see you....

Question for @roberty - it looks like there could be 14/15 of us, how cosy will that make things at Firebird?  Should we put the heat on Factory as we know the large room there can easily accomodate us?
    The room is massive. I'm just not sure if there are any chairs. I will call and find out. We're getting within the 30 day period for Factory now to be honest and they have sofas 
    Surely we all have the folding garden/festival style chairs we could bring? 
  • I've just had confirmation that my cousin's birthday bash is on the 1st - so I won't be able to make this.  I'm sorry and it's a real shame that I won't get to meet you all and play a bit.  Good luck with it all - it's been fascinating watching this process!
    @Tele-scopic hope you can make the next one!
    Brocco said:
    mind they tar-barrels   ;) 
    edited August 2022
    bertie said:
    Brocco said:
    mind they tar-barrels    

Ottery St Mary, that's not far from me in Exmouth.

btw. @Tele-scopic did you know that 'Joey The Lips' are playing at Manor Fest (Manor Park, Exmouth) tonight 28th August at 8pm. And it's free. I'll be going to see them.

It's not a competition.
    edited August 2022
    thread hi jack  - miss the old estuary towns/villages  - my uncle was live-in caretaker of the "town hall" in Topsham late 60s/70s  - spent many a summer holiday there and many a visit later    got a few old rugby mates in Exmouth 

• Thanks everyone.  Thanks for the heads-up @stratman3142 - we have the in-laws staying and have a meal booked for tonight.  (Devon in the summertime, eh?)  Hope the Fest is fun.
    edited August 2022
    Btw. I made some charts for the ones we planned to do for the previous jam. I think that's the first 11 in the list. Not sure I'll get time to do any others. I may have charts for one or two of the others. PM me if you're interested.

It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    edited August 2022
    roberty said:
    I've only just realised that Here Comes Your Man starts with the Hard Day's Night chord. The cheeky buggers
    Add it to the list , happy to sing and play on this . I used to play it with my band . Great tune . I used to play it in D
  • bobblehat said:
    roberty said:
    I've only just realised that Here Comes Your Man starts with the Hard Day's Night chord. The cheeky buggers
    Add it to the list , happy to sing and play on this . I used to play it with my band . Great tune . I used to play it in D
    I was assuming @roberty was doing Vocals and Lead guitar on 'Here Comes Your Ma'n. I'll put you down as joint roles for the moment and see if we can get a drummer and bass player. Unless one of you wants to play bass.

It's not a competition.
    edited August 2022
    @Brocco I'm wondering whether to remove 'Richard III', 'Is She Really Going Out With Him' and 'That's Entertainment'. They've been on the list for a while and attracted little interest.

Also, I'll remove 'Freebird' as @bertie wasn't serious about that one.

If anyone wants to play on any of those, shout now.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 please also remove my suggestions that are a long way from having a complete line-up (Move Over, Supersonic, Breathe and Attack, Strange Brew) 
  • Brocco said:
    @stratman3142 please also remove my suggestions that are a long way from having a complete line-up (Move Over, Supersonic, Breathe and Attack, Strange Brew) 

I was wondering whether to keep those in a little longer as they're relatively new suggestions. I might be able to cover guitar or bass on some but I don't want to over commit just yet, because a need to learn some songs for a band plus I'm away for the two weeks leading up to the jam, so I don't know how much time I'll get to run through stuff.

It's not a competition.
    Factory wouldn't bend the booking rules and let me book a few days early so I have scheduled an email to send at 5 minutes past midnight, which is within the window. I don't understand what they're trying to achieve
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    roberty said:
    Factory wouldn't bend the booking rules and let me book a few days early so I have scheduled an email to send at 5 minutes past midnight, which is within the window. I don't understand what they're trying to achieve
    Can you recall if factory provides a drum kit?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    We hired one last year.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Yeah I've asked for drum shells