Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 2022, Saturday 1st October, Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• Can prstratman3142 said:
    There are some where there's a question mark against @onlyonebradders because I think he still needs to confirm those.

@Jonathangus could you confirm with your brother that he's definitely OK for those that he's down for.

Can probably muddle my way through most of them. I kinda know sandman already albeit not perfectly. My Hero is more difficult as it’s bass drums all the way!
    @onlyonebradders conscious that we are already asking a lot of you, so please do say if you would be more comfortable if we dropped My Hero?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • On the question of gear, specifically amps and pedals, no-one responded to the kind offer from @mrkb (P.16) to use his mixing skills, so we will not be limited by mic placement, etc, and will have as much flexibility regards amps as we could reasonably want (the room is really quite large for 11 people so there is room to accommodate whatever we all decide to bring). That said, we do try to keep the swapping in/out of amps and boards to a minimum so we can maximise playing time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The studio mics at Factory are Shure SM58s

I'll be bringing my Sennheiser E945, but also have E935, E845 and a Behringer X1800 if anyone wants to use something non-germ-ridden.

I'm bringing a small pedal board with half a dozen pedals on...of which I'll probably only use 2 :)

Are we ok for amps, or shall I bring mine?

What time are we starting?  I've a dentist appointment  at 9:30, so hoping to get to the studio by 11.
    @roberty can confirm, but think we have the room from 9am until 6pm. Some are travelling a fair way, so think it unlikely that we will kick off the setlist before 10am, but will go with the flow on the day. Encourage everyone who can get there early to do so, as I for one am up for a jam!
  • At this point do we suggest car sharing to reduce our carbon footprint? 

Happy to offer as I'll be traveling from Reading on my loansome and I have a large car. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    @Brocco yep we have 9-6. I'll try and get there for 9, it's not fair on whoever's working there otherwise
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    roberty said:
    @Brocco yep we have 9-6. I'll try and get there for 9, it's not fair on whoever's working there otherwise
    Ive got a two hour drive, but will aim for just after 9 if the motorway is clear. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    mrkb said:
    roberty said:
    Ive got a two hour drive, but will aim for just after 9 if the motorway is clear. 
    I'm not far away at all but I am quite useless
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 2 weeks today chaps! 
    edited September 2022
    Neilybob said:
    2 weeks today chaps! 
    Don’t remind me! Learning Pretty Vacant on drums is proving, um, challenging - must play it another 10 times this weekend.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkb said:
    Neilybob said:
    2 weeks today chaps! 
    Don’t remind me! Learning Pretty Vacant on drums is proving, um, challenging - must play it another 10 times this weekend.
    I'm currently down for bass on that one, so don't set the bar too high.
    It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    Neilybob said:
    2 weeks today chaps! 
    If Sid could do it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    Neilybob said:
    2 weeks today chaps! 
    If Sid could do it...
    If you want a “Sid playing drums” version I’m at that level! ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    Neilybob said:
    2 weeks today chaps! 
    If Sid could do it...
    If you want a “Sid playing drums” version I’m at that level! ;)
    Well Pretty Vacant drums are upto speed (as long as I throw the sticks at the drums as fast as I can and hope I catch them on the rebound) - Im assuming sloppy fills are in the spirit of the song ? ;)

That Pixies song has a few tricky kick/snare patterns going on though!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Brocco said:
    Can prstratman3142 said:
    There are some where there's a question mark against @onlyonebradders because I think he still needs to confirm those.

@Jonathangus could you confirm with your brother that he's definitely OK for those that he's down for.

Can probably muddle my way through most of them. I kinda know sandman already albeit not perfectly. My Hero is more difficult as it’s bass drums all the way!
    @onlyonebradders conscious that we are already asking a lot of you, so please do say if you would be more comfortable if we dropped My Hero?
    It’s fair to say I’m struggling with My Hero and don’t really have much time to practice it along with the other songs.  It might be a case of cobble it together on the day if the others down to play it are well practiced but I’d rather focus on getting the other songs better in the 3 or so days I have left.  
  • @onlyonebradders no problem, consider My Hero removed from the setlist 
  • Question for @bobblehat. The setlist shows the key for Fortunate Son as A and wanted to check if you play/sing it that way or in G?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2022
    @Brocco I'll remove My Hero. Also I'll wait for @bobblehat to confirm the key of Fortunate Son based on your question above. Then I'll update the set list.

Do we need to think about a running order? Also, is the set list fixed now or do we want to throw in any simple tunes?
    It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 suggest that we do not add any new tunes to the setlist but encourage everyone to think about song idea's suitable for busking/jamming - for example Bowie's version of Knock On Wood 
  • Brocco said:
    @stratman3142 suggest that we do not add any new tunes to the setlist but encourage everyone to think about song idea's suitable for busking/jamming - for example Bowie's version of Knock On Wood 
    Cocaine, Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love used to be easy stalwarts at jams I went to many years ago. But maybe they're too old fartish for you youngsters :)
    It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    edited September 2022
    Brocco said:
    Question for @bobblehat. The setlist shows the key for Fortunate Son as A and wanted to check if you play/sing it that way or in G?
    I've always played it in A .

Will aim to get there for 9 . 

• Here's the final list. I've removed My Hero.

https://i.imgur.com/SNgYW58.png

It's not a competition.
    My tracks are starting to get better - @Jonathangus had better not start the riff to Pretty Vacant too fast!

Id prefer if any "ad hoc" jam songs got proposed in advance - as its difficult to drum or sing on a song you've dont know the structure to! Ive never heard Bowies Knock on wood.. unless youre happy with 11 people all playing cowboy chords on guitar ;)
    When weve tried this at other jams it usually falls apart after first verse/chorus.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Please beware Reading has spent the weekend in grid lock!  - 

The M4 and associated slip roads will be closed eastbound between junctions 12 (Theale) and 11 (Reading). The closure will start after 8pm Friday 30 September and the motorway will reopen by 6am on Monday 3 October 2022. Clearly signed diversions will be in place utilising the A4 and A33.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    edited September 2022
    @Jonathangus could I run my little Orange Terror head (see avatar) through your 1x12 or would you prefer me to bring my Orange 2x12? Need some heavy chugging for Enter Sandman. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    edited September 2022
    Neilybob said:
    @Jonathangus could I run my little Orange Terror head (see avatar) through your 1x12 or would you prefer me to bring my Orange 2x12? Need some heavy chugging for Enter Sandman. 
    Yeah, no probs.  It's a Marshall SV112, so 16 Ohm, 70 W.

EDIT: of course, you might prefer a closed back cab for Metallica.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Neilybob said:
    Yeah, no probs.  It's a Marshall SV112, so 16 Ohm, 70 W.

EDIT: of course, you might prefer a closed back cab for Metallica.
    Thank you. Good shout, I’ll pop the 2x12 in the car and then decide on the day. 
  • Are we okay for amps?

I can either bring my 50w Laney Linebacker as a just in case amp, or Victory V40 Deluxe head & 2x12 cab if there's room.  I'm only guitaring on 2 tracks, so would prefer to travel light.

Or....
    Is it worth hiring an amp or 2 from the studio?  They only charge a fiver.

I'm also bringing a small pedal board with:
    • Solid Gold FX Supafunk Envelope Filter
    • Wampler Ego
    • Mojo Hand FX Mr-O (Phaser)
    • Boss BD2 (with Keeley Phat Mod)
    • DOD Carcosa Fuzz
    • Boss DD2 Delay
    I've also got a collection of fuzz and modulation pedals, if there's a need for a FF/TB or Flange/Chorus.  I can swap some around.

As mentioned, I'll be bringing my Sennheiser E945 for myself, but also have E935, E845 and a Behringer X1800 if anyone wants to use something non-germ-ridden.  If no interest in my extra mics, I'll leave them at home.

If there's a loose jam going on, I can have a go at singing some extra ones, as long as you can print the lyrics.  I can't manage cookie monster vocals though. 

Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There should be plenty of amps.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • To save me bringing yet another amp/pedalboard etc , just want to check that someone is happy to share. Just need some dirt and a loud pedal in front of a mic . Happy to bring my own but I'm not precious about my tone and it could get a bit busy on stage.

@Crazed_Fandango ;  - if you could bring a spare mic that would be great. The ones provided last time were hopeless.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2022
    I'm happy to share my amps, pedals, guitars and bass guitar if anyone want to use them.

As well as my Helix LT, as a spare, I'll be bringing a BCB-3 with a compressor, Maxon OD9 (tubescreamer) and Spark boost.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter