Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited May 2023
    @TeleMaster on a hooligan related note, this is a great old listen/watch. He mentioned the Russian hooligans, they're about 30 years too late for ultra rivalry... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    @TeleMaster on a hooligan related note, this is a great old listen/watch. He mentioned the Russian hooligans, they're about 30 years too late for ultra rivalry... 

Thanks. I'll have a look. I think that because of the reputation of certain teams like ours, even if it's from decades ago, a fight with us is like claiming a prize for certain types of clubs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    scrumhalf said:
    For those of us of a certain age the concept if West Ham fans complaining about opposition fans' violence brings a faint smile.

ICF? 
    West Ham are barely any trouble now. There are worse fans. You can hardly compare our fans of today, who are mostly well behaved, to a team with an organised Ultra contingency invading the family section of opposing supporters. Lots of teams had hardcore firms, West Ham aren't special in this case but it's very much in the distant past now. 

And these hooligans were being moved along all around the city by the police. They were looking for a fight. Fans have reported that they were told not to go to bars, not to be outside the fan zone. People I know who went told me that bars were not going to serve English fans not because of them, but because of the AZ hooligans. A bit of tit for tat is normal, this was not.

That video of these two guys holding of dozens of them off though... 

And this video of them celebrating! Massive! 

Fair play to Knollsy and his mate for trying to fend them off and protect the family/friends area. Not many would have taken on that many Ultras.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128

The bloke who runs the Queen Vic in EastEnders? Blimey
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2023
    joneve said:
    scrumhalf said:
    For those of us of a certain age the concept if West Ham fans complaining about opposition fans' violence brings a faint smile.

ICF? 
    West Ham are barely any trouble now. There are worse fans. You can hardly compare our fans of today, who are mostly well behaved, to a team with an organised Ultra contingency invading the family section of opposing supporters. Lots of teams had hardcore firms, West Ham aren't special in this case but it's very much in the distant past now. 

And these hooligans were being moved along all around the city by the police. They were looking for a fight. Fans have reported that they were told not to go to bars, not to be outside the fan zone. People I know who went told me that bars were not going to serve English fans not because of them, but because of the AZ hooligans. A bit of tit for tat is normal, this was not.

Fair play to Knollsy and his mate for trying to fend them off and protect the family/friends area. Not many would have taken on that many Ultras.
    They're calling him the Angel of Alkmaar lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    joneve said:
    scrumhalf said:

ICF? 

They're calling him the Angel of Alkmaar lol
    He's already been immortalised:

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    The big man in green knocking em left and right.  =)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I've been to many matches, home and away for over 50 years - As an overview I'd say crowd trouble is far less of an issue now compared to 40/50 years ago - All clubs have there idiots who want to join in, or create trouble - They maybe be small fry compared to the bulk of fans who watch/travel to a match in peace  - But it is the small brigade who create the headlines 

As a Leeds fan I know we've had, still have a bunch of knob heads - But again as an overview we have more issues with EFL teams than PL - Cardiff, Birmingham, Millwall and Burnley, for some reason, are always our worse issues these days
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited May 2023
    Gerald Butler has put on a few pounds.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I've been to many matches, home and away for over 50 years - As an overview I'd say crowd trouble is far less of an issue now compared to 40/50 years ago - All clubs have there idiots who want to join in, or create trouble - They maybe be small fry compared to the bulk of fans who watch/travel to a match in peace  - But it is the small brigade who create the headlines 

As a Leeds fan I know we've had, still have a bunch of knob heads - But again as an overview we have more issues with EFL teams than PL - Cardiff, Birmingham, Millwall and Burnley, for some reason, are always our worse issues these days
    Nothing was as scary as finding yourself on the same Tube platform as a pack of the 'edgier' Millwall fans in the 80s. :anguished: 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Or when we were in the 2nd divison in early 80s, as a little 15 year old, coming round a corner with a West Ham scarf on after the game, to see several thousand Chelsea coming towards you.  I could run quick in those days !
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    goldtop said:

Nothing was as scary as finding yourself on the same Tube platform as a pack of the 'edgier' Millwall fans in the 80s. :anguished: 
    I went to my first ever game in 71/72, with a "gang" of my mates.  There were 10 or so of us, we were "ready".

The Old Den.  

Finished Millwall 1 - Fulham 3.

It was a while before I went to another game.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    When I was a kid my Dad was going to take me to a Leeds match, but my uncle was a policeman that worked the football ground and he said it wasn't appropriate for a primary school kid. Is that video what it would have been like?!
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    DefaultM said:
    When I was a kid my Dad was going to take me to a Leeds match, but my uncle was a policeman that worked the football ground and he said it wasn't appropriate for a primary school kid. Is that video what it would have been like?!
    Depends when you mean. Back in the 80s maybe. Nowadays, not so much.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    I think at home the only fans we've had issues with in my time of going are:

- Milwall of course, smashing up train doors and windows and ripping up fences between home and away fans
    - Chelsea who started a full on brawl in the home end one year when they won the league at our place and had bought tickets in the home seats (news link)
    - Wolves, because, well, they'm Wolves ay they
    - I'd say Derby fans, but they were more like the spotty little kids who make a lot of noise but probably bought their tickets with pocket money from their parents.

I know there's some big history with Leeds at West Brom but that's way before my time - people still talk about the incident where we relegated Leeds and apparently the fans smashed it up.

I know West Ham have a reputation for trouble as well but I don't think I've ever seen it from them in person - maybe it's more when at home than away matches?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    scrumhalf said:
    Spurs.

Tottenham bloody Hotspur.

I saw us in the season we went down. Our current defence is getting dangerously close to that level of crappiness.

Whoever comes in will have to sell so mnay players we may become wholesalers.

I refer the honourable members to the post I made a few days ago.

First half - wow, where did this come from?

Second half - wherever it came from, it went back there.

What a shower of shit.
    ^^^
    Yup.

Can't blame Harry now if he decides to move on.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    TTony said:
    ^^^
    Yup.

If?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Who do we think Kane will go to ?  
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Well that’s a point Everton didn’t deserve but we will take it 
    DCL once again proves he is made of quavers 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    sev112 said:
    Submarine corps. 

Dive, dive, dive... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hattigol said:
    TTony said:
    ^^^
    Yup.

If?
    I'm a Spurs fan.  Eternal optimist.

sev112 said:
    The difficulty of answering that question is the only reason I can think of for him not to go.

If we assume;
    • he'd really like the PL top scorer record
    • he'd move mainly for baubles (since Spurs would pay him whatever he wanted)
    Then, where - in the PL - would he go?
    • ManC: don't need him, and he'd spend more time on their well-stocked bench.  Unlikely to get the game time to get the record.
    • ManU: no love lost between Levy & ManU, he'd make them pay big, and are there then better options for them?  
    • Arsenal: I think we can discount that option.
    • Chelsea: Has Poch signed up yet?  That might persuade him to gamble on Chelsea being able to form a team from all those expensive parts and win something.  And they need a striker.
    • Newcastle:  A bigger gamble than Chelsea, though they have the need and the cash.  
    • Liverpool:  Hmmmmm - if he could learn the language, maybe that becomes the most likely?

TTony said:
    Hattigol said:
    TTony said:
    ^^^
    Yup.

If?
    I'm a Spurs fan.  Eternal optimist.

sev112 said:
    The difficulty of answering that question is the only reason I can think of for him not to go.

If we assume;
    • he'd really like the PL top scorer record
    • he'd move mainly for baubles (since Spurs would pay him whatever he wanted)
    Then, where - in the PL - would he go?
    • ManC: don't need him, and he'd spend more time on their well-stocked bench.  Unlikely to get the game time to get the record.
    • ManU: no love lost between Levy & ManU, he'd make them pay big, and are there then better options for them?  
    • Arsenal: I think we can discount that option.
    • Chelsea: Has Poch signed up yet?  That might persuade him to gamble on Chelsea being able to form a team from all those expensive parts and win something.  And they need a striker.
    • Newcastle:  A bigger gamble than Chelsea, though they have the need and the cash.  
    • Liverpool:  Hmmmmm - if he could learn the language, maybe that becomes the most likely?

100% he will sign for United, albeit for way more than it should be for someone with a year left on his contract.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Utd seems the most likely destination. He won't get a game at City. Chelsea don't seem to want a striker just loads of attacking midfielders and wingers. Newcastle have Isak and Wilson who don't seem to play together often as they go with one. Don't think he'll go to Liverpool.
    I hear he’s going to Argentina- Huracan specifically 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Also a bizarre system Arteta has set up today. Kiwior left-wing back? Partey right wing back? What's he smoking?

There's a natural left back on the bench but I don't think he trusts him to play the system. Just hoping we can come back and delay the title celebrations a bit.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    sev112 said:
    I hear he’s going to Argentina- Huracan specifically 
    That's where Ricky Villa came from, I think. 

Kane won't want to move abroad with a new baby and no family around him. That might also rule out a move to Man U, although that's possibly the most likely move. If whoever buys the club could deliver him as a golden hello that would be one hell of an introduction. 

He would never, ever go to Woolwich. And I don't think Poch could persuade him to go to Chelsea. 

He's staying. 
    scrumhalf said:
    He's staying. 
    He'd be on for a massive payday if he did.

Re-signing fee;  £20m?
    Weekly wage; £300k/wk for the next 4yrs?

And immortality in Spurs history and fan memories ....
    TTony said:
    scrumhalf said:
    He's staying. 
    He'd be on for a massive payday if he did.

Re-signing fee;  £20m?
    Weekly wage; £300k/wk for the next 4yrs?

And immortality in Spurs history and fan memories ....
    Not. A. Chance.

And since when did Levy pay those wages?!
    Hattigol said:

And since when did Levy pay those wages?!
    I believe he's on ~£200k/wk currently.  

Considering what it would cost to replace him (if even that were possible), I think Levy would pay, more-or-less, whatever Kane asked for.

First and foremost, Levy is a businessman.  That would make business-sense.