Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Yup.  Go for it.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OK for me.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Crazed_FandangoCrazed_Fandango Frets: 53
    edited August 2022
    Covers I've played/jammed and enjoyed:
    Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young
    Teenage Kicks - Undertones
    Pretty Vacant and Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistols
    Armed & Ready - MSG (I've sung this but the guitar is too riffy for me to do both)

I'd love to try some songs by (The) Sweet   Showing my age, but anyone else like them, or want to try a track?

I'm an (at best) average guitarist & vocalist. I don't mind not being on any of the tracks or not having mine selected, but would like to come along to the jam and meet some of you.

I was (pre pandemic) running some smaller jams at Factory/Firebird and would be keen to start this up again.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2022
    Happy to drum on these (already know them) , and can provide guitar chord/lyric charts as well if needed

Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young
    Teenage Kicks - Undertones

Can sing and guitar on Pretty Vacant if needed, and would be happy to learn on drums as well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Would also like to propose Strange Brew and Wishing Well  
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Brocco said:
    if you're talking Free - Wishing Well and not Terrance Trent  -   Im happy to geetar along with that one
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Teenage Kicks is a tFB Jam staple - happy to play guitar on that one.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Brocco said:
    Is everyone okay with Firebird?
    Fine by me
  • @Brocco I'm wondering how we manage the ever increasing list. Ideas from anyone are welcome on how we manage the list.

When people say they can play guitar on a song, it would be good to identify whether they just want to play rhythm or are happy to play lead (if there's any lead playing on that song).

Perhaps I'll just post the list I've made so far and people who've said what role they can take.

It's not a competition.

When people say they can play guitar on a song, it would be good to identify whether they just want to play rhythm or are happy to play lead (if there's any lead playing on that song).

well indeed, not sure youd class the "bit" in Wishing Well as "lead"
  • @Brocco I'm wondering how we manage the ever increasing list. Ideas from anyone are welcome on how we manage the list.

Perhaps I'll just post the list I've made so far and people who've said what role they can take.

Well, Teenage Kicks barely has a lead part and even I can manage that.  Happy to do lead/rhythm guitar and/or sing.

Rocking in the Free World has 2 lead parts.  I'm happy to lead/rhythm guitar and/or sing, but when I've jammed it in the past, the solos weren't done as per the song and the outro one was an extended jam which seemed to get longer every time we played it  =)=)=)=)=)
    bertie said:
    Brocco said:
    if you're talking Free - Wishing Well and not Terrance Trent  -   Im happy to geetar along with that one
    yep, the Free/Nimmo Brothers vibe
    Think we just simply let the setlist emerge based on demand, especially so far as drums and vox are concerned.

Would like to play rhythm on Wishing Well and Rocking In The Free World
    edited August 2022
    Brocco said:
    bertie said:
    Brocco said:
    ok, well Ive never heard of them so Id best have a listen then 

EDIT  -  Well,  me waistline fits in OK   =) 

cant find a copy of them doing W/Well tho
  • Brocco said:
    ...Think we just simply let the setlist emerge based on demand, especially so far as drums and vox are concerned.

It would be good to see where we can fill the VOCALS, DRUMS and BASS roles. I suspect we've got plenty of options for the guitar roles.

I'll remove the distinction between LEAD and RHYTHM for some songs and just list who's expressed an interest. We can sort that out later.

btw. I said I'd do a list to help organise things, which is what we did last time and it seemed to work well. I'm not trying to dictate what happens and it's very much a democracy. I'll do my best to keep track of what people think, if it's helping. 

Here's the latest list. Let me know if you've got any comments or spot any errors.

https://i.imgur.com/idqSL7D.png

It's not a competition.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    This is sounding epic. I might drive down to have a listen and meet some of you. 
    bertie said:
    Brocco said:
    bertie said:
    Brocco said:
    ok, well Ive never heard of them so Id best have a listen then 

EDIT  -  Well,  me waistline fits in OK   =) 

cant find a copy of them doing W/Well tho
    it's on the Brother To Brother album ;)
    Have had a look at drum notation and can probably drum Wishing Well ok
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • If you're stuck for vocals on anything in the higher range, I might be able to cover them.

You Shook Me All Night Long and Wishing Well don't have anyone allocated on vocals, so I don't mind those.  I can go fairly high, but I don't have a voice that has gargled broken glass; I try to sing like Glenn Hughes (if you know him), so fairly clean tone.
  • Separate Q....

What do you usually do for equipment in these?  Are we hiring amps, or is it bring & share?
    Last time we brought our own amps, but hired a kit as @onlyonebradders 's kit is (a) here in Reading, and (b) would need a load spent for new heads.

• Happy to share my gear.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Happy to share my gear.
    very generous but what about the amps ?

=)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    usually some of us take along our amps and a simple pedal set up which "the band" plugs into to minimise downtime
  • Last time we brought our own amps, but hired a kit as @onlyonebradders 's kit is (a) here in Reading, and (b) would need a load spent for new heads.
    Can you ask your brother which songs he's happy to drum on from the list. @mrkb has got some covered but there are still a few gaps. Also, it doesn't matter if there's duplication because (like last time) we can play the same song with different line-ups.

It's not a competition.
    Last time we brought our own amps, but hired a kit as @onlyonebradders 's kit is (a) here in Reading, and (b) would need a load spent for new heads.
    Can you ask your brother which songs he's happy to drum on from the list. @mrkb has got some covered but there are still a few gaps. Also, it doesn't matter if there's duplication because (like last time) we can play the same song with different line-ups.

Will do.

I can bring cymbals, kick pedal and snare for drums if needed. Just need studio to provide basic drum kit shells
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Andy has cymbals and kick pedal in Bristol, I think.  Not sure about a snare.

• martmart Frets: 5165
    I'm certainly happy to cover the bass for Rocks, Hard to handle, You give love, Lil devil, Keep your hands, Is she really, Rebel rebel, My hero, You shook me, Get back, Somewhere, Run to you, Rocking in the free world, Teenage kicks. 

I might be able to do bass for some of the others too, but I'll need to have a good listen first to check as I just don't the bass parts well enough. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Hey up. Another Reading-ite here. Car share?