Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I'll bring a Fractal FM9 and a Redsound Elis8 FRFR monitor and a guitar.
    Will also bring my own mic (they are disgusting germ spreaders) - so Im not sharing with anyone.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Amongst all this techy modelly stuff, I'll bring my '79 JMP and a 1x12.

And I fancy a proper go on an SG, if anyone fancies bringing one.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2022
    I'll bring:

Amp: My HRD IV amp, plus a Blues Cube Artist that I'll probably leave in the boot of my car as 'back up' unless anyone wants to try it.

FX: My Helix LT. Plus a few assorted stomp boxes including a Maxon OD9 and Spark boost as 'back up'.

Guitars: My Ibanez AZ2204 (HSS), and my AZ2402 (HH) as 'backup'

Bass: Squier PJ bass

I'm a bit OCD about having spares/backup

It's not a competition.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2022
    probably just bring my LP trad and the Morgan DC   -  Ive a strat that's H-S-S wired with a schaller Mega E if anyone's interested in how that sounds/works  re coil splitting but wont bring it otherwise

oh,  and if no-one has one, but want to see one to check it out - I can bring the HB  Jr DC  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Amongst all this techy modelly stuff, I'll bring my '79 JMP and a 1x12.

And I fancy a proper go on an SG, if anyone fancies bringing one.
    I have a 2004 SG Standard I can bring, in D standard with 11s, stock except for 500k volume pots and 50s wiring

Or a 2016 SG Faded with A4 PAFs and a Bigsby in E standard with 10s, again 500k pots 50s wiring

Haven't looked at the song list yet sorry. Been a hectic few weeks with festivals and work
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    mrkb said:
    I'll bring a Fractal FM9 
    argh. The one bit of gear I've just decided I should probably do without and resisted putting my name on the list for. This isn't going to help ;) Looking forward to hearing it!!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    @Brocco TBH I thought id backed out due to the date not working for me...?....can you confirm date please?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    @spark240 we are on for Saturday 1st October.

Do you know how @nickos236 is fixed?

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    spark240 said:
    @Brocco TBH I thought id backed out due to the date not working for me...?....can you confirm date please?
    Saturday 1st October.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• 1st Oct is the date.

I'll probably be bringing my Westbury Standard guitar, small pedalboard and my vocal mics. 

If I can get away with not bringing my amp head & cab as I'm only guitaring on 2 songs, that'd be amazing.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    Would be intetested in trying a really nice 335 style guitar if anyone has one that they would be happy to bring along?

I can bring my Matchless Lightning combo if anyone would like to try it, otherwise I may leave it at home this time.
  • Sorry I've been a bit quiet - almost as soon as I signed up I heard from a cousin who was planning a get-together for a 'special' birthday - either on the 1st or 2nd October ...  Many cousins and families that I haven't seen for years (or at least since lockdown) could choose which date was best for them - and at the moment it's looking like the 1st is the most popular day.  A decision will be made this weekend, so I'll let you know after that.
    Brocco said:
    Would be intetested in trying a really nice 335 style guitar if anyone has one that they would be happy to bring along?
    Sold mine, which was silly. I have a Reverend Spacehawk which is sealed a semi-hollow design but not very traditional. The pickups are voiced to work with lots of effects
    Happy to do lead/rhythm on Under The Bridge, You Give Love a Bad Name, You Really Got Me, You Shook Me, Run to You and Talk Dirty to Me (I love Poison). I'm happy to learn others too, but those are the ones I know really well or at least a bit.

As for suggestions, I've gone completely blank. From my own covers band I'd suggest Word Up (the Gun version, 3 chords), Basket Case (Green Day) and Enter Sandman? All a bit over-done but well known...our other stuff is more metal and would take too long to put together. My own taste is 80s hair metal so if anyone fancies some Winger....? :)
    edited August 2022
    @Vibetronic what key for You Really Got Me? I think you suggested the Van Halen version previously and I believe that's the version that @onlyonebradders learned.

Van Halen tune down a semitone, I think, so it sounds like it's in G flat, but is actually played as if it's in G. It's easy in either key but G might be better for Val Halen type soloing, allowing more open strings.

It's not a competition.
    edited August 2022
    Here's an update list with @Vibetronic input. Songs higlighted in blue have a full line-up. Some others are getting close.

Regarding Under The Bridge. I think @roberty played bass last time and @Jonathangus did vocals. If those slots can be filled then we have another song with a full line-up.

https://i.imgur.com/krCZCY7.png

It's not a competition.
    Yep happy to bass on UTB
    +1 for Basket Case and Word Up (happy to give rhythm a go on basket case). Please also pencil me in for rhythm on Fortunate Son.
    @Vibetronic what key for You Really Got Me? I think you suggested the Van Halen version previously and I believe that's the version that @onlyonebradders learned.

Van Halen tune down a semitone, I think, so it sounds like it's in G flat, but is actually played as if it's in G. It's easy in either key but G might be better for Val Halen type soloing, allowing more open strings.

yep G is good with me :) Oh we do Hard to Handle too, so I'm happy to sit on on rhythm for that on if there's numerous iterations. 
    edited August 2022
    Vibetronic said:

...Oh we do Hard to Handle too, so I'm happy to sit on on rhythm for that on if there's numerous iterations. 
    Did you want to do Lead on one iteration of Hard To Handle. Then I'll put 'Another' down for rhythm because plenty of us know it and can fill that spot.

How about Keep You Hands To Yourself where, we could alternate Lead roles, as it's basically just a 12 bar in A?

It's not a competition.
  • Here's an updated chart.

Blue fill indicates enough roles to cover the song

Amber fill is an available slot and nice to have, but not essential

Red fill is a role that needs to be filled to be able to do the song. Unsurprisingly, it's mainly Vocals, Drums and Bass roles that are needed.

https://i.imgur.com/FoCzOtS.png

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Brocco said:
    @spark240 we are on for Saturday 1st October.

Do you know how @nickos236 is fixed?

Why dont you add the date to the thread title - might get more attendees interested.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    updated - was planning on doing this together with the change of venue as soon as we had confirmation that Firebird was booked, but no harm in doing so now 
    Vibetronic said:

...Oh we do Hard to Handle too, so I'm happy to sit on on rhythm for that on if there's numerous iterations. 
    Did you want to do Lead on one iteration of Hard To Handle. Then I'll put 'Another' down for rhythm because plenty of us know it and can fill that spot.

How about Keep You Hands To Yourself where, we could alternate Lead roles, as it's basically just a 12 bar in A?

All fine by me :)
    edited August 2022
    @bobblehat do you want to play rhythm/2nd guitar on Keep Your Hands to yourself, as well as Vocals. You did last time.
    You could take a solo if you want to as well.

It's not a competition.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    I'll be happy to play bass on Wishing Well - I managed to listen to that this evening and the bass is simple enough for me. So that gives us another song with a full line-up.
  • @mart. That's good. I'll include it in the next update.
    It's not a competition.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
     I can learn "Fortune Son" and "Tush" on bass before the 1st October. 
    edited August 2022
    @Neilybob I'll put you down for those at the next update.

@mart should I take you off Fortunate Son and substitute @Neilybob to give you a break? Or, if you want to play it as well, you could each play bass on separate run throughs.
    It's not a competition.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    @Neilybob I'll put you down for those at the next update.

@mart should I take you off Fortunate Son and substitute @Neilybob to give you a break? Or, if you want to play it as well, you could each play bass on separate run throughs.
    Happy to do either tbh.