Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Okay we have Factory on October 1st from 9-6, total cost £154

I was told today that bookings were only available from 4 weeks in advance, not 30 days. They honoured the 30 days though when I pointed it out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:

I was told today that bookings were only available from 4 weeks in advance, not 30 days. They honoured the 30 days though when I pointed it out
    Cheers , Let us know how much and how best to pay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:

Top man @roberty!
    Brocco said:
    roberty said:

Top man @roberty!
    It was the sofas what done it. I will put a spreadsheet together with payment details etc
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @stratman3142 will try and learn the rhythm part for My Hero
  • Here's an updated list.

I've put @Brocco down for rhythm on My Hero.

Blue fill = full lineup. So we can do the song.
    Amber fill = Available role. Good to have, but not essential
    Red fill = Role needed to allow the song to be played.
    Red text means a different key to the original
    Grey fill with a strikethrough indicates songs that will get ditched soon if there are no takers.

Could everyone (especially Vocalists and drummers) take another look at the chart. We're quite close to a full line up for some of them.

It's not a competition.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    Ooh, how did I miss the Pixies suggestions? Put me down for bass on both unless anybody else wants them.
  • Neilybob said:
    Brocco said:
    @TimmyO would be nice to see you....

Question for @roberty - it looks like there could be 14/15 of us, how cosy will that make things at Firebird?  Should we put the heat on Factory as we know the large room there can easily accomodate us?
    More importantly any good food places nearby?! 

On a more serious note also need to consider-

1.Car parking
    2. Have we got all of the gear we need? (Drums, amps etc?) 
    Parking has been fine at Factory on previous occasions (they are on a small trading estate).

Not sure about options for food - others may know?

Believe @onlyonebladders and @mrk have drums covered, and for previous jams @mart has brought a bass amp, and we did have one or two guitar amp commitments earlier in the thread, but perhaps it's worth doublechecking what guitar/bass amps everyone will be bringing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There's a convenient store up the road. It's not amazing but you won't starve. Most rehearsal spaces tend to be in warehouse/industrial areas. The ones I use anyway
  • ... but perhaps it's worth doublechecking what guitar/bass amps everyone will be bringing?

There's some info on who's bringing what that was posted on or around August 24 on this thread.

I'm pretty certain we'll be OK for guitar amps, effects and guitars assuming everyone is happy to share.
    I'll also bring a 4 string Squier PJ bass like last time, which will be there as a spare for anyone to use.

I think the main thing to check is bass amp, drums and possibly mics. Sometimes people don't want to share mics.

It's not a competition.
  • roberty said:
    There's a convenient store up the road. It's not amazing but you won't starve.
    Nice
  • Brocco said:
    Neilybob said:
    Brocco said:
    @TimmyO would be nice to see you....

Question for @roberty - it looks like there could be 14/15 of us, how cosy will that make things at Firebird?  Should we put the heat on Factory as we know the large room there can easily accomodate us?
    More importantly any good food places nearby?! 

On a more serious note also need to consider-

1.Car parking
    2. Have we got all of the gear we need? (Drums, amps etc?) 
    Parking has been fine at Factory on previous occasions (they are on a small trading estate).

Not sure about options for food - others may know?

Believe @onlyonebladders and @mrk have drums covered, and for previous jams @mart has brought a bass amp, and we did have one or two guitar amp commitments earlier in the thread, but perhaps it's worth doublechecking what guitar/bass amps everyone will be bringing?
    Sounds like a plan! 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Looks like theses an Allen and Heath QU24 mixing desk (which is what I have in my music room). So I could take a recording feed from the desk. If people want it- will mean putting mics in the room for drums and old fashioned guitar amp setups though.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    I'm happy to bring along a bass amp as last time.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2022
    There's an updated list given at the end of this post

I've added @mart on bass for the two Pixies songs.

The following songs just need a drummer. Can @mrkb or @onlyonebradders help with any. Although it would have to be @onlyonebradders where @mrkb is down for vocals.
    Tush
    Fortunate Son (2nd run through)
    You Shook Me All Night Long
    Here Comes Your Man (Pixies)
    Where Is My Mind (Pixies)

Pretty Vacant just needs a bass player. Any takers?

You Give Love A Bad Name just needs a Vocalist. Any takers?

A strikethrough indicates songs that will get ditched soon if there are no takers.

It's not a competition.
  • Question for those who are down to play on Fortunate Son - how are we tuning our guitars (believe CCR tuned their's to D standard)?
  • Brocco said:
    Question for those who are down to play on Fortunate Son - how are we tuning our guitars (believe CCR tuned their's to D standard)?
    I just play in standard tuning. Key - A .

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    guys,  really sorry at this late stage, but Im going to have to pull out -   there's a more than 50.50 chance I wont be able to make it,  so probably best to  find somebody to "fill my picks"   

If things change, I might just pop down to say hello anyway :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I'm happy to fill in for Bertie to play rhythm guitar on Wishing Well if that helps? 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2022
    bertie said:
    guys,  really sorry at this late stage, but Im going to have to pull out -   there's a more than 50.50 chance I wont be able to make it,  so probably best to  find somebody to "fill my picks"   

If things change, I might just pop down to say hello anyway  
    That's a pity.

Any takers for Vocals and lead guitar for Just What I needed.

Neilybob said:
    I'm happy to fill in for Bertie to play rhythm guitar on Wishing Well if that helps? 
    That would help. I'll make a note of the changes at the next update.

It's not a competition.
  • @spark240 and nickos236 would be ideal if they are coming?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    @Brocco Nick def. cant make it due to work, I might come along for the ride but could only contribute as a 2nd guitar on a  few songs, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • There's an updated list given at the end of this post

A strikethrough indicates songs that will get ditched soon if there are no takers.

It's not a competition.
  • In the latest list I've got @Neilybob and @Brocco down for guitar on Wishing Well. But I think you both said you wanted to play rhythm. Is anyone up for doing the lead?

With the departure of @bertie, we now need Vocals and Lead guitar on 'Just What I Needed'.

@roberty sorry to put you on the spot but could you have a look at the full list to see where you might be able to help. IIRC you're an all rounder that can do Vocals, Guitar, Bass and even Drums. So perhaps you might be able to fill some gaps.

It's not a competition.
  • Is it worth swapping some of the songs?

I know it's late in the day, but if there's little interest....
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • Is it worth swapping some of the songs?

I know it's late in the day, but if there's little interest....

The ones with a strikethrough will get deleted soon. Others will go if there's little interest.

What are your thoughts @Brocco ;
    It's not a competition.
  • Personally I would be happy to drop most songs for which we do not currently have both a drummer and vocalist assigned as in most cases there has been plenty of time for these roles to be filled. In terms of potential replacement tracks (should we feel we need some), at this late stage suggest we focus on any additional suggestions from those who sing/drum.
  • Brocco said:
    Personally I would be happy to drop most songs for which we do not currently have both a drummer and vocalist assigned as in most cases there has been plenty of time for these roles to be filled. In terms of potential replacement tracks (should we feel we need some), at this late stage suggest we focus on any additional suggestions from those who sing/drum.

OK I've done a bit of a cull and taken out those with no drums and vocals. And also those that have been on there for a long time with limited interest.

If any vocalists or drummers decide they'd like to resurrect them let me know.

I've removed the following:
    Richard III
    Is She Really Going Out With Him
    That's Entertainment
    Get Back
    Somewhere In My Heart
    Run To You
    Breathe And Attack
    Supersonic
    Strange Brew
    Word Up
    Basket Case
    Enter Sandman

Also, unless you get a better offer, I can cover the bass on Pretty Vacant and Talk Dirty.
    That gives us a full lineup on Pretty Vacant and we only need a drummer for Talk Dirty.

Here's a new list below. Let me know if you spot any errors.

It's not a competition.
  • Messaged @onlyonebradders yesterday - he's going to have a listen to the songs and come back to us.  Pretty sure he'll be OK with Enter Sandman (the drum tab was stuck on the wall last time I was down there).  And Tush is basically a 12-bar shuffle.  Possibly My Hero too as he's a big Foos fan.   (With that in mind, I've played My Hero before, so stick me down; I'll need to refresh myself, though.)  Anyway, we'll see what he says.

IIRC, he did a pretty decent job on the ones we did on the spur of the moment last time.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Messaged @onlyonebradders yesterday - he's going to have a listen to the songs and come back to us.  Pretty sure he'll be OK with Enter Sandman (the drum tab was stuck on the wall last time I was down there).  And Tush is basically a 12-bar shuffle.  Possibly My Hero too as he's a big Foos fan.   (With that in mind, I've played My Hero before, so stick me down; I'll need to refresh myself, though.)  Anyway, we'll see what he says.

IIRC, he did a pretty decent job on the ones we did on the spur of the moment last time.
    That's great. Yes he did an excellent job.

Could you also ask him about Fortunate Son, which he did on the spur of the moment last time. That would give us another full lineup for a 2nd run through of that song.

It's not a competition.